Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
How is Samsung the underdog in the mobile smartphone space?

Didn't say they were. I was talking about Apple in the computer market in the early 2000s.

----------

My point is that being designed in california means ****. you take the same people and bring them to NY, they will still be as good.

I understand "Designed by Apple" but in california means nothing to me unless they were all california natives...

----------

Why does it matter if it's designed in California or not ? :confused:

California is associated with a specific aesthetic and culture. It's supposed to bring to mind some of the positive aspects of that. It's like mentioning Georgia in an ad for peaches or Florida for orange juice. You should make a certain association with the product as a result of those kinds of references. Seems pretty straightforward to me. Why are you so bothered by it?

An no, I disagree that moving all those people from California to NY will produce the same thing. Completely different culture. Completely different environment.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Samsung just came out with a new campaign, coincidentally...

"Samsung Galaxy: Designed in California, Copied in South Korea"

There's a sweaty dude in the add, but on his arm is a 12" phablet ...

"Our products can be used a weights as well!!"

And finally the tag line...

"Samsung, same thing, only cheaper...cuz we stealz Samsung-style."

Considering the tech and media has been trashing Apple for Copying from Android, Microsoft & WebOS for iOS 7 I believe that is not a statement you want to be ranting anymore.

Especially considering the Pastel Easter Egg look with iOS 7.

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
marketing is the second most important thing if you want your product to do well. looking at these ads i can definitely say that apple knows how to do good marketing.

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
The new ads are Apple's desperate attempts to save face. They have nothing new to offer at this point in time. The iPhone 5s release is so "last Year" and the software is just being messed with by developers. All I read is how buggy it is and how unprofessional the icons look.:confused:

There is so much misinformation and disinformation going on these days that I am not sure whether these naysayers are paid by the multinational corporations that they shill for or that they do it simply as an acolyte for corporate fanservice.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
You know how powerful the Apple brand is when you don't even have to put the logo anywhere in the ad.

How many other companies could or more so would, even try this?

:)

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Considering the tech and media has been trashing Apple for Copying from Android, Microsoft & WebOS for iOS 7....

Gimme a break. Who cares? Certain elements in the "tech and media" (as you put it) have been accusing Apple of copying everything in the iPhone from day one so why does it matter now?

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Gimme a break. Who cares? Certain elements in the "tech and media" (as you put it) have been accusing Apple of copying everything in the iPhone from day one so why does it matter now?

No. They haven't.

But when Apple comes out with a Plastic Phone it will only reinforce what started with the new look of iOS7.

Signed by a Man in California by a Californian.

How about Designed by Apple in California that deposits their Cash in Ireland?

Doesn't have quite the same ring does it?

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
These ads are pretty awful. The second one shows innocently how you can use an iPad in bed... but, you know what it will really be used for in beds across the world.

There is a lack of élan in the photography and design which seems reminiscent of stodgy, un-enthusing work of 70s magazine advertising.

Renzatic

Suspended
These ads are pretty awful. The second one shows innocently how you can use an iPad in bed... but, you know what it will really be used for in beds across the world.

Comeon. I use my iPad for reading in bed all the time. What you're alluding to is only an occasional thing for me.

...you're talking about using it as an ear warmer, right? Cuz that's what I'm talking about.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
How about a photo of some moridbly obese dude contorted around his iMac in an attempt to jab an SD card into the reader slot? Heh.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I'm talking specifically about products. With that huge cash pile they had do do something to pacify Wall Street. But if they really cared about what Wall Street and the tech press think we'd have a 5" iPhone, phablet and touchscreen Macs right now.

I haven't heard anyone from Wall Street demanding a phablet or touchscreen Mac. If you can find any serious quotes please do correct me.

I have however heard many of them calling for a larger iPhone because S4 sales prove that there is clearly a significant demand. Hence Apple will almost certainly make a larger iPhone next year.

I've also heard them call for an iWatch and an iTV. Why? Because they want Apple to keep coming up with great new products to keep their earnings growth going. I don't know about you but I'd quite like an iWatch and an iTV to.

