Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
So how does this work? Does it get sent from the hub to your local store that morning of launch? Or does it get sent to the local store INSTEAD of the hub the night before? Im just trying to figure out the quickest way of picking it up.

It arrives at the hub, and then goes from there to the local store. If you want your phone as soon as arrives, still cold from the plane, then you'll want to pick it up at the hub.

Ninerboy81

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Murrieta, CA
It arrives at the hub, and then goes from there to the local store. If you want your phone as soon as arrives, still cold from the plane, then you'll want to pick it up at the hub.
Awesome thanks. Right now I am on the UPS website and signed up for UPS my choice but I am don't know what UPS calls their "hub". Is it the customer service center? Or access point? I don't know there is so many different names on the site lol

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Awesome thanks. Right now I am on the UPS website and signed up for UPS my choice but I am don't know what UPS calls their "hub". Is it the customer service center? Or access point? I don't know there is so many different names on the site lol

It's the customer center. Sometimes in their listing it's just CC. It's often in a somewhat industrial area.

Ninerboy81

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Murrieta, CA
It's the customer center. Sometimes in their listing it's just CC. It's often in a somewhat industrial area.
Sorry for so many questions. I live in california and there are like 4 within a radius of 31 miles? Will I be able to see the one they are shipping to or can I pick the one that it goes to?

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Sorry for so many questions. I live in california and there are like 4 within a radius of 31 miles? Will I be able to see the one they are shipping to or can I pick the one that it goes to?

That I don't know. Likely there is one that regularly services your house, and that would be the one the phone is going to. If you've gotten another package from UPS recently, you could check that to see where it went. The Customer Center that services you will be the place it arrived right before it went out for delivery.

You might also be able to call UPS and ask them which Customer Center is responsible for your address.

Reactions: Ninerboy81

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
When I check the website it makes my local (and closest) CC a different color on the webpage to show the one that is used as my hub

Reactions: flur

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Thanks for the response. The hub is the "UPS customer center" in their website?

Yes, it's the Customer Center. If you have more than one in your area, it's a good idea to call UPS after your phone ships to find out which hub that it's going to (and, of course, prior to selecting a particular hub for pickup). When my Apple Watch shipped, I went to the UPS website to hold for pickup, but the usual hub wasn't listed, so I called and found out that they'd built a new facility that was closer to my house. :)

takasugi

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012

The UPS customer center is in Romoland. I picked up my 6+ there last year (I live in Murrieta also).

Ninerboy81

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Murrieta, CA
The UPS customer center is in Romoland. I picked up my 6+ there last year (I live in Murrieta also).
Omg thank you so much. That's funny I just called them and got the info I needed them look on here and you said the same thing. Thanks!! Murrieta huh? Small world lol

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
You must be a UPS My Choice member to do so. Once you've signed up for that just go into the app and select pick up in store and it'll give you a list of stores to pick it up at. Do this as soon as you can as others have said, if you do it too late it can delay the shipment.

Cool thanks! I have another package arriving on Friday. I switched to go to the UPS store as a trial run :)

Reactions: Cayden

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
If anyone's interested, here's the overall sequence for ANY pre-order. It's a logistical miracle. I've been through this sequence nearly every year (Yeah! I'm that fanatical)...

I ordered my iPhone 6s Plus 128 GB Rose Gold at 12:22 a.m. Sept. 12 with delivery Sept. 25 - for reference. It was charged to my Amex yesterday so it will be shipping shortly. First Apple sends out a $1 charge to make sure the credit card account is valid. In about 24 hours, the iPhone charge shows up in pending charges. This starts the entire process of shipping and is the clue everyone waits to see.

Initial distribution date is the 25th and UPS will hold them was they arrive in their Knoxville facility until about the day before they are to be delivered. At that time, they all go out at once for the first deliveries. I can't speak to FedEx sequence because all mine have been UPS to date. UPS must have an annual nightmare.

By the time the phones get into your hands, they have been world travelers. They travel by air stacked on HUGE pallets that tuck into empty cargo jets - the big guys. They go from China to Korea (or sometimes to another Chinese shipping station rather than Korea) to Alaska to Knoxville over a period of about 10 days. It’s fascinating to track, which I’ve done in the past. There are two major customs stops - China and Alaska - where everything comes to a screeching halt for several days in each place.

Believe it or not, each iPhone on those many planes has a separate destination from the get-go, tied to the individual phone’s UDID - an identification number - and the intended recipient. The logistics of this whole thing is mind-boggling. And we’re talking millions of phones - not thousands - distributed world-wide!!

So as you wait for your newest and greatest, maybe this will provide an outline for the sequence and timing - at least as it was in previous releases. Who knows, it may be different this time around.

takasugi

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
I'll be seeing you there! Where on ups.com do I change my settings for that? Or do I have to wait to have a tracking number and stuff?

