Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
I think HomePod is a fantastic product, but here is the reason I'm not getting it:

1. The "audio" in my house is maybe 30% music. 70% is audio from video. I don't have confidence in HomePod being a reliable output source for Apple TV (AirPlay =/= permanent audio connection).

2. Hands-free Hey Siri control is something I want, and in this context, it will do nothing but initiate music playback on the device itself. This does not help me control Apple TV, so its a non-starter.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
So that it remains anti-competitive and forces users to stay within the Apple ecosystem. (That way you can't use it with an Android device or something)

I'd say it does the opposite of force you to stay within the Apple ecosystem - it forces you out. If you already use a single other non-Apple device or service, then you're not going to buy this device, but interest in it might lead to you buying an Echo or Google Home, which will work with all your devices, Apple or otherwise, leading to you decreasing the mix of Apple devices you own.

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
London
Yet, we still have solutions out there... like the Sonos promo (2 speakers for $349) that have better sound and could easily fit in a scenario like yours. They aren't big.

There are several speaker/audio vendors with good or better solutios than a HomePod.
Yep, Sonos is an option for sure - my ex has Sonos and it sounds pretty good for the size. My personal preference would be for something with Siri/HomeHub - I'm pretty keyed into the Apple walled garden and I'm quite happy with it for my purposes. Others' mileage may vary.

As to "better sound" well, since I''ve heard Sonos over dozens of hours and, like almost everyone around here, never heard HomePod for a millisecond, so I'll have to reserve judgment until I have one in my home I can listen to properly.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Really. So Apple's strategy is to not sell as many HomePods as possible?

No, their strategy is to sell as many HomePods as possible while further locking one into their ecosystem.

Why doesn't the Apple Watch support limited android functionality? Because, buying into the Apple ecosystem makes it harder to leave. It is simple logic. Plus, once you are in the ecosystem, you are more willing to pay the higher price for items like the HomePod.

I have an Apple Watch. The Pixel XL 2 my wife looks really nice, for example, but I am not willing to give up my apple watch. Thus, I bought an iPhone X. Apple wins here, and I am okay with that. Both are great products.

But the iOS/macOS ecosystem is large, so Apple doesn't have to just purely "sell as many HomePods as possible".

Reactions: gatearray

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
I play Apple Music using my Apple TV through my stereo. Don’t even use my Sonos 5 anymore. Want a HomePod, just having a hard time determining when I would use it over my Klipsch speakers.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Because if you're having a party, no one wants the music to stop when you get a phone call.

Sonos speakers don't support Bluetooth audio either.

Edge case.

There's plenty of other good reasons to have bluetooth support.

----

No spotify support? This shouldn't come as any surprise. Apple wouldn't give support in these speakers to competitive music services. They want you to use Apple Music only.

Disappointing that HomePod can't recognize different people and use their iCloud accounts as appropriate.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
I'd say it does the opposite of force you to stay within the Apple ecosystem - it forces you out. If you already use a single other non-Apple device or service, then you're not going to buy this device, but interest in it might lead to you buying an Echo or Google Home, which will work with all your devices, Apple or otherwise, leading to you decreasing the mix of Apple devices you own.

Great point, actually. I was strongly considering the Homepod, due to its audio quality. But I own a PC desktop and Laptop. My wife has an android, and I have a Nest, etc. All these work well with Google Assitant and Alexa.

So....I bought the pair of Sonos One's instead. All the advantages of the HomePod' sound, etc...while swapping out Siri for Alexa (and Google Assitant support, soon).

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
It's been quite reported the HomePod is a mono speaker and stereo via pairing two HomePods will come as a software update later.

HomePod is not a mono speaker. Apple specifically states that audio is split into left/center/right channels. The issue regarding the "stereo pair" is that two Homepods provide two woofers, so technically every level of audio (high/mid/low) can be split into more than one channel. With a single HomePod, high/mid range is split, while the low can't be split due to only one woofer.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I don't think this surprises anyone. Looks to have some good options which will meet the needs of most users.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
That is a silly excuse. I guarantee that is not their thinking. If it supported Bluetooth, than an Android device could use it. That is, more than likely, the reasoning.

Sonos doesn't support bluetooth, but it supports Android, iOS, Mac, PC.....so they don't need to.

Apple is great, but lets not make silly excuses to defend them.

Instead, let's come up with conspiracy theories and call them "more than likely".

