Apple Community Envisions Better Ways to Activate Control Center on iPhone X

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Ankaa, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

Ankaa macrumors 6502a

Dude. Not everyone is a giant.

2. autrefois macrumors 65816

autrefois

Considering "antenna gate" affecting left handed people more, and Steve Jobs infamously telling people to just hold the phone differently, it looks like Jobs' influence coming back from the grave. Surprising since Jony Ive is apparently left handed...

3. nt5672 macrumors 65816

The real question is how long do we have to wait for them to make a good decision?

4. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Yeah. That's my only major gripe with the X and the software so far. It's really cumbersome compared to the old method. Once you have them up there in that small view, you should be able to just swipe upward like you did before to get rid of them.

5. ksnell macrumors 6502a

ksnell

What does swiping up from the middle of the screen currently do? (nothing)

6. vipergts2207 macrumors 68000

vipergts2207

Or you know, just make the phone ergonomic enough for use with one hand..

7. rellyOnSMASH macrumors newbie

rellyOnSMASH

swiping up from the bottom right corner would be the perfect method to evoke control center imo

8. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I don’t mind where they put it but it goes against Apple’s spirit of discoverability. Nothing should be that hidden.

I’d put it in the multitasking card window like on iPad. Swipe up and to the right is a very quick way of app switching. Swipe up and to the left is open. Put the Control Centre there.

9. T.j.p. macrumors newbie

It is reenforcing the Apple concept that there is no need in normal use to close apps completely. They use very few resources and startup much faster when just ignored.

10. Sappharad macrumors member

I haven't gotten one yet, (waiting for the SIM free model in the US) so I perhaps this is a bad idea in practice and I didn't read the entire thread to see if this was suggested already, but... I would prefer if they just did something closer to how it works on previous phones.

Why can't you just force touch the line at the bottom of the screen to go home? Other UI elements aren't allowed in that area anyway since it's not part of the "safe area", so it would essentially be replacing the home button and it would behave exactly how it did on the 7 and 8. I also think it's stupid that the bar rotates with the phone so it's always on the current orientation's bottom of screen. If the X doesn't support the home screen in landscape mode, why would I want to return to the home screen from landscape where everything is now sideways? Apps have less space in landscape than they did on the 7 and 8 because of the bar, so just keep it in the same place at all times. By using force touch to invoke it, then you can have the original swipe up for control center gesture back. And force touch on the left side of the screen for app switcher like 7 and 8 have.

I know there were some people not convinced by it, but I really liked the fake button feeling from force touch.

11. T.j.p. macrumors newbie

I went around using my iPhone left handed for a couple hours. I didn't find it difficult to access the right top corner swipe towards center one handed. but I usually hold my iPhone in my left hand while "operating it" with my right. So using it one handed was fun to learn too. I think this will pass once people get used to it. One possible solution would be to use both top corners, or select one in settings, to use for opening the control center.

12. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

Like the idea but that would take 2 clicks to get to CC.

I think a 3D touch anywhere to summon the CC would be better. Or swipe up from a corner like most ppl are saying.

13. bluespark macrumors 65816

Not all of us want to see notifications when we are trying to access our phones. That’s why this should be an option: a notification screen for those who need these, an option to skip this for those for whom this screen is useless.

14. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

I like the new 3D Touch camera and flashlight shortcuts in the lock screen.

15. acikaas macrumors newbie

acikaas

how about a 3D Touch swipe from the upper right corner...

16. bluespark macrumors 65816

Same issue with members of my family. For some reason, many people seem to incorrectly believe it’s up to them to control how their phone allocates memory, that they can do this better than Apple, and that all of the apps recently used must be actively using memory.

17. Ashton Cofer macrumors member

I hope Apple does this. Using control center as someone who is left handed is a pain and almost always requires me to re position my hand or use my other hand.

18. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502

mcfrazieriv

HEAVENS TO PETE, BESSY. THAT MAN HERE DERE IS A GENIUS!

19. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

7 pages of swiping :) looks to me like Apple has some work to do to get the X series ironed out..... my guess is that there will be a lot of confused users out there.

20. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502

mcfrazieriv

Dude... global warming is happening. Polar bears all over the world are sad because of it. It's real. Stop denying it.

21. fokmik macrumors 68000

3d touch will be a thing on the wifi and bluetooth icons from the ctrl centre
    touch BT or wifi icon, they will disconnect
    3d touch on them they will turn off
    This is from ios 12 pre alpha

22. LastOneToKnow macrumors member

Here's an even better idea. Apple should just purchase "Activator" from Ryan Petrich and integrate it into iOS. Problem solved. The sheep can talk about how perfect everything is that Apple does and to just get used to it. The individual can customize the user experience to what best suits them. Everybody wins. Thanks in advance Apple!

23. chazcron macrumors member

chazcron

So far, for me,"touch screen, swipe left" as a camera shortcut is one of my favorite new things. I was tired of habitually touching the home button to get the camera fast only to have Touch ID take me to the home screen because, unlike Face ID, Touch ID was almost instantaneous. Additionally, although I don't like it in any other circumstances, having to swipe up to open the phone keeps me from accidentally bypassing fast camera access. I can do this without looking (unlike the new camera icon)

24. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Google has shamelessly ripped off Xiaomi with Doze and permissions since Marshmallow. Apple has ripped off Cydia developers. Spotlight? I saw that as far back as 2009. I used SBSettings which emulated Control Center but had toggle switches from swiping from the top.

Apple needs to copy Android's superior notification system which Apple has gotten wrong for 10 years. Keep messages underneath the toggles. iOS11's Control Center is a complete mess. It has more of a learning curve to remember for me than gesture swipes.

Messages on the lockscreen should be swiped away or tap into the full message. Not prompting us to delete it or view. Location services is still located in privacy under the Settings. Can't use it as a toggle. Very limited toggle switches to view. Can't rid of airplane mode for something like personal hotspot.

[​IMG]

Wished iOS also had an Android app like Notification Toggle. I prefer having a brightness and volume toggle. For brightness, I set values like 30%, 50%, 75%, 100% or whatever value feels right when I'm outside or inside a room.

I don't like auto-brightness because it misses the mark sometimes and kills more battery life with a sensor turned on going in and out of lighting conditions. And volume control is good because I prefer my media volume lower than my ringtone and notifications.

I think iPhone X is very polished with hardware but iOS is weak with settings customizations, notifications, tethering, and toggles.

25. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

This! ...and there's even been reports/tests done that show it takes more battery to force close and open apps, rather than just leave them alone. The phone will manage "usage" just fine. Most of the time it's only a basic screenshot of the app in background anyways.