Apple Considering Less Disruptive Siri Behavior in Future Version of iPadOS

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 10, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Say "Hey Siri" when using an iPad, and Apple's virtual assistant will take over the entire display, obscuring whatever you were doing on the device. Say the same thing to your Mac, however, and Siri responds in a more multitasking-friendly way by appearing in a small window in the corner of the screen, allowing you to drag and drop retrieved items from it.

[​IMG]
    iPad concept of improved Siri behavior (image via iHelp BR)

This less disruptive, more functional implementation of Siri in macOS may well be coming to iPad, although it's unlikely to appear in the first version of iPadOS, which is due to be released this fall. The possibility was hinted at by Craig Federighi, Apple's VP of software engineering, in response to an email sent to him by Apple user Juliano Rossi.

Responding to Rossi's request that Siri on iPadOS behaves like on the Mac, without filling the entire screen, Federighi wrote:

As Federighi's response suggests, adding this less intrusive Siri behavior would require some significant changes to the OS, so it's not something that could be included at this late stage in software testing. But as Portuguese tech blog iHelp BR notes, it's at least good to know that Apple is aware of the legitimate request, which would bring iPadOS even closer to the macOS experience.

Apple often considers user feedback, but sometimes takes a while to act on it. For instance, the company eventually responded to multiple user requests that it change the volume level indicator in iOS. When pressing the volume buttons on iPhone or iPad running iOS 12 or earlier, the volume indicator displays in the center of the screen, obscuring content. As of iOS 13, coming this fall, the indicator is smaller and appears at the side of the display in a less intrusive manner.

Unveiled last week during Apple's WWDC keynote, iPadOS is designed to bring more desktop-class functionality to iPads with bigger screens. iPadOS will incorporate several features that recognize the tablet's function as a potential computer replacement, including a new Home screen, an updated Split View to enhance multitasking, and improved Apple Pencil support.

Article Link: Apple Considering Less Disruptive Siri Behavior in Future Version of iPadOS

2. RosOne macrumors regular

3. lars666 macrumors 6502a

Though I don't doubt that Apple will improve the Siri experience on iPad, making a story out of a standard "We'll consider this in the future" reply (which in most case simply is a polite way of companies to answer to customer wishes like these) seems questionable to me even as a "rumor" ...

4. Khedron macrumors 65816

iOS 14 will revolutionise user interaction and deliver a more streamlined Siri experience, just like iOS 13 did for volume.

5. zunamo macrumors newbie

They probably want to rethink some other things, not just moving it to a smaller window.
    For instance, it would allow for a concept where Siri could pop in as an assistent (without getting summoned by you) to tell you something.
    Likely they will do the same on the iPhone and move the screen-filling-call-pick-up screens to a smaller window as well.

6. allenvanhellen macrumors regular

iPhone too, please. Sometimes I want to ask Siri something based on what I’m looking at, but can’t remember all the details and then can’t read them anymore once I’ve summoned her.

7. afro-ninja macrumors member

The screenshot is literally right there, how are there so many mistakes in the quote

8. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

They should do the same thing for incoming phone calls on iPhone.

9. Tech198 macrumors G5

"As Federighi's response suggests, adding this less intrusive Siri behavior would require some significant changes to the OS"

Major change? it's only a frekin visual change, not a complete Siri overhaul

10. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Siri and phone calls should both be downgraded to “notification” size UIs. There is no reason Siri should take up the entirety of a 12.9” screen - it is a voice based interface, it should work out of the way of whatever you are doing.

11. Jerion macrumors member

A change like this isn’t so much about functionality as usability. A small notification-style panel means you can interact with Siri without losing the context of what you’re currently doing. It’s a no-brainer change to me.

12. BlueCreek macrumors regular

Should have been like this from day 1, even on the iPhone, I guess the full screen allows you to see all of the incorrectly heard words Siri struggles to understand and obviously the web results you will no doubt get in return

13. JimmyBanks6 macrumors regular

JimmyBanks6

[​IMG]

14. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Do you mean Clippy?

Edit: whoops I'm a minute late.

15. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

16. Tech198 macrumors G5

I reckon it would only be there to annoy, not help.

17. Precursor macrumors 6502a

Precursor

Siri and streamlined can't be used in same sentence

18. MVMNT macrumors member

There's no reason they can't do this with iOS either. Just have it pop up from the bottom rather than the top so it doesn't confuse with notifications, but takes up the functional space that you wouldn't be using the dock or any other controls for at that moment.

19. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I turn off "Hey Siri" on my iPhone and iPad Pro (only use on HomePod and Apple Watch), but I would welcome this change. In addition, better handling of where Siri is being requested (iPhone vs HomePod) would be much appreciated as well. I may turn it back on if we see improvements there. There are a ton of small subtle changes Apple will likely be making in iOS 14 to further differentiate iPadOS from iOS. I don't blame them at this point considering everything they knocked out this year.

20. IIGS User macrumors member

Can we just finally admit this "feature" kinda stinks and do away with it? I mean for real. It never gets it right on the first try, every time you ask it a question it tells you "This is what I found on the web" and then I have to unlock my phone and read it anyway.

If I'm in a position where I can just Google something, I'll just google it and not have to yell it at this thnig 3 times.

Then I tied and onion to my belt, as it was the style at the time.....

21. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

This should also happen on the iPhone, it's super dangerous especially when driving.
    1. Driving while navigating with Google maps
    2. Ask Siri a question
    3. She answers
    4. The freaking Siri screen just stays there, taking up the entire screen, forever, obscuring the navigation
    5. You have to manually return to Maps while driving, taking your eyes off the road
    If Siri has answered your question, it should just go away automatically dammit.

Oh and you know what's worse? Shortcuts. Ask Siri to execute a shortcut, and the screen switches to the Shortcuts app and just sits there even after executing it. Like, why do I have to see it? There is no need to see or interact with any of it, why does the entire app have to come up on the screen and then just stay there? Do the thing I asked and then leave me alone.

22. jomplox macrumors newbie

jomplox

Hey guys, can anyone remind me please how often developer betas come out and what day of the week it happens?

23. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

No it’s not. When Siri is active currently, everything underneath is frozen/invisible. It would need to be reworked similarly as picture in picture video, and have interactivity. But I would imagine it wouldn’t be too hard, since Siri used to work this way on iPad back on iOS 6.

24. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

25. Ferc Kast macrumors 6502

Ferc Kast

Siri used to be less intrusive on iPads before iOS 7 made it fullscreen for some reason that I can't recall.