Apple changes the 2 years circle to 3 years as intel did?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zalchi, Nov 9, 2016.

1. zalchi macrumors member

zalchi

I got a theory: it is getting harder and harder to show a markably new stuff in every two years. let's face it, there are plenty people who buy the new model year after year, but the most people changed his iPhone for a bigger one.

3GS, 4, 4S -> 5, 5S -> 6, 6S, 7

now there's no reason to enlarge the models even further, but this is why it's reasonable to release a new size between 4.7 -inch and 5.5-inch (and maybe a 5.8-inch Pro version to replace the Plus).

but the substance of this theory in a nutshell is: the development in the high-end smartphone industry necessarily slows down (just a little, one third), so the size of the group of people, who year after year seeing the new models can still loves their 3 years old iPhone, is constantly growing. good for Apple, because these consumers stay in the family, but the other side, Apple has to change the 2 years circle to 3 years as intel did: process-architecture-optimization.

what do you think?

2. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I think the only difference between the S models and non-S models is the design. People only look at the iPhone 7 as sort of a 6ss because it looks so similar to the 6 and 6s. If it had a brand new design, people wouldn't even question it.

And as far as designs go, Apple is more than capable of releasing a new design every two years if they want to. Heck, other OEMs release new designs every two months.

3. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

I believe they could of slightly changed the design if they wanted to. maybe make the edges a little more square so it is easier to hold. cut down the bezels slightly. and it would look like a different phone. but who knows, maybe this time they just didn't care.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

A theory that has been brought up by various people and discussed for some time now:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...he-x-xs-x-xs-tick-tock-upgrade-cycle.1968171/

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/upgrade-cycle.1976254/

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/new-upgrade-cycle-theory.1997624/

5. chronoflash, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016

chronoflash macrumors member

chronoflash

Launching a new device every year is far too short a period of time for innovation to take place. Hence the poor differences between iPhones from one year to another. Design has little, if not nothing at all to do with innovation, more with business. Innovation needs time to occur, unlike profits, that are short-termed.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I'm viewing this a different way. I feel like every year we saw a clear improvement or feature except this one (except maybe thebplus model)

3G - vastly superior internet browsing speeds
    3GS - vastly superior CPU and gpu (first increase in this regard)
    4 - vastly improved ppi that remained the mobile standard for years
    4s - Siri
    5 - bigger screen
    5s - Touch ID
    6- Apple Pay and much bigger screens
    6s - 3D Touch
    7 - ?

Unless we want to either call the water resistance or a non tactile home button a feature I got nothing. Two cameras I guess can count for something maybe. Idk if that's quite what people had in mind.

Now this isn't being said to say Apple has failed or the 7 sucks or whatever. It's just a point of observation and adding a btnif credence, in my eyes, to apple's direction going forward. I definitely see this year's phone as having less to get excited about than most previous launches did, but part of that has to do with where we are with iPhone. Ten years later it's hard to keep reinventing the wheel.

7. futurejetblackowner macrumors member

I'm waiting to get my jet black 7+, but my 5s isn't doing a terrible job. It definitely has its fair share of issues (which is why I'm not even waiting for 8 despite the supposed overhaul), but it's not totally crap yet.