Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Works4Me

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
Canada
What's become painfully obvious in these threads is that Cook and company now have a massive credibility problem. Cook has over-promised and under-delivered too many times. The "great products in the pipeline" line has been so overused it's ridiculous. The notion of "Pro" has now become so watered down that when Cook says it it's virtually meaningless. And Schiller is as clued-out as ever and proves himself to be completely tone-deaf concerning how what he says will be perceived or is just plain out of touch. There is, right now, quite simply no Mac I can recommend to people - even the new MB Pros seem to have too many issues (not to mention the price). For the first time in my life I feel more like I'm stuck with Apple (because of software investments) than I feel like I want to stay with Apple because I like their products so much.

l4ke

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2017
The only thing right now for me that gives me a glimmer of hope for the future of Apples "Pro" market is by the amount of updates in recent times they've been doing to their "Pro" level software such as Logic Pro X & Final Cut X.

There's been so many great updates for Logic over the past 2-3 years, loads of new features, GUI updates ect and the same with FCPX. I'm thinking, if they didn't care about their Pro customers, why invest in development teams to keep this software alive? Why invest in software that requires high end hardware to work optimally if you don't intend to provide it at some stage?

I'm really close to switching over to Windows 10 at the moment, I absolutely love OSX and don't wan't to go. I'm holding out for this months event and WWDC this year to make my final decision.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Even better, but I somehow feel this will fall on deaf ears or blind eyes.

they are already there.

they are buying up data analysis/science based firms/technologies like a kid in a candy store.
they make a professional grade video editing solution

2 areas where you don't even have to ask if we'd like and need more RAM. Most applications in these realms see extra ram and go yep...I can use this and you will like how I use it.

I do both, 32gb would not go to waste on a beefy laptop. inb4 get a workstation random comment. several thousand dollars of gear does me no good when its sitting on desk at home I might see from 2130 to about 2330 then bed (when my life settles down, MBP I can work more mobile style before that).

either internally they aren't asking their data scientist acquisitions and/or FCP devs what would be nice to have or they are asking but not listening. Neither is a good sign really. There is a third option and these people just drink the company coolaid. Not a good thing either there really.

Reactions: sunwukong

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
The only thing right now for me that gives me a glimmer of hope for the future of Apples "Pro" market is by the amount of updates in recent times they've been doing to their "Pro" level software such as Logic Pro X & Final Cut X.
There's been so many great updates for Logic over the past 2-3 years, loads of new features, GUI updates ect and the same with FCPX. I'm thinking, if they didn't care about their Pro customers, why invest in development teams to keep this software alive? Why invest in software that requires high end hardware to work optimally if you don't intend to provide it at some stage?
I'm really close to switching over to Windows 10 at the moment, I absolutely love OSX and don't wan't to go. I'm holding out for this months event and WWDC this year to make my final decision.
In your use case with intense video/media processing, what is withholding you from a Hackintosh ?
I am actually surprised that the is so little on the internet on that subject (website/blogs, manuals, discussion groups) but maybe I just did not find it.

Last edited:

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
In your use case with intense video/media processing, what is withholding you from a Hackintosh ?
I am actually surprised that the is so little on the internet on that subject (website/blogs, manuals, discussion groups) but maybe I just did not find it.
I guess video editors / graders appreciate the stability the most.
So something that is not guaranteed to be stable, frightens.

But about hackintoshes;
Has somebody seen a complete list of chips used in 2016 imac?
I'd like to buy a motherboard and other components that use exactly same chips to ensure as less glitches as possible.

Reactions: ideaprison

thats all folks

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2013
Austin (supposedly in Texas)

show me something on a good workstation class hackintosh. it's all about quad core i5 and i7 systems. if there was some 8 to 20 core builds with enough PCIe lanes and slots for 3 or more GPUs and 2 or 3 other cards, I'd definitely be interested.

l4ke

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2017

Hackintosh's are great but they are still limited by the systems Apple release because there wont be driver support unless Apple ship a system with it in.
[doublepost=1488933103][/doublepost]
show me something on a good workstation class hackintosh. it's all about quad core i5 and i7 systems. if there was some 8 to 20 core builds with enough PCIe lanes and slots for 3 or more GPUs and 2 or 3 other cards, I'd definitely be interested.

I agree, whilst people have got the X99 series to work on Hackintosh (6-10 Core systems) they require ALOT of work to get working and are not always stable)

Reactions: thats all folks

thats all folks

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2013
Austin (supposedly in Texas)
Hackintosh's are great but they are still limited by the systems Apple release because there wont be driver support unless Apple ship a system with it in.

this exactly. no GTX 1000 series drivers at all. and no RX 470/480 drivers means that no matter what you build, even the a hackintosh falls ever further behind what can be done in Windows. even those of us squeezing even more years out of the cMPs see the writing on the wall (the wall says, give it up already).

