Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'You Will See Us Do More in the Pro Area'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 28, 2017.

1. kipwheeler macrumors newbie

kipwheeler

Like me. My 2008 is slowly dying, and I've resisted the trashcan for 9 years now, hoping for another cheese grater....

2. faneos, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017

faneos macrumors member

faneos

You should read again my post-and if is not much effort for you my previous posts in this thread before you placing me with other fellow members in your personal invented forum category of "others".
    I think I made very clear who I am and what is the problem general for my colleagues and me specifically with their latest "Pro" labelled products.If you are incapable to understand or you don't understand "in purpose" it's your problem not mine.

You said the current line of products is completely fine-sweet even and may i add dreamlike-heaven sent for professionals.Its your opinion based on your personal experience facts.I respect your opinion and maybe I agree with you:its fine for script writers,musicians,amateur-indie cinematographers-photographers,students,a lawyer,a architect or a doctor that want something sleek in his/her office.Its a lot of fun to shoot ultra compressed pseudo 4K your girlfriend with the new awesome iphone and edit it in fcpx or holiday photos to play in iphoto.

But is not enough for the rest of "us",when the BTO imac(that is faster than the trashcan mac"pro"!?)struggle to load and edit AVC-Intra 100 1080p footage of my P2. Imagine what happens when "comes" in the studio 4K,5K,6K footage from a RED Camera.
    Imagine a guy with the new macbook"pro" in the field with no power source who want to fast load photos and edit them realtime.I have to carry with me generators,cables and adapters?With the extra cost?What about
    someone who want to use the camera SDI for live monitoring capture and edit?
    How you do these operations in timcook times?With one ****in USB-C port?These are some fast examples.We can go in further technical and software details if you are up to it.

Of course I don't like this timcook guy and his team,when he continuously repeat his crap lies:"company is still dedicated to professionals" or "that are very important for us" I think he underestimates my intelligence.When customers come to studio we listen what they want music,expression or generally their vision etc my job is to make this a reality.I OBEY because they give us their sweet money and i humble respect that.
    If HE SAYS that the company is still dedicated to creative professionals-customers, company have to release a real PRO computer with US-WHAT WE WANT take into consideration.

3. jblagden macrumors 6502a

jblagden

I agree 100%! The Macs released under Tim's leadership are severely lacking in upgradability, repairability, expandability, and power. Though, that bit about power depends on your individual needs. Personally, I'd be fine with a 4 GHz i7, or at least a 3.5 GHz i7 - but I agree, there are folks who need more power, like 44 CPU cores (some workstations actually have 44 cores) Another issue is GPUs. A lot of folks, myself included, would really like to be able to get a Mac with an Nvidia GPU, or at least to be able to use a current-generation Nvidia GPU with a Mac.

Personally, I'd love to be able to have a desktop Mac with RAM slots, PCIe slots, hard drive bays, some sort of standard SSD interface, and plenty of ports. For specs, I'd want a 4 GHz i7, a GTX 1060 or better, a 512 gigabyte SSD, a 2 terabyte hard drive, and at least 8 gigabytes of RAM. I'd also eventually like to replace my 2011 MacBook Pro with one that's just as good in terms of upgradability, expandability, repairability, and the plethora of ports - Ethernet, USB-A, Thunderbolt/Mini Displayport, Magsafe, SD card slot.

4. Bacillus, Mar 3, 2017

Bacillus macrumors 6502a

Bacillus

What an absolute nonsense.
    Mac customers paid ca. 350% of actual material costs over the last 25 years, for logistics, marketing and R&D investment for the next generation of CPU's (whatever the roll-over rate, you don't seem to have the slightest notion of competitiveness in the IT-industry)
    Tens of billions on margins should have shaped an industry that could have been as big as IBM or Microsoft Corp.
    Mac customers are neither interested nor involved in other (more or less successful) iPlay stuff, so Apple should keep that out of their equation. iPhone business is quite capable to fund its own R&D (plus its cashburning "lifestyle" flirts with the health, content industry, Space Centers, Beats parafernalia etc. etc. They could even afford paying taxes if they were to...)
    So the only viable solution would have been a sell-off of Apple CPU business instead of slowly starving it - which I consider a Judas Act.