Reactions: the future

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
The good news in all this is that the Google Home Max will most definitely at least match the HomePod's price (and probably undercut it). Competition is good.

This (HomePod) will probably be about as useful to Apple as a product line as the Watch: modest sales for a niche market. I definitely would've considered it had it at least had Spotify support, and I imagine I'm not the minority. I am not knocking it because it doesn't have it - I'm sure it will be a great product for whoever can utilize it, just that it won't be for me.

Google Home already does everything nearly perfectly and has the added bonus of connecting to Chromecasts, allowing one to craft a build-your-own Sonos system, or play video to any TV.

neurokick

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2018
In my experience, Bluetooth is a horrible platform for streaming audio. Disconnect issues with devices (cars, Bose and other speakers I've tried, etc), pairing BS, distance issues. I FAR prefer Wifi and leave bluetooth for close distance control/data and phone headsets.

Quite the opposite. I tried both, Wifi streaming and Bluetooth, and Bluetooth was always WAY more reliable, disconnects basically only through wifi. As for sound quality, there's nearly no audio quality loss that you can hear, even with a decent stereo system.

Try e.g. this link if you think you can hear the difference between loss-less and compressed sound on your system - you'll be surprised to find that you're at chance level:
http://abx.digitalfeed.net

(see also e.g. https://www.theverge.com/2015/7/7/8872115/apple-music-tidal-spotify-audio-quality-test )

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Yep, Sonos is an option for sure - my ex has Sonos and it sounds pretty good for the size. My personal preference would be for something with Siri/HomeHub - I'm pretty keyed into the Apple walled garden and I'm quite happy with it for my purposes. Others' mileage may vary.

As to "better sound" well, since I''ve heard Sonos over dozens of hours and, like almost everyone around here, never heard HomePod for a millisecond, so I'll have to reserve judgment until I have one in my home I can listen to properly.

I'm also very invested in the Apple ecosystem, but I fail to see the value in the HomePod for what it offers. Which is why I will always advise to get an alternative to an HomePod. Now, if the HomePod were like $99, perhaps then it'd make sense.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Yeah okay. Not only does the HomePod have Bluetooth. It has the latest Bluetooth spec, 5.0
Whether Apple allows streaming of other services via BT from the beginning is anyone's guess. It's not like they've been really forthcoming with information regarding the HomePod. Not exactly sure why either.

My guess is the software is not robust enough yet for BT. Apparently you need an iDevice (and an AppleID) to set up HomePod, so that's a wrinkle right there for those with just an Android phone.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
That is a silly excuse. I guarantee that is not their thinking. If it supported Bluetooth, than an Android device could use it. That is, more than likely, the reasoning.

Sonos doesn't support bluetooth, but it supports Android, iOS, Mac, PC.....so they don't need to.

Apple is great, but lets not make silly excuses to defend them.
What do you mean Sonos doesn’t need to? There’s a great Jazz radio streaming app that I love. No way to play it with Sonos without biuetooth as it’s not natively supported.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Wait a minute, so when my friends come over with a non-Apple device they can't connect via Bluetooth? WTF????

Don't you know? You are supposed to get your friends to throw away their non-Apple junk and replace it all with only Apple stuff. Only Apple stuff is good. Your poor friends need to be brought into the light.

OR, get some new friends. Obviously, they are not smart people. ;)

bmk

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
Paris
Files being available in Apple Match is irrelevant to Airplay. If it is in your iTunes library then you will be able to Airplay it to the HomePod.

That's not how I read it. It specifically states that it will play songs *purchased* in iTunes - i.e. not songs that are ripped off cds - and only songs that are uploaded to the icloud. I have 70 gigs of music in my library, the chance of me uploading that to iCloud is nil. As far as I read it, you can only play music from your iTunes library if (a) it has been actually purchased through iTunes, and (b) if it has been uploaded to iCloud. Am I wrong? Am I missing something?

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Giant fail, Apple. You create what appears to be the best sounding "smart" speaker on the market and you hamstring it by not allowing SIRI-activated access to competing streaming services such as Pandora and Spotify.

I tried to like Apple Music but it really sucks compared to Pandora. When I create a station on Pandora, 99% of the music it plays is EXACTLY what I want to hear. Apple Music stations were filled with songs that I not only didn't want to hear but actually abhorred.

Looks like I'll be waiting for SONOS to do a PLAY 3 or PLAY 5 with built-in Alexa. I listened to the SONOS ONE and it's just not good enough.

Mark

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.