Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Absolutely. But no credit to Tim Cook. Apple Silicon is a result of two key acquisitions made by Steve Jobs => 1) PA Semi and 2) Intrinsity

I'll give Tim Cook credit for two major products though: 1) Apple Watch and 2) AirPods
I think you absolutely have to give credit for moving such a complex project and initiative forward. The acquisitions brought some of the IP and talent, but you don’t pull off the 10 year rollout of the plan by accident.

Reactions: Mescagnus

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
Well said

And the really sad part is that Apple is not dumb, nor do they have dumb people there.

They should have known full well how hard this would flop with this feature set, at this price and with the content/Apps ecosystem (lack there of) it released into.

AVP had no chance on about 3 different fronts.

It's a truly shocking release.
I think they just said "screw it"...."release what we have so we can move on"

They are actually executing at a high level on so little these days that I hope they cut their losses on some of these branch projects and get focused again. They seem spread way too thin.
Sometimes I question what does an Apple employee even do on a daily basis.. the company is seemingly delivering nothing at all.

But at the same time I know working at Apple is highly competitive. Something doesn’t match up (hint: management)

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
See, I actually see it as a desperation move from Tim, who can't innovate one bit, and he is singlehandedly proving the 'myth' that MBAs are clueless bean counters, only focused on stock price.

He wanted to leave some sort of 'legacy' behind knowing full well that the Car project was going to be cancelled, so they rushed this to market, despite warnings from their own internal team not to do it...

This is what apple has become under this leadership team.

It's really sad to see the company swooping to these lows, and what's worse are the people defending it, the same way people defend Musk as some sort of 'genius'.

Honestly, they need to cancel this ASAP, Timmy needs to announce his resignation (along with Craig and other visionless yes-men, all who are driving this ship into the ground), announce a new leadership team, with a focus back on being Apple Computer, Inc. , and move on. But I know none of this will happen, so whatever...
At this moment I don’t even want to buy their tasteless computers despite the Apple silicon

d0sed0se

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2024
California
At this moment I don’t even want to buy their tasteless computers despite the Apple silicon

Same. My Mac Pro will most likely be my last apple computer, and I know a lot of other people that feel the same way.

I've been using Apple computers since the 90's. What I dislike now is Apple Silicon and the death of bootcamp, not to mention how buggy macOS has become... But I'm not trying to derail this thread here.

This thread is all about the headset flop 🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: ThunderSkunk

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
See, I actually see it as a desperation move from Tim, who can't innovate one bit, and he is singlehandedly proving the 'myth' that MBAs are clueless bean counters, only focused on stock price.

He wanted to leave some sort of 'legacy' behind knowing full well that the Car project was going to be cancelled, so they rushed this to market, despite warnings from their own internal team not to do it...

This is what apple has become under this leadership team.

It's really sad to see the company swooping to these lows, and what's worse are the people defending it, the same way people defend Musk as some sort of 'genius'.

Honestly, they need to cancel this ASAP, Timmy needs to announce his resignation (along with Craig and other visionless yes-men, all who are driving this ship into the ground), announce a new leadership team, with a focus back on being Apple Computer, Inc. , and move on. But I know none of this will happen, so whatever...
Absolutely! Tim, Craig, Phil, and Eddy can all go. Let's cut the cancer out and start anew. (Ideally bring back Forstall but that's not happening. I wouldn't if I were him, after how they treated him.)

• Love
Reactions: d0sed0se

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
Same. My Mac Pro will most likely be my last apple computer, and I know a lot of other people that feel the same way
I just hate how people are defending the return of Magsafe and HDMI.. Those are not sexy on a macbook pro in 2024. Apple computers were magical, exciting, the absolute best in terms of design. Not anymore. The new AS MacPro is a 3/4 empty chassis. Like wtf

An I am not joking, the butterfly keyboard, touchbar, and MacPro trash can are really bold and “Apple” move. All of them are reversed, rather than improved. They are AFRAID of changes

d0sed0se

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2024
California
I just hate how people are defending the return of Magsafe and HDMI.. Those are not sexy on a macbook pro. Apple computers were magical, exciting, the absolute best in terms of design. Not anymore.