Imagine your Bank would notify that your savings were applied to their convergeance into the biscuits business because its Board considered that more profitable and trendy than banking.
    And first time cookie buyers have more priority than you anyway.
    You probably would be in a different mood.
    And if not so, I hope they will do so soon (you might very well prefer a cookie over The Cookie...)

5. jblagden, Mar 3, 2017

jblagden macrumors 6502a

jblagden

I'm also hoping for another cheese grater. Though, I'm interested in one that's aimed a little more towards consumers, with an i7 CPU, an Nvidia GPU and 4 non-ECC RAM slots. But still, the expandability of the cheese grater was fantastic, which is why I want one. The cheese grater had four hard drive bays, 4-8 RAM slots, a bunch of ports, and (I think) 3 PCIe slots. It was great for people who wanted upgradability, expandability, storage, and power. It was a workhorse. Really, it was the more utilitarian of the Macs. It accepted industry-standard parts, like hard drives, SSDs, RAM, and GPUs. If you wanted upgradability, and power, the cheese grater was the Mac for you. If you wanted to game on a Mac, the Mac Pro was the Mac for you. The cheese grater satisfied many types of users - video editors, photo editors, gamers, et cetera. Not to mention, it could have brought over some Windows users, by having the upgradability a Windows user would expect.

6. Askolan macrumors member

You're comparing a generalized product request for emerging markets that can't afford iPhones (think Africa, India) versus a request to actually make good products. See the flaw in your logic there? Enjoy your butterfly keyboard.

7. jblagden macrumors 6502a

jblagden

"First time buyers"
    Exactly. That group is even more important because they're a lot more likely to switch back to Windows if Apple does something they don't like than the "Apple Faithful". But then there are also longtime Mac users who are leaving because they don't like Apple's hardware direction.

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Even better, but I somehow feel this will fall on deaf ears or blind eyes.

9. Pistol Peto macrumors member

Pistol Peto

I'm comparing two questions that came up at Apple's investor meeting. You quoted one. I quoted another. You seem to think a question asked to Cook at this meeting is meaningful. I showed you it isn't. Mostly though - I wanted to show how dumb investors can be when it comes to tech!

10. jblagden macrumors 6502a

jblagden

Sort of like the dihydrogen monoxide scare.

11. anewman143 macrumors regular

anewman143

I think what we all need to accept (grudgingly, for me) is that we can all vote with our collective wallet. Tim and Jony clearly have - they are making GOBS of money for their company and shareholders doing exactly what they are doing. Me personally? I'm sick over it. Last Apple desktop purchase was 5+ years ago. My favorite app, Aperture, is dead. The Mac OS is becoming more and more a desktop iOS. So I've done something that I've never done before - I've hedged my bets and built a screamer of a hackintosh. I can boot into Sierra or Windows 10 Pro, got a big case with tons of HD/SSD bays, plenty of RAM, dual nVidia GPU's, etc, etc. I can upgrade any and all individual components as I see fit.

Was it work? Yup. The physical build was fun and fairly bullet-proof (never done that before and I'm almost 51) and the software setup really wasn't horrible - had to learn a lot of new vocabulary and such, but that was kinda fun too - the online community was incredibly helpful. It had it's moments of stress, but overall I'm really quite thrilled with the result.

Is it my ideal answer? Hardly. But the writing on the wall suggests that Apple's interest in desktop computing is notably waning and I don't care to work on an "afterthought".

My one caveat - this machine is my home "toy". I strongly believe that using a hackintosh in a mission-critical business setting is a dangerous choice.

12. Askolan macrumors member

You argued that the noise we make isn't being noticed. My quote clearly showed it is. Your quote is just meant to disparage that argument and it does so illogically; you are pointing out a clearly silly suggestion by an investor (which shows he is aware that Apple is struggling in emerging markets) while I am pointing out that investors are well aware of our "rants." The uproar felt by Apple's loyalist is being noticed, and isn't confined to these forums, whether you like it or not.

13. Pistol Peto macrumors member

Pistol Peto

Oh I agree :apple: needs to release a new Mac Pro and updated iMacs! I agree lots of people are saying it. I just don't think a question at an investors meeting proves anything. That's all I'm saying. Most of what is brought up at these meetings is bunk.

