Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple has just issued a press release announcing 600,000 pre-orders for iPhone 4 yesterday, "far higher" than the company anticipated. In the release, the company also apologizes for the frustration and difficulties experienced by those attempting to pre-order.
Yesterday Apple and its carrier partners took pre-orders for more than 600,000 of Apple's new iPhone 4. It was the largest number of pre-orders Apple has ever taken in a single day and was far higher than we anticipated, resulting in many order and approval system malfunctions. Many customers were turned away or abandoned the process in frustration. We apologize to everyone who encountered difficulties, and hope that they will try again or visit an Apple or carrier store once the iPhone 4 is in stock.
Earlier today, several iPhone carrier partners had indicated iPhone 4 traffic and pre-order volume ten times that of last year's iPhone 3GS launch.

Article Link: Apple Claims Largest Ever First-Day iPhone Pre-Orders of 600,000

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
I hope they have plenty on hand for the people who prefer to wait in line on launch day. :(

Comment

Luiis81

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
I thought I'd be more with all the outlets taking reorders and so many technical issues. I guess it really is a big number tho..

Glad i was able to get two of those 600,000!

Comment

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I like how apple doesn't mention ATT at all (or any other carrier). Same at the WWDC keynote.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I like how apple doesn't mention ATT at all (or any other carrier). Same at the WWDC keynote.

cause there's a bunch of carriers. I don't see why they would single out AT&T. this was an international launch.

Comment

brianbobcat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2003
Illinois
I don't see why it would be so prohibitive for them (both Apple AND AT&T) to have a massive amount of servers to be able to handle the rush. Sure it'd be a waste for most of the year, but the frustration faced by me and EVERYONE else yesterday was ridiculous for a 4th year in a row now! I haven't heard of one story where the person was able to order smoothly and/or quickly.

Now here's a question, would Verizon be able to handle this amount of load on a single day?

-Brian

Comment

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Super impressive. It really makes sense why the servers got hammered. Well, I'm not a "Gotta Have It, Gotta Have It" kind of customer that just wants to be a show off to his co-workers and school mates like many people here. I can wait until the fanfare dies a bit. The iPhone WILL be there when I get there.

Comment

CJM

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2005
U.K.
The factories must be working insanely fast to produce enough units.. :O

Comment

chedda

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2006
Underwater
Halo

I suppose this is history in the making now for apple, some of these bod's will also be getting an imac i am sure, within weeks ! The halo effect for the mac should be awesome.

Comment

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I don't see why it would be so prohibitive for them (both Apple AND AT&T) to have a massive amount of servers to be able to handle the rush. Sure it'd be a waste for most of the year, but the frustration faced by me and EVERYONE else yesterday was ridiculous for a 4th year in a row now! I haven't heard of one story where the person was able to order smoothly and/or quickly.

As you mentioned, it would be a huge waste. Also they know that you're going to buy an iPhone anyways. The fanbase has created a disincentive to make any sort of network or processing capacity upgrades. Also even if they did invest in "extra capacity" just for the launch, I don't think anyone saw an order of magnitude increase coming.

Comment

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
Glad I got one on reserve at the Apple Store on the 24th. I called the store to confirm my reservation and was told that they received it and will be setting it aside for me, only going to be given up if I don't make it on the 24th (fat chance!) :D:D:D

Comment

BladesOfSteel

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2009
St. Paul

Now here's a question, would Verizon be able to handle this amount of load on a single day?

-Brian

And that's why they don't do it - because it would be a waste. I would assume they think that the cost of adding to their servers far outweighs the frustration of some - who probably will buy the iPhone anyways.

To your other question - I think there are a lot of companies that would've struggled to handle the load Apple and ATT took yesterday - Verizon included.

Comment

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
I think by the time I go back to school 1 out of every 4 people I see on campus will have an iPhone 4.

Comment

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

-Brian

Well, stop buying Apple's products, problem solved. :p

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.