Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkee

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2023
Sydney
I mean, what other choice does one have if they want the XDR display but don’t plan on using the VESA mount?
Exactly.

Dude: "I just bought $5,999 XDR monitor. What are $999 compare to that? Might as well get one."

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Probably or people buy them to show off in the office with $999 stands.

You know when I see the person with a $999 stand, I immediate tell the person sucks with money. Bad financial decision. Waste of money.
I don’t believe in telling people what to do with their money considering I spend money on what many people living in 3rd world countries would consider frivolous and stupid, but man, I can’t help but think about how many people or stray dogs and cats that $1,000 could have helped in developing countries… or even here in the states.

XXPP

Suspended
Jun 30, 2019
funny-apple-stand-mac-pro-grater-reactions-34-5cf7aa3718150__700.jpg

The price notwithstanding, that's a very nice stand btw. Precision tilting and magnetic connector are two of my most favorite features of this stand.

MWUG2_AV2
Netflix? still stand is better.

Reactions: kkee

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022

You know when I see the person with a $999 stand, I immediate tell the person sucks with money. Bad financial decision. Waste of money.
Not necessarily. If a person is rich or has a really good salary, the price of the stand is like a price of cup of coffee for regular people.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
funny-apple-stand-mac-pro-grater-reactions-34-5cf7aa3718150__700.jpg

The price notwithstanding, that's a very nice stand btw. Precision tilting and magnetic connector are two of my most favorite features of this stand.

MWUG2_AV2
You have misunderstood. The stand is targeted for wealthier people. The buyers of that stand don’t have to make that decision. They can buy the stand and everything else they want. They certainly don’t buy that cheapness on the left. If you can’t afford the stand, that doesn’t mean there is no market for it. Like for other expensive premium products rich people buy.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I don’t believe in telling people what to do with their money considering I spend money on what many people living in 3rd world countries would consider frivolous and stupid, but man, I can’t help but think about how many people or stray dogs and cats that $1,000 could have helped in developing countries… or even here in the states.
If you’ve got $1K to spend on a monitor stand, it’s not an either/or choice.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Not necessarily. If a person is rich or has a really good salary, the price of the stand is like a price of cup of coffee for regular people.
$999 never feels like a cup of coffee, even if you make $1M/yr

From a purely pragmatic standpoint, the $999 stand has depreciated way less than a $999 MacBook Air I could have bought a couple of years ago.

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021

Ah yes showing "I'm rich" even that piece of aluminum only cost a fraction to make outside country. Still valid bad financial reason to buy something like this.

It's 8 pounds of aluminum ($10 USD raw material) minus screws and plastic.

I'm not here telling people what to do with money, I'm just saying in my eye. They just paid $1000 for a $10-$20 raw materials. 🙄

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008

You mean when you see the person with a $999 stand and no monitor? This happen often?

They are almost as bad with money as the person who bought the $4999 monitor but didn't buy any sort of stand so it is just leaning against the wall or facing upwards on a table.

The stand isn't an upgrade. The monitor does not come with anything other than the magnetic dock for you to carry it from site to site and attach to stands and to VESA mounts (via the magnetic vesa adapter.)

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
Ah yes showing "I'm rich" even that piece of aluminum only cost a fraction to make outside country. Still valid bad financial reason to buy something like this.

It's 8 pounds of aluminum ($10 USD raw material) minus screws and plastic.

I'm not here telling people what to do with money, I'm just saying in my eye. They just paid $1000 for a $10-$20 raw materials. 🙄
Wait until you find out that Xeon and Threadripper CPU are mostly just sand.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
I love my 27" Studio Display. Even if the tech in it is overkill. It's a complete package.

But that XDR... man I went and looked at in person at an Apple Store (finally). I was shocked it didn't come with speakers or a web cam... not to mention this stand! Sound coming from the little tin speaker in the Mac Pro itself kind of killed the experience, especially compared to what my Studio can do.

You gotta really need this monitor to buy this monitor.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.