Apple Cinema Display Update E.T.A?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CyCoPaTh, Jan 27, 2008.

1. CyCoPaTh macrumors newbie

I've recently decided to lay to rest my now 5-6 year old Mirror Drive Door G4. It has served me extremely well, Its been physically switched on for i'd say 3/6 years that i've owned it and has hardly ever had any problems - an extremely well made computer that is a superb testament to apple design quality. I am now ready to buy a new Mac Pro, I've got my eye the 3.0GHz model.

Talk around the place however seems to be that we are expecting cinema display updates soon. As I'm not in that much of a rush, and I care a lot about having the best display possible, I can wait a little while to buy the Mac Pro and hopefully new updated ACD together.

Have we got any theories when the displays will be updated? Upcoming apple events, or annual dates when they usually announce product updates?

Thanks,

Christian

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

as far as i know, their update will be squeezed in somewhere if anytime this year. i mean the displays were built pretty future proof, their panels and quality were and still are ahead of most other premium and consumer based displays. i take it they will maybe upgrade the inner technology and work on a slightly upgraded panel and introduce LED based panels similar to macbook/macbookpros displays.

but dont be too worried about it, honestly theyre still great displays, there probably will be a secondary device that might comine as a powerbrick/port connection to connect the display to various peripherals or connect to it aswell. that way they dont gunk up the panel itself.

hmm who knows, hopefully my replacement 30" display doesnt have any defective pixels or white spots, thats all im concerned with at this point =)

:apple:

3. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I was thinking about this alot over the past week and posted a couple of threads myself.

However, today, I went to a store that sells ACD's and had a look at the 23" ACD and compared to the iMac, the ACD was GORGEOUS. It was so much better quality than the iMac and although previously preferring the Glossy displays in laptops, I was actually suprisingly impressed with the crispness of the matte display.

I will definately be buying one even if they're not updated.

4. gotzero macrumors 68040

I use 23" ACDs, and the only features I would like (note, not "need") besides switching to 30" panels would be an included camera and HDCP, so I would not have to buy a TV...

Other than that, the displays are perfect for me.

5. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Would you recommend them over any 3rd party displays? I'm looking to buy an ACD but as a student, I don't want to buy one if it's not the best for the money

6. gotzero macrumors 68040

If you are not obsessing over color quality, then I think there are competitors out there for far less money that will do the job perfectly well.

If I was buying today I would probably get a Dell or HP with a camera/HDCP, and save some cash at the same time.

7. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Can you tell us how you "know" this???

D

8. benpatient macrumors 68000

9. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

ACDs will never be updated again. Ever. They use a rare substance called "Alumi-tonium", of which there is a limited supply on earth. Once this runs out, Apple displays will be made with inferior parts and still sold at the same price with no announcements whatsoever. Better get one now, and hurry.

10. skinzy macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat

I also own the same G4 mirror draw and have ordered a new desktop pro without a monitor. I'm going to hook up an old CRT to it when it arrives (i'm waiting for 8800 graphics card ETA 2/18) and wait a month or two. If no new ACD appears I will by the new NEC 30" LCD3090WQXi just announced. Much better specs than current ACD with 3yr warranty.

11. CyCoPaTh thread starter macrumors newbie

Good to see another MDD owner who's also looking to buying a new MP now! I am also planning get the 8800...

I see that apple has released a bunch of new stuff over the last day or two, iphone/ipod & software updates. My hopes were momentarily raised for a display update, but it doesn't look like it'll happen.

It does seem like the current ACDs are excellent, S-IPS etc. I've read good reviews everywhere and I have seen them physically and they are clearly superb. My concern though is that the updated ACDs might have that cool black margin around it that the new iMac's or maybe a new streamlined enclosure, built in camera?. I don't want to miss out on that if it means waiting a little_while_longer... I still remember that only a few months after buying my MDD they came out with the completely revolutionary G5... I must admit it hurt a little...

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Alumi-tonium... good one. :D

13. Crow47 macrumors member

I've had significant use with the ACD's where I go to school. They are excellent monitors. Frankly, I think there really isn't anything to be updated on them.

So what exactly are we all thinking that they would update on it?

14. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

WOW, where do we start.

The panels.... yups that's about it. The case is really a non issue for me. More ports would be nice but I really couldn't ask for anything other than a new panel that offers 1200:1 contrast ratio, 100% NTSC, and a faster refresh rate.

Or just lower prices so that I could justify getting one or two more while I am still on a budget. If I had the cash to blow on them then they wouldn't be a problem, but I can get a NEC 26" for $1200 and just spend $100 on a USB and FW 400 PCI card.

15. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

New panels, Built in iSight, IR sensor for remote with Front Row, Thinner, More ports, Maybe slightly new design like the iMac Black Border.

I have to say, I can't believe it is taking so freakin' long. I never thought it would take so long to see them updated. After they got rid of the iSight and STILL haven't replaced it with anything. After the new Mac Pro now I FOR SURE thought they would be updated at the same time, but NO AGAIN :( It is making me mad because I am going to be buying a new Mac Pro soon and they better have new displays by then :(

16. macgruder macrumors 6502

But what panels would they install? I think the only S-IPS 23" panel is made by Philips.LG and the ACD already has it. I suppose they could use the panel that is in the iMac, but I'm not so sure it is any better. If you want it that badly, you could buy the NEC 24", I guess. Perhaps Apple want to stick with 23" for consistency and pixel pitch reasons.

I think only 3 or 4 companies make panels, and unless they have an update the ACD panels won't be updated. Although an update to other things might be good.

17. mretman macrumors newbie

I hate that black border. The current Cinema Displays are much more elegant then the iMacs.

I use a 23" Cinema Display at work and love it. I have been considering getting one for my personal use but I'd hate to spend $900 just before they come out with new ones. Does anyone know where I might find a refurbished one?

18. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

There are basically no refurbished ones except the occasional that appear on Apple's website: but you have to check everyday. They are gone within hours to a day of appearing for $749. Rare.

Have never seen them anywhere else.

19. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

They are not being updated because they are strong sellers and currently match the MacPros and MacBookPros.

Apple is really unconcerned in the short term with the extra connectivity features we all want.

20. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I understand. At work we use plenty of ACDs from 20" to 30" and the Studio Displays as well. They are wonderful in color accuracy and build quality. One of the only Apple products next to the iMac that have never given me any trouble.

They just cost too much for the panels that are in them. I think Apple is planning on rolling out a 24" non glossy panel from the same company everyone else is using to replace the 23" though. All in all they just need to lower the prices and I would be happy. Even if it was just $100.

21. macgruder macrumors 6502

The 23" ACD's are already the cheapest S-IPS out there, and you want Apple to drop the price further. Dream on. :)

22. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Honestly yes. When I can get comparable color in a display that is $200 cheaper, or offers the same panel and color accuracy but cuts Apple down the middle (26" NEC) than I have to consider my options.

23. macgruder macrumors 6502

Comparable color for a display that is $200 cheaper? Which one are you talking about because I don't think it exists. afaik, the only displays that are $200 cheaper are ones with cheaper PVA panels and they don't have as good color rendition.

The 26" NEC doesn't really cut the 2 displays down the middle. It's the same number of pixels as the 23" but with a bigger pixel pitch, so is unsuitable for pro work.

24. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I wouldn't say that the display isn't suitable for pro work at all.

As for comparable displays check out the NEC Multisync 2470. It's just as bright as the ACD, has a higher contrast ratio, and is wider for $400 less. The Dell E248 uses pretty much the same panel and half the price.

I am not sure if they use a PVA panel but the page designers have been using them and the color is as accurate as the ACDs.

I haven't seen the HP 30" in action but from what I read is used to use the same panel as the 30" ACD but it's stuck in one hell of an ugly case. The current model is typical of all the current displays, higher contrast ration, higher % NTSC, etc. and it's going for $1400, $400 less than the ACD.

That small price difference is very worth it for the ACDs if there was no issue with cash, but when there is, having an ugly display for $400 or so less makes a difference.

25. macgruder macrumors 6502

The Dell E248 has a TN display. In other words, the cheapest there is. There is no comparison with the ACD. It's misinformed to make any comparison between a TN and a S-IPS.

The NEC 2470 uses a S-PVA display, and thus is not as good for pro color work as a S-IPS display. And it is for this reason that NEC also has in their range the NEC LCD2490WUXi which does have a S-IPS display and costs $1100.

A wider display is not better if it has the same number of pixels. It just has a bigger pixel pitch. So it depends on your preference.

You want Apple to make a cheaper display, but then they'd have to use the cheaper PVA panel. Then you should just buy the NEC Multisync 2470. The ACD is a pro level panel, and hence it has a S-IPS panel. Similar, pro panels such as the NEC also have S-IPS displays and are considerably more expensive.

You want Apple to reduce the price of the ACD and use cheaper materials. It's like asking BMW to make a Ford. The target consumer of the ACD certainly doesn't want that to happen and if they were to put a PVA panel in there, they would lose a lot of sales from the professionals who require the best panels.