Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
You read it wrong.
According to the data (and whether the data is accurate and what is the margin of error is another conversation), apple is killing it in the wearables market.

Sure there are plenty of negative and anti-apple comments comments sprinkled though out the posts, but I never recall anybody saying about apple criticisms' "if you're not part of the solution you're not part of the problem", or "you should work for Apple", which in the post above comes off as an ad-hom attack.
you read it wrong.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
71tRTcT6wvL._AC_SX425_.jpg

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
yes really. Or come up with a better idea. Too many people want to complain on forums because it’s easy. Am I wrong?

Saying company A is copying company B isn't complaining. I'm simply explaining what Samsung is doing. Why should I come up with a better idea for Samsung when I don't care if they fail or succeed? What you're saying makes 0 sense.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I like my Apple Watch SE a lot more than I thought I would. Coming from a Garmin, I expected to miss out on a lot of running metrics, but as a casual runner (around 30km per week) it gives me all the metrics I need and is such an amazing smart watch. I have no regrets switching.

There are only two things I’d like for a future version: better battery life and a round option as I’m not a fan of the square shape.

Reactions: FightTheFuture

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
I just bought a S6 for my Dad. Fall detection, heart rate monitoring, and O2 + exercise stuff is a compelling combo for a senior living alone. He had an S3 before, but is loving the S6. If he was on an AW-capable carrier he would have gone cellular.

As they used to say, "there is no substitute."

A friend of mine's dad has some off-brand smart watch, and it hardly syncs data to google health on a good day. When we checked it hadn't synced in months, and it was unclear how to kick it into working. <shrug>.

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
Saying company A is copying company B isn't complaining. I'm simply explaining what Samsung is doing. Why should I come up with a better idea for Samsung when I don't care if they fail or succeed? What you're saying makes 0 sense.
So when Apple uses big screens, or OLED screens or adds LTE to their watch, or an always on display which Samsung was already doing, then is Apple copying? When Apple introduces the Pencil (pen) for the tablets, or Qi charging that Samsung has been doing, then is Apple copying? When Apple introduced widgets, which Samsung has had since the S2, then is Apple copying? When Apple introduces 5G to their phones, are they copying? Does that make sense?

Reactions: 1258186

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
No surprise,I think Apple watch is way better than competition.the design is not the best but features are.I wish I could say the same thing about the iPhone.Apple’s weakest (but still selling) product.

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
The Apple Watch is bargain basement pricing by watch standards... hate to break it to ya.

Although the throwaway sub-100 market may confuse what I mean...
Nothing to break to me...I own plenty of expensive watches (an expensive and foolish hobby I once suffered from, but I am better now) They at least work and in the main hold some semblance of the commercial value I spent on them.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
You call 36.2% market share “Dominate”? What a joke!

You know what is true “Dominate”? Microsoft’s Windows system takes >95% of PC market, Google’s Android takes >85% of SmartPhone market, Google’s search engine takes >80% of search engine market, Google ads takes >80% of advertisement market, these, are true “Dominate”.
(In 4Q20) Apple had more than 4x the shipments and market share of the next lowest competitor, and pretty much more of both than their next 4 competitors combined.

Split hairs on vocabulary all you like... I would not even recognize a Xiaomi wearable on a person sitting next to me. But I can spot an Apple Watch at 10m... and given that dominating market share, I often do.

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
(In 4Q20) Apple had more than 4x the shipments and market share of the next lowest competitor, and pretty much more of both than their next 4 competitors combined.

Split hairs on vocabulary all you like... I would not even recognize a Xiaomi wearable on a person sitting next to me. But I can spot an Apple Watch at 10m... and given that dominating market share, I often do.
It’s funny how folks argue one day having 30% market share, e.g. iOS to Android is not a monopoly or dominant share, and then the next having 36% of smart watch market is a dominant share.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Makes ya sick doesn't it.. One company reckons their better than anyone else by giving customers what they want.

At least move over and let others in.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The Apple Watch is bargain basement pricing by watch standards... hate to break it to ya.

Although the throwaway sub-100 market may confuse what I mean...
Well, I’m not sure for something having a silicon chip inside.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It’s funny how folks argue one day having 30% market share, e.g. iOS to Android is not a monopoly or dominant share, and then the next having 36% of smart watch market is a dominant share.
Can I call that double standard? :p

kiensoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
Keep in mind, Samsung heard rumors of the Apple Watch back in 2012 and created 5 smartwatches in a span of 2 years before Apple released their first one.

