Apple Confirms New Emoji Are Coming to iPhone and iPad in iOS 11.1

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 6, 2017.

1. cmaier macrumors G3

It’s true. All the programmers who work on UIKit and the core OS have been reassigned to draw emoji. Because their skill sets and job responsibilities overlap like that.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2017 ---
    Get off my lawn!
    I find that the auto-suggest is the way to go. Just type using words and tap the emoji you want. And on the beta it will now suggest multiple possibilities when applicable.

2. obitow, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

obitow macrumors member

obitow

3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I guess for the same reason we needed multiple Police Academy movies - one was just not enough! LOL

4. Rogifan Suspended

Rogifan

I hate it when people are willfully obtuse. Or maybe they think they’re being clever with comments like this. But it’s just dumb. Apple employs thousands of software engineers and features for releases are planned well in advance. Apple isn’t not fixing bugs so they can give us new emojis. Of course you and everyone else making these silly comments know that.

5. maverick2007 macrumors member

Iphone 8 is all about emoji Innovation. Go apple! full steam ahead!

6. drewyboy macrumors 65816

We're devolving back to using modern day hieroglyphs. Sad if you ask me.

7. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

8. akadafni macrumors regular

Where is the Prince emoji?

9. Exxhara macrumors newbie

Exxhara

Honestly, if you don't like emojis and don't want to use them then don't. I for one, love them and i'm excited to get iphone X so that i can use Animoji as well. It's just a different way to express yourself other than just words and it's pretty fun to exchange with friends and family. My lil sister absolutely loves them as well as a majority of my friends as well. Plus, with the new characters, its just exciting to play around and try the ones as well.

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Apple doesn't make emoijs, they're part of the unicode standard. Apple simply adopts the standard since thats what all modern OSs should do (that way you don't get little missing squares where images should be).
    This. I'm a guy in my mid-30s as are my friends and although I'm not as bad as they are, they all text like they're a bunch of teenage girls. Lots of emojis, bitmojis, etc. I have fun with it too, just not to the extent they do.

I'm also excited for the animoji. I liekly won't use it much but the technology behind it is impressive, thats a lot of real time facial tracking.

I do wish you could filter emoji though. I have never needed 95% of them and it would be nice to get rid of location specific emoji, or categories like the symbols.

11. RumorConsumer macrumors regular

RumorConsumer

Guys just a heads up but Steve was all about this stuff. Steve wanted the machine to be human and relatable. He liked the funny features like a smiling computer picture during boot or a sound called Wild Eep. A computer that played a sweet chord and when it wasn’t working it looks ill (startup POST signals from 68k Mac). iMac with candy colors. He lovvvvved it. He wanted 16 year old girls to love this stuff. So lighten up. They could be doing a better job on OS tightness and bugs and what not and for the parts of the Apple aesthetic that are still alive lets be grateful not complain. What do you think?

12. jdillings macrumors 65816

Given all the security bugs of late, maybe they should doubledown on security and not emoji

13. obitow, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

obitow macrumors member

obitow

As a user, I really don't care that much about emoji. They are just fancy emoticons, so no big deal. I have a set of about 15 I use regularly, but I can live without them.

As a developer, though, I really appreciate the inclusion of new emoji because:
    People who otherwise would be running the equivalent of IE6 on their phones now update more often, which makes it much, much faster to drop old APIs. That's aside from the benefit of security patches. It's like giving a medicine to a pet: wrap it in a delicious ham and they'll eat them all.

You missed the point. Both features were not developed for emoji. Actually they are proof that Apple can work on usability/inovation and emoji at the same time. (The usability/inovation part is questionable, but that's another topic)

14. NMBob macrumors 6502a

How much space do these really take up? There isn't 512x512 bitmap versions of them like icons, are there? At some point I suspect it will be seen for being really silly. Just read through the news. Where are the severed heads? Snipers? Mutilated and burned bodies of rival drug gangs? I'm not sure what the Unicode's goal is, if they even have one, I mean, broccoli?, but there are whole chunks of life that are not being represented, and we'll either have to go to 3 bytes per character, or just leave things incomplete.

Has the spelling checker become completely stupid? It knows that mutillated is wrong, but 'no guesses found'!? I've been noticing that a lot lately. Oh, it knows how to spell brocolli correctly. Weird.

15. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Oh great, more stuff that will appear as a blank square in Messages on older devices. The new iOS versions should know they're sending incompatible characters to older devices and send them as images instead.

16. RumorConsumer macrumors regular

RumorConsumer

Exactly!!! A spoon full of sugar. People do their updates when there’s fun!!

17. zachcsnyder macrumors newbie

Looking forward to using these for the 3 hours at a time that my iPhone has a charge

18. KrispE00 macrumors member

Finally! I’ve been waiting for that curling emoji forever!

19. Razeus macrumors 603

I hope 11.1 fixes the massive battery drain on my 6S Plus. I used to last all day after taking it off the charge 5AM. Now I need to juice it up by lunch.

20. jeyf macrumors 6502

INOVATION::

another 13% thinner
    +
    lots more emoji

21. hiort macrumors newbie

Yay! More Emojis! Apple please keep up the emojis and ignore all the stutter and lag we got in iOS...

22. oldwatery macrumors 6502a

I cannot believe this crap. They have teams of people making emojis and working on tv shows but by their own admission not enough resources to work on computers and periferals like monitors and routers. Cook and co have destroyed this company all for the sake of a few dollars. And the worst part is that most consumers are happy with this situation. So bloody sad.

23. Taipan macrumors 6502

I hope the pie comes in different colors, so none will feel left behind.

24. smaffei macrumors regular

How about some desperately needed bug fixes coming to iOS 11.1? Most people I know who have used iOS 11 are encountering some serious issues. Worst iOS release in ages…