I agree, whilst people have got the X99 series to work on Hackintosh (6-10 Core systems) they require ALOT of work to get working and are not always stable)

yup, at this point a hackintosh can serve as a headless iMac or a Mac Mini as it should be, but not a graphics/video workstation. even the 2013 MP hasn't been hacked. and that would be acceptable, even desirable as those CPU parts are starting to show up on the used market.

Reactions: l4ke

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

Apple doesn't usually do much new hardware at WWDC. But if you wait until October, I'm sure you'll be very happy with your decision. #neverwindows

Reactions: ideaprison

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
this exactly. no GTX 1000 series drivers at all. and no RX 470/480 drivers means that no matter what you build, even the a hackintosh falls ever further behind what can be done in Windows. even those of us squeezing even more years out of the cMPs see the writing on the wall (the wall says, give it up already).
So, you have missed this thread all these years?
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...out-nvidia-pc-non-efi-graphics-cards.1440150/
yup, at this point a hackintosh can serve as a headless iMac or a Mac Mini as it should be, but not a graphics/video workstation. even the 2013 MP hasn't been hacked. and that would be acceptable, even desirable as those CPU parts are starting to show up on the used market.
I guess there would be also lot others than video guys that would be very interested in middle priced highend desktop / low end workstation with macos. Something like with topend imac's 6700K or low end xeons (which, btw, now uses same LGA1151) AND with traditional expandability. Traditionally this has been calles xMac. But Apple will never do this, since they sell more with upgradeability taken away.
E.g. with cMP or xMac, you could easily and cheaply swap or add GPU. Witn nMP, you'll need enclosures and cables usually more than double the cost, sometimes more than just a new mac. Another reason Apple won't bring back expandability.

The cost-power efficiency IMHO is now that with 2nd most expensive i7, you'll get the allmost the power of low end xeon, but much more cheaper. Many cases i7 is even faster.

Macs use very few chips (like T1) that no other pc/component makers use. The key here would be just use only those that macs use, so there would be all drivers already from Apple.

I'm not sure what you mean by nMP hasn't been "hacked".
People have changed cpus, ssds and ram.

compete12

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2010
Faster processor, faster graphics, more RAM, better screen, better speakers, thinner, lighter, better battery life, not doing it for you?

Not if it's unnecessary.
My processor isn't doing anything that's maxing it out.
Same with graphics.
More RAM is always better, but Activity Monitor and daily usage smoothness say I'm OK.
No complaints with the screen.
Speakers: I'm not looking for Lexus Mark Levinson Theater Quality....it's a laptop.
Thinner? Fraction of an inch isn't gonna bother me.
Lighter? A pound isn't gonna make a difference with all the other stuff in my backpack.
Battery Life? I get about 4 hours. Never on it that long. Can always plug it in.

PLUS....I'm still looking at a Black Bezelled Silver Bottomed iMac with a Black Apple Logo running OS X which is a background with a DOCK which has pretty much looked the same for 10 years.

I don't NEED to spend thousands on a faster version of what I have.

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006
I think it would rock to have a "basic" Mac that can be upgraded just by plug-in another (or faster) processor, with an internal grafic chip like the MacBook Pro has and the possibility to connect an external grafic card box that allows to plug-in up-to 4 high-end grafic cards. So we'd have a basic box and another one for additional drives and another one for additional grafic cards. Flexible and my cats would love to sleep on the hot grafic card box :)

Reactions: toke lahti

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Not if it's unnecessary.
My processor isn't doing anything that's maxing it out.
Same with graphics.
More RAM is always better, but Activity Monitor and daily usage smoothness say I'm OK.
No complaints with the screen.
Speakers: I'm not looking for Lexus Mark Levinson Theater Quality....it's a laptop.
Thinner? Fraction of an inch isn't gonna bother me.
Lighter? A pound isn't gonna make a difference with all the other stuff in my backpack.
Battery Life? I get about 4 hours. Never on it that long. Can always plug it in.

PLUS....I'm still looking at a Black Bezelled Silver Bottomed iMac with a Black Apple Logo running OS X which is a background with a DOCK which has pretty much looked the same for 10 years.

I don't NEED to spend thousands on a faster version of what I have.

Then there's never going to be a reason to upgrade.

Reactions: Aldaris

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
So what I imagine Apple doing in the Pro area is basically this:

http://www.sentio.com/preorder

01bbd65b2cc02fec76f61b14dafe8f13.png

Now imagine that Apple do this, except it doesn't look gross. They introduce iPhone Pro and iPhone Probook (perhaps it's better if I am not in charge of the naming). Your "Super. Computer. Now Pro." in the pocket, and when you get home/to work, it magically connects to the laptop enclosure on your desk (W2 chip?). All your data, everything, is there. Running iOS Pro (up to 6 icons in a row when connected to Probook).

