Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Just a question on my mind.
I live in Chicago 10 mins from 2 Apple Store. Should I wait and buy it on the 23rd or Pre Order this Friday?

I do not mind get up early to wait in line anyway? Any thoughts?
In the past, I've noticed that they always had iphones in stock the very next day. And even for launch day, there were no issues on certain stock.

However, I think with this pandamic, you may want to go to the store today or tomorrow and ask what their procedures are. I know that when the apple store near me was open (now closed for the 3rd time due to the cases in covid going up), they do not let anyone inside without an appointment, and they have standard procedures. They have 2 lines, 1 line is for those who have in-store pick up or to make an appointment for sales person to help them with questions or to look at products, and the other line was more for genius bar appointments. They didn't do walk-ins. They do temp check. So I'm pretty sure most apple stores are doing something similar.

For me, I plan on ordering it online for delivery. Not going to take a risk of getting COVID over a phone. I would just pre-order it.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I haven’t preordered a phone since the 6! Got the X months after it came out. What’s it’s been like? If I order as soon as preorders start, will I have any issues with Apple site or app? Hoping to get delivery the 23rd!

Tried setting it up on app but I want to pay in full so it won’t let me save the order.
You can save it as "Favorites" that's what I did. So when the Pro max pre-order starts on 11/6/2020, I will just go ahead and go to favorites and simply order it there.

Past 2 pre-orders i've noticed that the apple store app on your ipad/iphone seems to go live faster than the one on apple.com

Cscottrun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
I've decided to downsize from the 11 Pro Max to the 12 Pro. I am an IUP person so I've already walked through the whole pre-approval process. Hopefully I'll be able to grab the pacific blue color on the 16th. Glad that the Pro is the phone shipping the earliest. I've had an iPhone ever since the 4 was released and this will be the first time I purchase a phone in a color different than black or grey.

Reactions: darrinS

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
You can save it as "Favorites" that's what I did. So when the Pro max pre-order starts on 11/6/2020, I will just go ahead and go to favorites and simply order it there.

Past 2 pre-orders i've noticed that the apple store app on your ipad/iphone seems to go live faster than the one on apple.com
Since the preapproval process for first wave was yesterday wouldn’t the pro max be November 1 it’s confusing apple don’t say anything?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Since the preapproval process for first wave was yesterday wouldn’t the pro max be November 1 it’s confusing apple don’t say anything?
I honestly don't know. I don't plan on going with IUP this year and will be paying outright. Just wait 3 weeks.

dsmill

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013
I have AT&T an I am not going to use their payment plan this year. I am going to be using my Apple Card instead to get the Pro Max. Should I get the AT&T version or a sim free? I have never had a sim free before. What are the benefits of a sim free? Will my XS Max sim fit in the sim free phone?

PrimeTimeMKTO

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2014
Minnesota
I have AT&T an I am not going to use their payment plan this year. I am going to be using my Apple Card instead to get the Pro Max. Should I get the AT&T version or a sim free? I have never had a sim free before. What are the benefits of a sim free? Will my XS Max sim fit in the sim free phone?
I’m still confused by this too. I have an X with Verizon. Both Sim Free and Activate options allow me to get Verizon’s $440 trade in credit as well as Verizon’s payment plan. Apple was no help either, they told me sim free was only for buying the phone outright or using Apple payments. This contradicts the order form, I can clearly select Verizon payments with the sim free option. Still don’t know which way to purchase.

Reactions: dsmill

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Just a question on my mind.
I live in Chicago 10 mins from 2 Apple Store. Should I wait and buy it on the 23rd or Pre Order this Friday?

I do not mind get up early to wait in line anyway? Any thoughts?

I’m in Chicago too. While COVID isn’t as heavy in the news, it’s still a factor. Check the Apple stores to see what their process will be. There will most likely be some restrictions in place.

Reactions: Heatherra

dsmill

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013
I’m still confused by this too. I have an X with Verizon. Both Sim Free and Activate options allow me to get Verizon’s $440 trade in credit as well as Verizon’s payment plan. Apple was no help either, they told me sim free was only for buying the phone outright or using Apple payments. This contradicts the order form, I can clearly select Verizon payments with the sim free option. Still don’t know which way to purchase.

I know that if I get the AT&T version, not on the AT&T payment plan, using my Apple Card the phone will be unlocked. I think the only difference might be the activation fee if you don't get a sim free. If my sim works in the new phone, I will do it that way.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Going for the Pacific Blue Pro Max 256GB so I’ll be on the sidelines for 3 more weeks.

Plan to order sim-free using the military discount and trade-in my 11 Pro Max. Hopefully there’s no issue with activation. I had my number put on the e-SIM so I could have the nano-SIM free for any international travel (obviously didn’t know COVID would strike and kill all of that).

Thinking I better call Verizon and check with them while I have some time. They will be slammed starting Friday.

This will be my first time ordering through Apple, so hope all goes well!

hey_dude1643

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2015
Toronto
Will preorder the iPhone 12 Pro 128GB in either blue or white. Haven't decided yet, got till 8 am EST in Canada here.
I was planning to get the Pro Max variant, however with Apple increasing the screen size of the 12 Pro to 6.1", I do not think I will be going that route anymore.

quPham90

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2019
Chicago, IL
In the past, I've noticed that they always had iphones in stock the very next day. And even for launch day, there were no issues on certain stock.

However, I think with this pandamic, you may want to go to the store today or tomorrow and ask what their procedures are. I know that when the apple store near me was open (now closed for the 3rd time due to the cases in covid going up), they do not let anyone inside without an appointment, and they have standard procedures. They have 2 lines, 1 line is for those who have in-store pick up or to make an appointment for sales person to help them with questions or to look at products, and the other line was more for genius bar appointments. They didn't do walk-ins. They do temp check. So I'm pretty sure most apple stores are doing something similar.

For me, I plan on ordering it online for delivery. Not going to take a risk of getting COVID over a phone. I would just pre-order it.
I’m in Chicago too. While COVID isn’t as heavy in the news, it’s still a factor. Check the Apple stores to see what their process will be. There will most likely be some restrictions in place.

I am very cautious. I do not want to be in the line for long. Have you done the pre-order online and pick-up at the store before?

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I am very cautious. I do not want to be in the line for long. Have you done the pre-order online and pick-up at the store before?

It could (should) be completely different now but the first two years of picking up at the store with the IUP program were a nightmare. I was in line for 2+ hours even though I had an "appointment" to pick up my iPhone. I would have to think they're doing things differently because of the pandemic.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I have for the past few years have always did a pre-order and selected in-store pick up at the store. Basically you just come at the time you choose and stand in line. They normally will take a few inside and go from there. I'm not sure how they will do this for this year due to COVID19 but only time will tell. As I mentioned on my post earlier, this will be the first time ordering it online for delivery due to the fact that the apple store near me is temporarily closed.

I hope they will reopen by the time iphone 12 Pro max pre-orders start but the COVID cases is going up and getting really bad so I have a feeling they will be closed for a bit longer than usual.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012

No, but I have visited the store on launch day to pick up an accessory. The lines were orderly - one for pick-ups, the other for walk-ins. However, the later the day went, the longer people had to wait for their pick-up. Your experience depended upon the store and how many people were shopping vs picking up.

It will most likely be more orderly given the current restrictions, but I’m sticking with having shipped to my home. Can’t miss delivery since that’s where I’m working from now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.