Apple Community Envisions Better Ways to Activate Control Center on iPhone X

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 10, 2017.

1. rbarnett macrumors newbie

A configurable gesture menu would be great but it could create an Apple Support nightmare. This phone is a brand new concept for Apple and has only been in the hands of the masses for 1 week. Why on earth are people bashing Apple for not getting it exactly right? This phone will evolve w/ software updates and if you aren't one who likes change, they made 2 other iPhones that are EXACTLY like last year's model. Stick to that and maybe jump on board next year. The X will not hit that happy medium for quite a while.

2. MissionMac macrumors newbie

MissionMac

3. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

some people like to be able to switch between a few apps instead of 20...

4. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

Why not add the ipad version of control center/multitasking/closing apps to ALL iphones?

5. Omni Geno macrumors regular

Omni Geno

Exactly. And maybe allow the user to choose the bottom right or bottom left, to accommodate lefties or righties. The Home Swipe doesn't need to occupy the entire width of the bottom of the screen. And it wouldn't take much more getting used to than the Home Swipe did. Just think of it as the Control Center having moved a bit to the right or to the left.

6. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

Anything an app can do when its running in the "background" it can still do after you force close that app and its no longer "running in the background" with the exception of using location services if the app is only set to get that when its open in the foreground.

The hardware has nothing it do with its how iOS is written, its very good at memory and resource management.

7. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

Me too its horrible......

8. willnpc macrumors member

willnpc

I see a lot of ticked off people about this and that with the new iPhone X, that’s the reason why I didn’t go the first GEN product
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    Lol, Apple could have notches on all four sides and some people would still like it
    I completely agree, I never use 3D Touch
    Wish I could go back to the original iphones simplicity yet the current phones fastness ... seems like every other day they’re adding something “new“ that is completely unnecessary, Steve Jobs is rolling

9. dilbert99 macrumors 65816

they cant until all phones used today have it. Otherwise developers have to support two sets of actions.
    Why do you think it does more harm than good?

10. KingslayerG5 macrumors 65816

KingslayerG5

[​IMG]

^ All I want Apple to do is to give me that toggle. Location and show me more than just four while also letting me get rid of airplane mode in the Control Center. I need mobile data, hotspot, and location services to be next to each other along with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. This is for my work flow.

Location services is still found in the Settings app under Privacy. I even asked the Genius at the Apple Store and he told me I can't customize what I want to see.

[​IMG]

Android gives me all the toggles I want with my lockscreen messages below it. I can swipe them each away without asking me to delete or view. If I can't find a toggle I need, I use Notification Toggle to add more toggles like brightness with set values and volume.

[​IMG]

If Apple can listen and improve their notification system and make tethering more seamless, we're back in business! I even like Apple Maps because how clean the menu is compared to Google's. Points direction to where the house is on the street. But no GPS toggle in Control Center. What gives?

Until Apple improves their Control Center and notification system, Android will be my primary OS for work.

11. JOBS-3:16 macrumors regular

JOBS-3:16

Why have the hard press? That is an extra step that is 100% pointless.
    Then go buy an Android...and spend your time making that green instead of trolling :)

12. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Because it uses more resources to open repeatedly than to just leave it open, leaving to worse battery life.

13. hawaiipoolman macrumors regular

Just double tap the home bar, it just makes sense

14. Tech198 macrumors G4

I wouldn't worry... Because the iPhone X now has no home button their would be different ways o unlock control centre u can bet from version to version of iOS..

(Good lord... I gotta memorize what version of iOS I use as well ? ) That's sounds hard

15. Ifti macrumors 68000

100% agree with this!

16. rp2011 macrumors 6502a

rp2011

I have no problem with it. It's quickly become an instinctive gesture for me. Taking a screenshot...now that's I have to always think about.

17. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

And apps that have Background App refresh enabled that are using a lot of resources? Do you go into settings and toggle off background refresh for them in those occasions when you don’t need it or simply quit them?