An I am not joking, the butterfly keyboard, touchbar, and MacPro trash can are really bold and “Apple” move. All of them are reversed, rather than improved. They are AFRAID of changes

Spot on!

The FLOP known as the AVP is what happens when you put beancounters and yes-men with a surplus of cash but zero vision at the helm

Last edited:

Dark_Omen

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2021
I find it hard to believe any smart investor would be on board with keeping Cook as CEO at this point. It's already obvious he's well past his expiration date.

Literally anyone could've taken Jobs' products and milked them for more than a decade to make Apple a trillion dollar company. Any tech innovator would have doubled Apple's current net worth.

The lack of innovation is ridiculous. The guy's been CEO for what, 13 years now? Here's what he has to show for it:

1) Apple Watch (most likely innovated by Jobs before he died). Sued for a feature they had to remove.
2) Nothing else tech-wise.
3) The fact that he himself can't even get up on stage during the Keynotes and excitedly present the products.

Now let's focus on his failures as CEO:

- No Apple Car.
- Apple Card has been a disaster with their GS relationship.
- The removal of leather cases, and then a few months later, the removal of the leather case replacements.
- Lawsuit after lawsuit.
- Buggy operating systems.
- Failing AI system in Siri.
- Apple Maps fiasco when it first came out.
- Apple Vision Pro will be a failure.
- Doesn't know squat about tech despite the fact that he's the CEO of a tech company.
- Butterfly Keyboard
- Touch Bar.

- The "M" series chips are basically ARM chips that existed before they were in a Mac. This is hardly innovation. When the company controls both the software and the hardware, it makes sense that the chips would run quicker and more efficient than their Windows counterparts.

- Has failed to make the iWork suite more attractive to the average user.

Dude is a loser CEO. A rich person nonetheless, but still a loser. And a failure.

lilkwarrior

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2017
San Francsico, CA
There was a study which I can’t find and it was questions put to million at/billionaires on what they thought was the average household income.

Most of them said something ludicrous like $200k
To be fair if an adult is in their 30s and not making at least that much as well as much more in a major city in the US, they have serious problems–especially around retirement time.

Dark_Omen

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2021
To be fair if an adult is in their 30s and not making at least that much as well as much more in a major city in the US, they have serious problems–especially around retirement time.
Most people should make $200K a year? Gee, I must be doing it wrong, making $30 an hour where I"m at. Guess I'm considered under the poverty line by a wide margin. :rolleyes:

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
Most people should make $200K a year? Gee, I must be doing it wrong, making $30 an hour where I"m at. Guess I'm considered under the poverty line by a wide margin. :rolleyes:
2x for household income is above 200,000 though?
lol my calculator betrayed me, never mind. Do you live in a major city though? Hard to imagine that’s enough

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Vision Pro is best in class in AR/VR headsets. My comment is not unique to just Apple product.

In general AR/VR devices extend our experiences positively beyond the world we know of. What is possible with these devices is not comparable with the world we know of

Frankly anyone’s judgment without having experienced at least 10 to 15 unique use cases on this device is questionable.

Experiences and possibilities are endless. It is so difficult to explain this as each implementation is so different in usage of AR, VR, combination, interaction and so on and then add to that sports, music, training, medical, education, art, museums, sight seeing ….. you see infinite possibilities

As a very trivial example, I have seen 4 implementation of shopping experiences and all different, unique and awesome

I can write endlessly about this but it is not possible. It is not one or two or 100 things to sum up the flexibility and power of such a device

I know people complain about price. I easily pay few hundreds to see Taylor Swift concert or Superbowl on this device even easily pay $$ to see a Van Gogh interactive show. And frankly based on implementation experience with a headset will be superior to an in person one!

Standing by the goal post at the time of a corner kick in a championship soccer match is something no one at the stadium get to experience!!!!

That’s nice but who’s going to make this game changing content with such a pitiful low audience of existing avp users? Apple? lol

The endless possibilities cost money to make. Apple isn’t interested in bringing any to the table. Cash starved devs isn’t the answer.

