Apple Cuts Price of 1TB iPad Pro Models by $200

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 11, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following yesterday's iPhone event that saw the launch of new iPhone, Apple Watch, and iPad models, Apple has tweaked the pricing of its 11 and 12.9-inch 1TB iPad Pro models, dropping the cost by $200 in the United States.

Pricing for the 1TB 11-inch iPad Pro now starts at $1,349, while pricing for the 1TB 12.9-inch iPad Pro now starts at $1,549.

[​IMG]

When the new iPad Pro models were introduced in October 2018, the 1TB 11-inch iPad Pro model was priced at $1,549, while the 1TB 12.9-inch model was priced at $1,749.

When flash storage prices drop, Apple often passes those savings on to consumers, and has dropped the price of higher tier Mac storage options in recent months as well.

Pricing on the 64, 256, and 512GB iPad Pro storage tiers has not changed.

It's been almost a year since Apple refreshed the iPad Pro, and rumors have suggested we may be getting a new iPad Pro model before the end of 2019.

While most rumors have indicated the changes will be minor, some rumors suggest the new tablets could gain the same triple-lens camera added to the iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max.

(Thanks, Eugene!)

Article Link: Apple Cuts Price of 1TB iPad Pro Models by $200

2. morley39 macrumors newbie

This may indicate iPad Pro won't get update until next year...

3. jonnyb macrumors 65816

4. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

Or... it may indicate an update is just around the corner and they are pushing out existing inventory..

5. haydn! macrumors 65816

I'd agree. If an update was likely before Christmas, say as part of a October Mac/iPad event, Apple wouldn't have made this move now. They'd have used the keynote to showoff newer, more powerful, yet cheaper iPads.

6. SDJim macrumors regular

SDJim

I would totally buy this now if not for one thing: I should be able to backup and manage iOS devices on an iPad Pro.

Now that iPadOS is distinct from iOS and the iPad Pro has a USB-c port, it should be possible.
    Then, and only then, can it replace my computer. Frankly, I would gladly do it. But if it behaves as an auxiliary device, I can't use it as a primary device.

7. Yojimbo007 macrumors 6502a

Yojimbo007

Most confusing thing at yesterdays presentation was the introduction of the 10.2 inch iPad with no mention pf iPad pros..

Why do this if there will be an iPad specific event in October.
    And if there wont be an event... Then does that mean no new iPad pro this year?

I find that to be a bit sloppy and confusing on Apples end.

8. jamツ macrumors newbie

jamツ

glad apple is starting to randomly introduce price cuts (unexpected iphone 11, keep xr, ipad)

9. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Ironically, the price drop in global flash pricing is due to the slowdown in iPhone sales.

10. jarman92 macrumors 6502

"When flash storage prices drop, Apple often passes those savings on to consumers..."

HA! Even for an Apple-centric site that statement strains credulity lol. Apple still charges $100 extra for each step between 64/256/512 GB in iPhones.

11. whoknows2597 macrumors member

whoknows2597

Kudos to Apple for lowering storage prices. Though I’m not in the market for a 1TB model, hopefully it serves its purpose for someone who needs it!

12. PastaPrimav, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2019 at 9:57 PM

PastaPrimav Suspended

The iPad Pro is an entirely different class of device and in an entirely different market altogether.

There is no iPad specific event. The event will be about the Mac and the iPad Pro, which Apple positions together.

If you think an iPad is an iPad and this one just fancier than that one...well I tend to agree with you, but Apple and the market do not agree.

13. newdeal macrumors 68020

So, out of curiosity what would the use case be for an iPad with 1TB of storage?

14. Yojimbo007 macrumors 6502a

Yojimbo007

Well i think Apples approach yesterday was very confusing with the introduction of the 10.2 and no mention of the iPad Pros. Or no hint at another event.

If there is no new iPad pro.. the lineup will look incoherent.
    The new lowend model will have the A13 chip
    and the Pro model will have the A12x. A Pro with a processor that is a generation behind the low end entry model..
    Makes no sense.

15. PastaPrimav Suspended

Too bad they didn't lower the entire lineup by $200. That would have brought it somewhere in the realm of planet earth.

16. Freida macrumors 68000

Not really as the price reduction is only at the highest model. Apple would not use that in keynote as it would be perceived as negative rather than positive. (ie, either discount the base and from there or don't say anything)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 11, 2019 ---
    That would be really something. The iPad Pro is indeed super expensive compared to the rest of the line and what you get. Maybe march event then :)

17. DaveRivera macrumors member

DaveRivera

Video editing, large image editing...

Lots of creative workflows require big files and lots of storage.

18. PastaPrimav Suspended

Uh...
    The low end model has an A10 chip. You're complete confused.

Also, Apple-blog-followers are the only people on the planet who care about "cohesion" in the product lineup.

When a product is new, its important to have as few skus as possible. When the product takes off, that no longer matters, and it is all about having a product that hits several important price points.

19. kt87 macrumors newbie

The new 10.2" model will have the A10 chip, not the A13.

20. PastaPrimav Suspended

That's not really the answer, because it doesn't address how iCloud fits in. iCloud enables a lot of offloading. It isn't necessary to keep your entire file history on your device anymore, so people don't. You can keep what you're currently working on, which even for the things you describe are not going to eat up more than a few GB at a time.

The same person can be equally successful with a 256 GB iPad as a 1 TB iPad.

So OP's question remains of what is the actual use case for a 1 TB iPad.

21. cmaier macrumors G5

How is it sloppy and confusing? You want them to say “we never announced an ipad event for this october, and by the way there won’t be one?”
    --- Post Merged, Sep 11, 2019 ---
    They clearly said the low end model has the A10, not the A13. I’m not sure how much more clearly they could have said it, or how one could find it confusing.

22. kendo88 macrumors regular

Have they?

23. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

That really depends. Not everyone has good connectivity everywhere they go, and even when they do, you might not wan to download a 100GB file from iCloud when you need it.

I totally see the benefit to having a device where you can store all your data.

24. cmaier macrumors G5

Brexit penalty.

25. toph2toast macrumors 6502a

Someone forgot the "/s" at the end of this sentence. There is no explanation for the $150 difference between a 64gb phone and 256gb iPhone other than higher margins for Apple.