Apple Charges Customer 122 Times for Lion

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 27, 2011.

1. MacRumors, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2011

MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John Christman purchased OS X Lion on July 23, and paid $31.79 after sales tax. Then, his PayPal account was charged $31.79 an additional 121 times, for a total of $3,878.40.

Clearly Mr. Christman didn't need 122 copies of Lion, and something has gone awry. John got in touch with both PayPal and Apple support, but said both sides pointed fingers at each other. "Apple Blames PayPal, PayPal blames Apple. They both are claiming to investigate, but I am stuck broke for three days now."

Christman thinks it is related to the new iCloud feature that allows iTunes to automatically download previous purchases:
    He downloaded 116 apps total, but noted that several apps failed to download and needed to be restarted. 116 apps downloaded and 121 extra charges seems too close to be mere coincidence.

Christman isn't the only person to face these issues surrounding Lion and PayPal. There is a lengthy discussion on Apple's support website about the issue, and other bloggers have run into similar problems.

Even though the purchases above say "refunded", Christman says he hasn't seen a dime. "Apple claims there was only one transaction. When I told PayPal to dispute them, they closed the cases and marked the items as refunded on the 23rd. Bear in mind all this money was taken and never returned yet."

"My mortgage is due in 2 days, and thanks to them, I don't have the money."

MacRumors reached out to Apple for comment, who said they would work with John directly to try to get his issues resolved.

Article Link: Apple Charges Customer 122 Times for Lion

2. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

3. Ubuntu, Jul 27, 2011

Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Ouch! I had a similar issue on a smaller scale (was charged £400 more than I should have been on my iMac) but Apple death with it nicely :)

4. hamean macrumors member

I guess he should've linked his itunes account to a credit card. That way he could still pay his mortgage.

5. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Ouch. One charge for me! I doubt Apple would refuse to refund this though... Few people would buy Lion over a hundred times intentionally. :p

6. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Or Apple could have made less of an arse of his purchase in the first place?

7. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

Hhahaha

I'll bet it's paypal. About a month ago, I sent someone a $10 refund for a $40 purchase. ...well, it sent them $10 seventeen times. Paypal blamed my bank! ...but then sorted it out to be their own fault later. (how would it have been my bank!?)

Having used ebay & paypal since day 1, is it me or have both gone steadily downhill?

8. addicted44 macrumors 6502a

If he had followed my motto, he would have been fine.

"Paypal. Just say no."

I don't think there is a more ethically challenged company of similar size than Paypal. Just need to google a little bit to hear all the horror stories.

9. ucantgetridofme macrumors 6502

Way to go Apple, screw this guy so bad that he can't pay his mortgage. Apples greed has no bounds.

10. alectheking macrumors 6502a

Did you even read the story? He didnt click anything 122 times, he clicked "download all" and for every app download it also somehow charged him for a copy of Lion.

11. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

Bummer, that's why I used iTunes gift cards... :cool: :rolleyes:

12. RMo, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

While amusing, I'm slightly disappointed that this is front-page news.

EDIT: I should clarify my reasoning, since some people seem to misunderstand. This is a freak event (or a few, apparently) related only to PayPal, and it seems more worthy of the former Page 2.

13. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

This happened to me once using iTunes. I was charged 5 times for buying a CD. After 3 months Apple refunded me my money. I didn't like the album that much.

On another note my mobileme was cancelled 8 weeks ago and I still haven't received my refund.

14. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Wow, that's gotta suck. I only got charged once (thankfully) but it didn't use my remaining iTunes balance and charged the full amount to my card. Now my remaining balance isn't even showing up either.

15. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

Sounds like Apple is going to be sending a free computer or two out.

16. theelysium Suspended

theelysium

You should all get a small credit card with a limit of $500 no overdraft on it that you use online. That way if an accident happens it only effect a small credit card and not your bank account.

iTunes accounts are being hacked too and charges like this are occurring. I know two people so far in the last month who have been hacked and had their accounts charged up.

Same issue form Apple, dragging feet and pointing fingers. Apple needs better customer service for their digital stores. They only have email support right now, but they really need is a dedicated 800 number and folks on the other end who can fix transition issues immediately.

17. pcmxa macrumors regular

pcmxa

Are you psychic? Did you watch him click purchase 122 times? This isn't the only report of this happening.

18. swarmster macrumors 6502a

swarmster

I'm sure it'll get straightened out (it took Paypal a few days to actually refund my money the last time I bought something from Buy.com on eBay and they didn't send me anything, even after Buy.com "refunded" my money). But just to get this straight:

Beta development software + financial accounts essential to your livelihood = bad idea.

Check.

19. snebes macrumors 6502a

As someone who deals with credit card processing, and has seen this many times before, I can safely assume that neither Apple or Paypal are at fault, but the credit card processor that handled the transaction probably was.

I have seen this happen more than once, where there is a funky character--usually a bar (|)--used on the name/address and causes this to happen. Guess who entered that character? Very likely to be the customer. However, it doesn't excuse the credit card processor for not handling that character properly.

Edit;

Taking a look at the picture in the post, it appears that this wasn't used with the Paypal debit card, but just a direct paypal transaction. But it could be a similar cause.

20. bushido, Jul 27, 2011

bushido Suspended

bushido

didnt even know u could pay with paypal LOL guess i'll stick to giftcards

21. rush4ever macrumors newbie

This is the exact reason why I only use gift cards and never provide my information to them.

22. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

LOL! Sorry but 122 times is beyond ridiculous, I mean even 5 is ridiculous, let alone being charged twice.

23. Kognito macrumors regular

Kognito

How do you think Apple made Lion so cheap for the rest of us?

24. irun5k macrumors 6502

If you're a mere $3K away from being broke and not being able to eat, pay your mortgage, etc., then an upgrade to Lion ought to be considered a luxury item, no?

25. paul4339 macrumors 65816

haha, typical, blame first, then investigate.