14. Askolan macrumors member

Its not the ideas that the investors are bringing up that matters, nor did I even use any investors 'idea.' Its the premise of what is being brought up and which I clearly pointed out. Investors may not know how to tap emerging markets (hence silly circle phone) nor how to appease the most loyal of apple consumers by releasing a proper Mac Pro and/or iMac, but they do know that money is declining in those segments and the Apple faithful are pissed off. When Steve was around, the only reason the newest and greatest wasn't around was because of Apple's reliance on a third party be it chips, screens, color coating, what have you. Now something else is up at Apple and our rants and withholding of cash is finally being noticed by Timmy and the investors.

15. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

I decided that when the 2016 was released, my 2015 MacBook Pro would be my last apple laptop. The new Mbp cost too much money and lack features that older models have. Magsafe has saved my laptop countless times. The lack of non USB c ports on the new Mbp is comical.

Tim doesnt know what pro means.

16. Pistol Peto macrumors member

Pistol Peto

Good, we agree. That was literally my only point.

17. Askolan macrumors member

I may have confused you for the poster before you quoting, he said that our "rants" on these forums are moot as they go unnoticed, and thought it was a follow up argument.

18. Pistol Peto macrumors member

Pistol Peto

No problem. Have a good day! I'm going to try to figure out this :apple: watch I just bought!

19. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

As I said in my original post, Apple are the 'iPhone company', not a computer company. The Mac side of things is just a little sideline with no real importance to Apple although the money it brings in is still substantial. Apple are happy for the profit generated from doing nothing (starving it, as you say).

You need to accept that the Mac doesn't mean much to a company who's primary focus is on phones. It's not going to change any time soon. In fact, if Apple could kill the Mac in favour for the tablet future they believe in, they would have done. Thankfully, we are not anywhere near this stage yet - but Apple doesn't care about the old fashioned computer. In their eyes, it belongs in the past hence years and years of severe neglect.

20. Bacillus, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017

Bacillus macrumors 6502a

Bacillus

Never.
    As long as Mac customer's investments do flow into different businesses, I'll consider that both impertinent and (albeit formally legal) theft. I guess your bank savings need to flow into biscuits, before you to understand.
    There is no old-fashioned computer - other than by own neglect.
    90% of the world's business runs on computers.
    Hence, there are tablets with shortcomings. And laptops without touchscreens.
    None of that gets addressed inflating the "Pro"-label (to appease freelancers residing in coffeeshops) or a $400 TouchBar gimmick (to avoid developing a multi-touch in MacOS)
    Lamentary suppliers become obsolete by neglect in healthy markets, over time.
    They blame soft markets and an "old-fashioned" direction only conceal their shortcomings. That's impertinent if they have more cash and momentum than many countries on the planet. Brought in by customers who expect their supplier to remain on target.

Similar for TimeWarner/Disney/Sony Broadcast acquisition(s) and project Titan. Chances are significant that they blow it because of arrogance and substantial lack of know-how.
    This is capital brought in by customers to innovate the core business they bought themselves into.
    Not for high-risk adventures that can only be afforded by cross-subsidizing on a insane scale - to conceal losses and incompetence.
    And the Spaceship, hopefully gets launched or be put it up for rental...

21. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I will laugh so hard I may cry when Schiller or Cook step on the stage in October and say "We promised to do more in the Pro area. The day has come today. Your lives will never be the same. For the creatives... for the misfits... for the special ones... for the first time... we are introducing iPhone Pro."

In other words, I'll believe in that commitment when I see it.

22. Bacillus, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017

Bacillus macrumors 6502a

Bacillus

That wouldn't surprise me.
    Opportunist moves determine the route, which could very well force them to relabel/reassign an overexpensive iPhone with features that hardly anybody needs. Could very well be the main thing in the pipeline. And then the "Pro" moniker is the escape. Just because.

23. lowejazz macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Mar 6, 2017 ---
    Will Apple ever get around to fixing all the many problems in OSX (Safari's jumping links, etc.) and will they ever update the iMacs? Either properly support the iMac users or open up OSX so it will run on PCs.

Frustrated iMac User

24. Askolan macrumors member

"The all new iPhone Pro is a whopping 2 mm thinner crowd gasps. We magically removed the buttons and used the latest quantum physics to engineer a 6.0" screen to fit in the with the same design we've been recycling. Now turn your phone on with the robustly reliable Siri! The x% extra real estate means x% more productivity! Why would anyone want a MacBook Pro now?" - Tim Cook logic.

25. imronburgundy macrumors regular

imronburgundy

/s you dropped this