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
UK
Watching a prog in the UK called 'Fake Britain' http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011f8m5

And on some fake apple iphone chargers - which one exploded when a 7 year old went to unplug it (gave a near lethal electric shock)...

it had... 'Designed in Catifornia'

Step 1 in faking / Samsunging it - SPELL CHECK IT!

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
You obviously don't understand reality. Apple didn't start designing in California for marketing purposes. The previous poster was trying to somehow discredit the fact that Apple is an American company and also trying to say that the fact that the products are designed in California is "just marketing".

What I was pointing out was that the fact that Apple products are designed in California was reality. Sure you can market and let people know that reality. But it's still something real. On the other hand, Samsung's "Next Big Thing" campaign is just pure marketing. It's not reality. It is staged actors playing out situations dreamed up Samsung's marketing team heads and played out on TV for gullible people.

I thought it was hilarious that this guy was trying to say Apple's campaign about being designed in California wasn't "reality" when it in fact is. Or that I or anyone else who appreciates that fact wasn't living in "reality". Especially in light of the Samsung commercials designed for gullible people based on fake situations.

Everything Apple does and says publically is part of a meticulously planned brand management strategy and marketing campaign. Nobody speaks publicly without approval. They are the Chinese communist party of the tech world.

Apple has become the very thing it sought to ridicule in the 1984 commercial.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Why do you think Wall Street is asking for a 5" iPhone? Because they can see there is a potentially lucrative market that Apple is missing out on. Nobody is asking for a phablet or touchscreen Mac as the market demand has not been proven as yet. Wall Street are only interested in one thing - earnings. If they think Apple is missing a revenue opportunity they will say so, after all they do own the company. Yes Tim Cook et al doesn't own Apple, Wall Street does.

If Apple starts listening to Wall Street they are doomed. They got where they are because Jobs had the ability to force the board and investors to accept decisions generally regarded as foolish by Wall Street.

I don't believe they will fall prey to the investor class, but it's always a risk. Wall Street has ruined countless American businesses and Apple represents one of the most lucrative targets on Earth. Plenty of predators are waiting to suck the wealth out of Apple and leave their products to wither. Slash R&D, cut production costs by cheapening the products, outsource as much as possible to cheap foriegn labor, and cash in on Apple's reputation. Surely Jobs set up the company in a way that would resist that sort of American business culture, but it's infected great companies before.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I haven't heard anyone from Wall Street demanding a phablet or touchscreen Mac. If you can find any serious quotes please do correct me.

I have however heard many of them calling for a larger iPhone because S4 sales prove that there is clearly a significant demand. Hence Apple will almost certainly make a larger iPhone next year.

I've also heard them call for an iWatch and an iTV. Why? Because they want Apple to keep coming up with great new products to keep their earnings growth going. I don't know about you but I'd quite like an iWatch and an iTV to.
S4 sales don't prove anything. Plus analysts are cutting estimates for the S4.
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/06/25/apple-samsung-galaxy-s4-2/

I'm not arguing that Apple won't need new revenue streams in the future. But I think these ad campaigns are Apple telling the market they're going to do things their way on their own time. Appler's not going to just throw stuff out there and see what sticks. It's the opposite of Samsung the market with product. Samsung has the Galaxy S4, Galaxy Mini and Mega, Galaxy Active and Galaxy zoom. Then they have multiple sizes of the Galaxy Tab and Note, and now Ativ convertible devices. You name it Samsung will make it. I think Apple's line about confusing abundance with choice clearly signals they're not going down the Samsung route. When Apple thinks they have a wearable device worth selling we'll get it. Same thing for the TV space. One can argue they're too slow to bring this stuff to market, but that just goes back to my main point about this ad campaign - Apple is going to do things their own way on their own time.

----------

Everything Apple does and says publically is part of a meticulously planned brand management strategy and marketing campaign. Nobody speaks publicly without approval. They are the Chinese communist party of the tech world.

Apple has become the very thing it sought to ridicule in the 1984 commercial.

So basically they're like just about every other public corporation out there. You don't think Samsung has a "meticulous planned brand management strategy and marketing campaign"? Or any other public company for that matter? Please. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.