"While we're at it, we would like to announce we are retiring Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, Macbook and Mac Mini, as they are no longer necessary with Probook being available today. $2999 for basic config with 128 GB storage. One USB-C slot. Probook battery lasts all day, unless you bump brightness above 10% or use it for anything else than watching 720p movie on iTunes. This is the Pro machine to end all Pro machines."

Reactions: toke lahti

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Too little to late, Tim. We've moved on. Put that in your pipeline!

They still have people like me burning off personal (or business related) ROI. Thing is that window gets smaller and smaller.

Apple in my case has till 2018 to wow me. Not a I will take my ball and go home statement. Needs and wants. thing is my needs and wants are indicative of a fair amount of people. Lose vendor fanboyism (I use windows, mac os, Linux (different flavors) daily) and see all have their pro's and con's), you are left with a simple view. Whose hardware is helping the most. And some supporting software.

I like FCP (my only apple software at this point besides BBedit tbh) ....not enough to keep buying apple hardware in 2018 if not up to level I see others at though. here apple kind of hurt themselves. With the death of aperture and a forced changed for me to redo it all in another application....apple showed me while a massive pita, you can change established workflows and move on. This is what keeps some technical/pro users loyal. changing application workflows is painful as a process. Best not to force them to do...and see its very possible.

I can repeat this with FCP to something else. Here apple missed lessons taught by M$ and oracle even. make and support applications to keep your little junkies hooked for life. M$ and Oracle go out their way to make sure their SQL junkies don't get that urge to go open source. Or if they get that urge....when they sit down and work up pro/con lists for a decision paper......the cons say we can't leave our dealer, they have the stuff we can't change out easily.

Hell, Oracle plays all angles here, they bought up MySQL. So if you opt for that route and pay for support/enterprise features...you still pay them. But even for that there is stuff like MariaDB ( which was started by former MySQL people lol).

Apples failing here is they seem to be going 3rd party it....they will make the applications. Issue..very few make mac os only applications....most times they are ports of the windows versions. Or even Linux as quite a few CLI applications I run are first created on Linux...then someone is nice enough to port. Downside to this...if I switch the windows clients of stuff I use, runs just like the mac os one does. there is no workflow change. As in my case I run a synology NAS....my file storage is already on externals. Most applications the look/feel/usage settings are ye old xml or other universal text based files, copy replace, and themes, tweaks and such in place in seconds flat.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I browsed through some of this thread and I generally agree to the overall spirit myself. At home we (family and myself) still use Macs and iPhones. But for work I have switched to Windows 10, which I needed anyway and ran under Parallels in the past.

I can assure you that the Windows "junk" has changed to the better. My cheap ASUS notebook goes to sleep and wakes up reliably. I can plug and unplug external screens in the office (HDMI) and at home (miniDP) without any issues (and dongles). For work, I live in the different applications (MS Office, Matlab, Visual Studio, Lightroom) and hardly see a difference from the OS anyway.

OS X is still much more consistent than Windows 10, but this is not a big deal for me. The Mac hardware is probably also of better quality (as it should be for the price), but after 2 GPU burn outs (iMac27 and MBP15, both from 2011) last year I have mixed feelings about this, too. Last but not least, I enjoy being able to upgrade the SSD. This year I will give my money to Lenovo for a new Thinkpad. Money that I had put aside for a new MacBook, originally.

I'm not surprised, and quite pleased the PC World has gotten better. Apple needs some serious competition, and we may all be switching back in the next few years.

The fact that the mac team is now part of the iOS team does not bode well for the mac, despite apples protests to the contrary.

Congrats on your nice purchases.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
I think it would rock to have a "basic" Mac that can be upgraded just by plug-in another (or faster) processor, with an internal grafic chip like the MacBook Pro has and the possibility to connect an external grafic card box that allows to plug-in up-to 4 high-end grafic cards. So we'd have a basic box and another one for additional drives and another one for additional grafic cards. Flexible and my cats would love to sleep on the hot grafic card box :)

Like stacked boxes under or on top of mini?
Nice idea, only problem is that internal gpu upgrade for "normal" desktop is $200 and external is $1000...

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
I guess we will be getting "emoji pack pro", and "Pro watch bands".
[doublepost=1489494362][/doublepost]
Don't you just love diversity for diversity sake. Who cares if they're best qualified.

Quoters are filled, HR is happy. Meanwhile most of the new hires are like "whats a kernel?".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.