And if this stuff somehow magically is in the works then Apple isn’t helping themselves by saying nothing. By all appearances they’re ramping up their homepage marketing. They seem at loss to drive any demand according to this article.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Yeah, it was borderline false advertising. As someone with no experience with VR, I had no idea that you have no peripheral vision and using these is like looking at the world through binoculars with heavy coke-bottle lens glare. I bought it based on those advertisements, thinking this thing would be a major bonus to my day and I could watch a movie while doing dishes, etc... but yeah, no way. When I put it on I got a sinking feeling that lasted throughout the 2-week period at the end of which I returned it with a sigh of relief. There was just no way I was going to wear that while doing anything around the house and no way I was going to watch a movie on a giant screen that the field of vision doesn't even let you see all of without having to pan your head side to side, haha.

That said the hand and eye tracking was phenomenal and the visuals of the graphic elements and movies were very good, but the experience is just not great once the physics of lenses and the weight of the thing come into play. I just could not see myself actually wanting to watch a movie that way even if the effect of the big screen was impressive. Caveat- I work from home and don't travel much. If I spent half my life on planes and in hotels, my conclusions might've been different.

All THAT said, had the AVP cost around $1000, I would've kept it to play with. I DID enjoy the fully-immersed 180 videos Apple produces (the Rhinos one was my favorite) and I was impressed with the dinosaur. I could see it being a fun toy at a reasonable price but I just could not justify the cost for something I'd maybe play with for 30 minutes a week.
That was a great read. It was very interesting to hear your experience as an actual user.

A funny aside — I know what you’re talking about in regard to that “sinking feeling” when it comes to a big purchase. Very relatable.

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
Problem is the AVP is an at-home device, I wouldn't want to be seen in public with it.

It'll have to be an contact-lens style device, with the UI floating in front of you that you can mind control the UI with. That I'll buy lol

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Big, Heavy, Asspensive, Limited utility. By the time they figure out the features they want to integrate to sell it to us, it'll be three generations too old and not powerful enough to run the new OS. Been burned by half-baked overstuffed potatoes like this enough times already. For $4000, I can get a slip for my sailboat for an entire year here and compared to staring at another gui, I could do with the fresh air.

...and I'm a long-time AR/XR optimist.
They need to recognise [and I am sure they do] that consumers mainly want to consume and professionals get stuff done. There are 2 products here, not 1. If they got the price around Iphone Pro phone prices for consumers, with a lighter device for watching movies / looking at photos / browse web etc they would be selling far more.

MechaVice

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2024
If they got the price around Iphone Pro phone prices for consumers, with a lighter device for watching movies / looking at photos / browse web etc they would be selling far more.

If it was touted for the uses you mention, people would just say "I'd rather do those things on the TV, phone, computer, or tablet I already own."

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
When you find your product for sale on Woot! in less than 2 months after launch, that's not a good sign.

Well, AVP was supposed to have a huge demand as scalpers would buy them in droves and sell them on Ebay. Looks like no scalping :)

truthsteve

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
Blaming Unity trying to make some income for all their product is a bit weak.
Same notion applies to everything in life - blame a 3rd party for your issues or take action and back yourself.
I listed a problem. you're characterizing it as the only problem.

maybe you should take action by reading carefully of what I said.

Dan From Canada

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2016
I plan to buy a Vision unit whenever it becomes cheaper or a lighter, better and cheaper model comes out.
The good thing with Apple is that I don't have to worry that they will abandon VisionOS even if it sells abysmally.
They did not give up when no-one bought the original HomePods, they won't give up now.
For all of us who like VR, VisionOS will be here for many years to come regardless how people joke about it.
The third iteration of anything is usually better and cheaper than those before it.

Reactions: H_D

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I listed a problem. you're characterizing it as the only problem.

maybe you should take action by reading carefully of what I said.
I did read your post. It is a problem, but why should Unity give the software away for free that they have spent money developing to enable you to make money?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.