Then, Samsung took the circular screen from the Moto 360 and took the rotating input mechanism from the Apple Watch to make their new smartwatches. They can't come up with good ideas on their own. They never will.

This goes to show you Samsung has no clue what they're doing. Apply the same logic to folding phones, smart tags, wireless earbuds, etc...being first doesn't mean it's going to be good and today's market proves it.
Samsung came up with big phones and small tablets while Apple came up with ads saying the iPhone 5 was the perfect size for thumbs reach and Steve Jobs saying small tablets would require sand paper to sand down the tip of the fingers while later releasing iPad Minis.

All companies copy. Not sure why the hate for other companies and being so loyal to one brand like a cult. I enjoy my Apple products but I can appreciate competitors and their technology.

Fanboys saying Samsung always copies are the same who criticize when Samsung releases something entirely new like the Galaxy Fold.

If Samsung has “no clue what they are doing” they wouldn’t be the #1 smartphone seller.

Last edited:

colleen8463

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2021
Apple Watches have become so commonplace, I've seen people wear them at their own weddings. People can almost be scared to take it off because they have to close their rings! Apple did a good job gameifying their health offerings. That plus the ability to connect it to your phone have made them unstoppable. I think FitBit rues the day the Watch came out.

• Wow
Reactions: Alfredo_Delgado

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
So when Apple uses big screens, or OLED screens or adds LTE to their watch, or an always on display which Samsung was already doing, then is Apple copying?
No.

Samsung came out with a touchscreen smartwatch before Apple did. Does that mean Apple intentionally lifted the idea from Samsung? Absolutely not.

However, the pattern in which Samsung has repeatedly, blatantly copied Apple is very telling.

There's this

There's the ad Samsung copied.
Apple:
Samsung:

Xli9CDI.jpg

szar5AT.jpg

Then there are these:
Apple Pay -> Samsung Pay
Apple Animoji -> Samsung Emoji
Apple fingerprint reader -> Samsung fingerprint reader
Apple removes charging brick -> Samsung removes charging brick

I can probably list 20 more if I bothered googling.

Where has Apple copied Samsung? I'm sure you might be able to find one or two things that might be considered stealing (ideas that *aren't* obvious as something like adding a touchscreen to a watch), but nothing that was as *blatant* and as numerous as what Samsung has been doing for nearly 2 decades now.

Samsung throws spaghetti against the wall to see what sticks until Apple comes out with their product so that people like you say "well Samsung came out with XYZ before Apple did, and therefore Apple copied Samsung". You're playing exactly into what Samsung is doing.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Samsung came up with big phones and small tablets

That's not a big idea. That's throwing spaghetti against the wall to see what sticks just so that people like you can defend Samsung by saying "well Samsung did XYZ in product number 439248 several years ago!".

Samsung's way of making products is by releasing as many products as they can think of (whether they're good for the user or not) or by blatantly copying Apple. See my previous post. https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...bles-market-across-2020.2288416/post-29690117

Apple's way of making products is by figuring out what's good for the user. They're not always right (see Mac Pro 2013), but they sure as hell don't release half baked ideas as much as Samsung.

Last edited:
  • Disagree

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Not entirely sure of your point, but it is all relative. Say Android had a 70% share of the mobile OS market, and the next competitor (say, iOS) only had 30% - in that case, I would say, yes, Samsung is dominating. Yet if you lead the market with a 30% market share and that is still 4x the next closest competitor...

It is definitely true that some people don't understand how percentages work and/or let their brand loyalty cloud their math.

The bigger question is how much does a company make providing a mobile OS to multiple vendors, compared to what a company makes selling wearable hardware...

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Wonder many out there are like me who hasn't worn a watch in decades, thinks this is a redundant but limited dongle accessory for phone, has a display even smaller and less useful than iPhone 4/4s and don't care for the hassle of charging another device every night? To get me to even consider it has to look classy, have smarts and at least a week of battery life with always on display.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Apple Watches have become so commonplace, I've seen people wear them at their own weddings. People can almost be scared to take it off because they have to close their rings! Apple did a good job gameifying their health offerings. That plus the ability to connect it to your phone have made them unstoppable. I think FitBit rues the day the Watch came out.
I feel naked without my Apple Watch. The only time I take it off is to shower, wash dishes, or charge. It is probably on my wrist 21-22 hours a day.

Reactions: SuperCachetes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.