Once you get your tracking number (I found my by looking up my phone number as a reference on the UPS site), you can specify hold at the customer center.

asharahmed

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2014
I looked up via reference using my phone number and I just got the shipping result for my dock which arrived today. Is there any way to show all shipments with that reference?

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
I ordered my iPhone 6s Plus 128 GB Rose Gold at 12:22 a.m. Sept. 12 with delivery Sept. 25 - for reference. It was charged to my Amex yesterday so it will be shipping shortly. First Apple sends out a $1 charge to make sure the credit card account is valid. In about 24 hours, the iPhone charge shows up in pending charges. This starts the entire process of shipping and is the clue everyone waits to see.

Initial distribution date is the 25th and UPS will hold them was they arrive in their Knoxville facility until about the day before they are to be delivered. At that time, they all go out at once for the first deliveries. I can't speak to FedEx sequence because all mine have been UPS to date. UPS must have an annual nightmare.

By the time the phones get into your hands, they have been world travelers. They travel by air stacked on HUGE pallets that tuck into empty cargo jets - the big guys. They go from China to Korea (or sometimes to another Chinese shipping station rather than Korea) to Alaska to Knoxville over a period of about 10 days. It’s fascinating to track, which I’ve done in the past. There are two major customs stops - China and Alaska - where everything comes to a screeching halt for several days in each place.

That doesn't sound at all like my experience. First off, I have no pending charge on my account, and in the past, my card has not been charged until the phone ships and shows up in tracking.

The only reason a shipment is held in Knoxville is if it gets pulled for the full Customs treatment, or otherwise misses the plane. I've never had my phone show tracking in Knoxville more than a few hours. I've been here tracking UPS flights on flightaware.com with the gang, and never had anybody say their phone was waiting in Knoxville for days. Sometimes, Apple does stage a bulk shipment in the US, and my last phone came out of such a shipment, but it was staged near Los Angeles, not Knoxville.

Their journey doesn't take 10 days to go from China to Knoxville, it takes about a day and a half (again, unless weather, blah blah, causes a delay). No customs is done in Alaska, it's all done in Knoxville (Worldport). In the past, the preorder period hasn't been anywhere near long enough for 10 days from China to Knoxville.

So, really, I think you have this confused with something else.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I looked up via reference using my phone number and I just got the shipping result for my dock which arrived today. Is there any way to show all shipments with that reference?

There won't be a shipment in the system until your phone is shipped, or at the very least preparing for shipping.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
That doesn't sound at all like my experience. First off, I have no pending charge on my account, and in the past, my card has not been charged until the phone ships and shows up in tracking.

The only reason a shipment is held in Knoxville is if it gets pulled for the full Customs treatment, or otherwise misses the plane. I've never had my phone show tracking in Knoxville more than a few hours. I've been here tracking UPS flights on flightaware.com with the gang, and never had anybody say their phone was waiting in Knoxville for days. Sometimes, Apple does stage a bulk shipment in the US, and my last phone came out of such a shipment, but it was staged near Los Angeles, not Knoxville.

Their journey doesn't take 10 days to go from China to Knoxville, it takes about a day and a half (again, unless weather, blah blah, causes a delay). No customs is done in Alaska, it's all done in Knoxville (Worldport). In the past, the preorder period hasn't been anywhere near long enough for 10 days from China to Knoxville.

So, really, I think you have this confused with something else.

This has not been my experience, nor was the other poster's experience my experience. My Apple stuff goes from China to Alaska to LA (area) and never goes to Knoxville. I assume this is because I'm west coast, but I don't actually know.

So...maybe we just accept that there are a variety of ways one can get an iphone?

Reactions: Ninerboy81

takasugi

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Oh ok sounds good. Did you already find yours or are you talking about last year?

Last year...nothing yet for this year. I found the tracking number by phone number a couple of days before it showed on the Apple store so I would make sure to check.

Ninerboy81

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Murrieta, CA
There won't be a shipment in the system until your phone is shipped, or at the very least preparing for shipping.
Just answered my question. Well thanks for all the help guys. Seriously appreciate it. First pre order online. I've camped out twice before this but decided not to this year because last year it was way to cold outside lol

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Just answered my question. Well thanks for all the help guys. Seriously appreciate it. First pre order online. I've camped out twice before this but decided not to this year because last year it was way to cold outside lol

Well, if this is your first preorder, you must get familiar with www.flightaware.com so that you can track your iPhone's flight from China. It's kinda fun. :)

Reactions: Blueline29

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I can't speak to FedEx sequence because all mine have been UPS to date. UPS must have an annual nightmare.

I have a friend that drives for FedEx, and she says that they hate iPhone launch day: they have to get at least an indirect signature, and LOTS of customers who aren't home don't leave a signature form on their door.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.