Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
Just classy...

The text says so much about Apple and the competition.

The Samsung text will be like:

This is it.
This is what matters.
The size of the screen.
And the bunch of functions.
When you start by imagining
What that might be like,
You dont step back.
You just put the damn thing on the market.

Who will this help?
Will it make life better?
Does this deserve to exist?
Who cares anyway?
If you are busy making just a few things,
Someone will get the profit.

We truely belive in coincidenc.
In the dumb luck.
There are generaly onlys "yes."
We spend some time
On many electronic devices
Until everything in your house
Has our logo.

We are profitmakers, and engineers,
Masters of the plastic,
We sign our work,
You defenetly saw it
And regred it.
This is our signature
And it means nothing.

Designed by Samsung in Corea.

----------

This has been puzzling me too. It's a very deliberate move. Is it simply to emphasize the signature itself?

Because they want the pople to read the text until the end, when they say who they are...If you see just a big Apple logo, many will say "Stupid ad, where is sports page?"

full moon

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2009
Why they don’t mention “By the British Jonathan Ive” to be more honest. Just polishing US image from outside, but forgetting what really makes it from the inside, sorry just my opinion.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
... The only thing that has been odd to me is the designed in california slogan. What ever happed to made in the USA? Why the focus on the state? Whateve I guess, just a little odd...

'Designed by Apple in California' is how Apple products are 'signed'.
It is the exact wording on their product signature. It is not a slogan. It is a signature.

iPhone-Assembled-China.jpeg

... check the back of your iPhone, iPod Touch, MacBook Pro —whatever, see?

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
This has been puzzling me too. It's a very deliberate move. Is it simply to emphasize the signature itself?

The ad is all about the signature 'Designed by Apple in California'.
In that light, signing the ad with a different signature 'The Apple Logo/Icon' would have been wrong. So, as you say, it is to emphasize the signature itself.
On top of that, not showing the Apple logo, and all of us being able to recognize this as an Apple ad, is a true expression of brand power.

Stack Overflow

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2012
It's like you haven't read anything I've been responding to, you're just circling the wagons with essentially a "nuh uh" and then finished with a "no u" response.

No, it's that you are making absurd straw man arguments. Your quote doesn't match what you wrote.

All you are doing here is make up silly arguments that no one uses, just to strike them down.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Why they don’t mention “By the British Jonathan Ive” to be more honest. Just polishing US image from outside, but forgetting what really makes it from the inside, sorry just my opinion.

Because there's a lot more people involved in the design and engineering of Apple products?

HelveticaRoman

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Right, because people who have just finished doing workouts have perfect wall street hairdos filled with hair gel, and are freshly showered with clean dry clothes. Do you want reality using Apple's products or do you want Vogue? ;)

I'd settle for irony any day.

----------

Someone at Apple's ad agency should be fired. The plural of no is noes, not no's.

This is very unprofessional.

Who else knows you have a nose for noes?

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
'Designed by Apple in California' is how Apple products are 'signed'.
It is the exact wording on their product signature. It is not a slogan. It is a signature.

... check the back of your iPhone, iPod Touch, MacBook Pro —whatever, see?

"Designed by robots in bankrupt California, assembled by slaves in China"

Really pulls at the heart strings.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I actually love these ads. It's not the look what we can do style or the trash our competitor style, it's simple, but powerful.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
"Designed by robots in bankrupt California, assembled by slaves in China"

Really pulls at the heart strings.

Ok now you're just trolling. :rolleyes:

But if you're not and you really think Apple products are assembled by slaves aren't you ashamed to own them?

----------

And as i said, most of them are not californians...
Source? Also why does it matter where someone was born. The majority of Apple employees involved in the design and engineering of products work in California.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
1st i thought what a waste of real-estate for a story but then.... ;)

Can someone with Apple Wisdom tell me why a girl sitting in a car with no driver and the car is not moving taking a picture has her hair blowing into the second page of the brilliant ad with the grammatical error "no's" (come on they're a billion dollar company, they don't have proof readers)?

Is the fake hair blowing only possible if she's in California where Apple does their design or is it also possible in Ireland where Apple deposits your Cash?

Disclaimer: I'm not held accountable for any grammatical errors because I'm not a native Californian and not a billion dollar company.

attachment.php

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
Definitely classy ... I like how Apple isn't trying to take any shots at its competitors. Pretty stark contrast to Samsung's "Next Big Thing" ads of late.

That's because as far as I know Apple's still the leader in smartphones while Samsung wants to be number one. Apple has nothing to gain from comparisons while Samsung has a lot to gain. It's the same with Microsoft and Apple back in the day

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
Designed by Chinese and Indian engineers on H1 visas that happen to work for Apple in California.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
That's because as far as I know Apple's still the leader in smartphones while Samsung wants to be number one. Apple has nothing to gain from comparisons while Samsung has a lot to gain. It's the same with Microsoft and Apple back in the day

Please put a sarcasm tag if you're going to make a comment like this.

Apple isn't close to "the leader" in either the Smart Phone or Desktop arena.

That would be Samsung and Microsoft.

Apple is "the leader" in personal media players and smugness, besides that they are currently chasing the puck and looking for the next big iThing.

tmroper

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
Palo Alto

Make that Sir Jonathan Ive. And not that long ago he was talking about going back to England, but then it suddenly stopped.

fontman

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Costa mesa
That dose not count Apple.

Hey Apple how about Made in America all products . That would be something to write about . Big deal designed in California big deal . Mac Pro made in Texas - Right the lowest volume product you sell ( I am Guessing)

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Since many Americans have a "meh" or worse feeling about California - not so effective an ad campaign.

Really not newsworthy - other than to say that Tim has lost his way and is taking Apple down with him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.