Apple Community Envisions Better Ways to Activate Control Center on iPhone X

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 10, 2017.

1. WatchFromAfar macrumors 6502a

WatchFromAfar

First of all the reason there's "ear corners" is so Apple can boast about screen size because screen sizes are measured diagonally from corner to corner. secondly I have no idea who you think you're quoting; I never said "hanging down in the middle"

2. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

Please no, this is a terrible idea. I already hated the 3D touch multitasking feature.

3. johngordon macrumors 68000

it does seem odd to introduce the extra step, but I've noticed you don't have to tap the red X - you can still just swipe up once the red x's are visible. Although I guess as closing apps like that is supposed to be a no no anyway, its not that big a deal.

4. Lepton macrumors 6502a

Lepton

The app switcher is not a list of open apps, it is a list of recently used apps. Any of those apps may already be closed by the system, and many of the "older" ones probably are. In that case you are simply removing the screen image from the list and nothing more.

The system closes apps silently when it needs memory or resources. It's really good at this, so you never have to close an app, with the exception of one stuck due to a bug. In fact, closing an app is counter productive if you open it again later, as now it has to launch from scratch instead of simply resuming. So hiding the option is a feature.

5. Ankaa macrumors 6502a

The location of the control center is actually a deal-breaker for me. I cannot activate it without using a second hand, shifting the phone uncomfortably, lengthy and to a hold where I feel like it might drop any second, or using reachability, which is a foul compromise and acknowledgement that the display IS too big (and didn't even work half of the time I tried to use it while testing a phone in store).

I'd welcome ANY solution that makes it usable with one hand. Be it a different location or 3D touch. I really do hope Apple will listen to the people on this one.

6. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

Not to mention if you are older, have vision or mobility issues. The new gestures are already arcane.

7. mskx4 macrumors newbie

mskx4

in fact, it is.

8. Rhartford macrumors newbie

Rhartford

Yeah it’s almost like different people have different preferences! If you don’t use it fine, don’t. But for those who do, why change something so fundamental that worked just fine? End of the world? Of course not, but it’s just one more design change that wasn’t asked for that adds another minor annoyance that adds up.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    Because they’re perfect and never make poor choices?

9. Baymowe335 macrumors 65816

I said on this. It's better than the proposal. And most of the time, Apple is smarter than forums.

10. mskx4 macrumors newbie

mskx4

The fact that this is said non-ironically...

11. ksnell macrumors 6502a

ksnell

Why not just swipe up from the middle of the screen (similar to swiping down to bring up spotlight search). Would be easier to do with one hand then the current option and also is ambidextrous.

12. JGIGS macrumors 6502a

JGIGS

Biggest complaint about the new gestures by far. Get rid of the hold to close just let us swipe up on the apps to close them.

Replace the pull down from anywhere on the spring board from search (just use the wipe right to get to widgets and search) to either notifications pull down or control centre. Move the back to previous app to the bottom. Simple ergonomics apple reaching to the top of a phone that is all screen is very clumsy.

Oh and still waiting for the day I don't have to have my icons auto sort top left of the screen.

On the plus side I find using reachability less cumbersome with the new reachability gesture so thats a plus? Though we shouldn't need reachability if the interface was designed properly and we could use that gesture for something else like say control centre? o_O

13. Ankaa macrumors 6502a

14. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Because right now there's already a swipe up then swipe down action which has been around for a couple years.

15. mocciat macrumors member

mocciat

Press and hold then swipe up.

16. DeepIn2U macrumors 601

DeepIn2U

My sentiments exactly, yet based on consideration how this will affect those that require accessibility settings enabled in iOS for their daily lives.

17. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

Having used the iPhone X for only a fe mins, I can’t really say what it is like to live with but from what I felt CC and Notifications are pretty easy to get to. Swapping between apps and returning to the home screen is sooooo smooth. I didnt miss the Home Button at all on it.

What I did not like was the way to close apps. That was cumbersome.

18. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Copy Android. Done.

Don't feel ashame, Apple. It's ok to copy a dead OS like webOS that barely anybody remembers or knows but it's not ok to copy a living OS and rival?

Don't separate your toggles with lockscreen messages. Give us the ability to pick which settings toggles to see and not be limited to four.

[​IMG]

^ Only four to see in the upper left once you slide down is so limited.

19. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

If this was Steve Jobs era I would believe that...but you do know they completely overhauled the Apple Watch functionality in OS 2 right? Like you install and it is a completely different device, buttons do different things, swipes are changed, and functions were completely removed (The old contact wheel that was accessed from the side button.)

"New" Apple will change things if they are necessary. In this case I don't think it is a huge deal though...but if Apple does make an iPhone X-L with a larger screen the top corner reach is going to be a bigger issue.

20. maikerukun macrumors member

maikerukun

What do you mean? There's no reason to close an app? You mean because the hardware is powerful enough that it doesn't matter?

21. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

Negative space is not wasted space. The home area needs that negative space. Not just for visual separation but also to guarantee a distinct touch hit area.

22. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Maybe Apple should invent something called, umm, the Home Button underneath the screen with Touch ID? :D

23. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502

mcfrazieriv

Sad little polar bear's ice is melting and he's frantically looking to grab onto anything he can to have something to stand on. iPhone X is great.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    Dude. That phone is for a midget.

24. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

I hadn’t considered it before but force touch home swipe for Control Center is either complete genius that Apple missed or not fun at all to use in practice.

25. WatchFromAfar macrumors 6502a

WatchFromAfar

Why am I a "Sad little polar bear" and my "ice is melting" because I see problems in the notch? Are you insane?