18. Bacillus, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

Bacillus macrumors 65816

Bacillus

Because apparently, this vision "developed over the years" was never anticipated during these years - now resulting in a variety of gestures dispersed over iphone versions.
    Which is how the UI becomes a complete mess.

The better approach would have been to offer home button alternatives in iOS versions over time - thereby streamlining a seamless, universal experience across all iPhones
    There is an analogy with self-driving cars where a steering wheel gets more redundant instead of suddenly removed.

19. Gameboy70 macrumors 6502

My vision:
    • Swipe up from the right of the home bar for Control Center
    • Swipe up from the left for Notification Center
    In other words, exactly the opposite positioning and swipe directions required today.

20. thespacekid macrumors regular

It would be nice if is they left the Podcast app alone so I could start new podcasts from the bottom of the screen instead of now have to reach up to the top to start it playing.

21. trifid macrumors 65816

trifid

3D touch is unreliable due to input-blocking, it works half the time in common use cases, hence it will never take off until Apple gets their act together.

22. KingslayerG5 macrumors 65816

KingslayerG5

This is why I can never use iOS as my work phone...

Dasher menu, check the bottom page
    https://uimovement.com/userflows/product/doordash-dasher/

In fairness, both Dasher versions are crap. Both crash on me. Both freeze up. Crap apps to make crap money but very, very easy money. I was supposed to sign up for Grubhub and Caviar before DD. I might do so if DD doesn't give me orders. Android's Dasher app is more user-friendly. I like the red and white theme of the company colors. I know where the chat support option is. The menus are on the left side.

The iOS' Dasher app reminds me of their YouTube app which I dislike. The menus are on the bottom. Google's recent updates has made it look like iOS' which is why I went back to an older apk that came with my V20. I prefer the menu on top.

If Apple can work on notifications, more toggle customizations, and DoorDash developers can just copy the Android version of Dasher, I will gladly line up like an Apple zombie for the next iPhone. I was going to buy the X yesterday morning until I realized they were sold out before realizing Control Center is horrendous!

My most important toggles -
    Mobile Data
    Hotspot
    There is no location toggle in the Control Center. I have to go to Settings, find Privacy, and then turn it on or off. I need those toggles next to each other because if all of them are ON, it would drain the battery very, very quickly and generate so much heat. I usually turn off hotspot for location and vice-versa. It's why I use a third-wheel like the Moto E. Saves battery in case I forget to turn off hotspot and location on the iPhone.

Tethering with iOS is also very confusing. It wants Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on? My other phones will lose connection if my iPhone is gone for too long if I'm returning to my car. I have to go back to the iPhone to toggle it on again. Apple needs to work on iOS. Lack of customization is what limits in functions.

We can praise and praise the new gesture swipes. Fall in love with them and the cool, fluid animations. I understand. I wanted them years ago. But once you get back to the nitty-gritty of iOS' core features, its limitations will start to annoy you over time.

23. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

I LOVE the way control center works now. When playing games and other things swiping up for control center was extremely unresponsive. Now that its up top, it works every time.

24. KingslayerG5 macrumors 65816

KingslayerG5

First thing I wish Apple would do is add a location toggle in Control Center. Data, Hotspot, and Location need to be next to each other for me during work.

Screenshot_2017-11-11-15-46-28.png

25. Wsidewarrior07 macrumors member

I have a few flaws (Notification Center from the top being one of them) that have made me consider returning iPhone X. It's a great device, but after using it for a week it doesn't quite feel natural. The thing that kills me the most is FaceID, when it works, it works well. That being said, I wear a CPAP mask so I can't just wake up & unlock my phone with my finger & Touch ID... I have to be somewhat conscious to enter my passcode.

Don't get me started on the cold weather thing either..... happened to me the last two days.

Much like the initial LTE bugs with Series 3, this might be a return until it's the premium device it should be.