Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
I'd disagree with Apple Silicon not being comparable to iPhone. It completely transformed the Mac hardware, leapfrogging existing products. We're just so spoiled, we are like fish in water. We don't know we're in water until we leave it.

Could you imagine the Vision Pro being released with off-the-shelf processors? Wouldn't happen. Sure, it's heavy and expensive, but it's PACKED with super-powerful tech that is better than anything on the market. It's just priced out of reach for most people. Apple Silicon is the reason that the Vision Pro exists.

I think to qualify as an 'iPhone moment' something has to both be incredibly transformative and see widespread adoption.

I really like my Apple Silicon MacBook and it's been a massive evolution over the Intel chips, but at the end of the day it hasn't really changed how we use our devices. The Macs are faster, so are the iPads, but fundamentally they're the same products as before.

Maybe AVP will take off and change everything, but that remains to be seen.

I don't think AS is an iPhone moment, but very very very few things are and that's okay.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
So, if he had that as his number, can you point me to where he made that claim before?

And if that WAS the number, it puts my "guess" that you keep making fun of in much better company and light, no?

Critical thinking would have you questioning the basis of these rumors and not just using them to confirm your pre-existing bias, right?
I don’t get how a “supply chain analyst” (in this case, grifter) can predict more sales than can physically be made in the first place. Multiple sources reported long ago that only ~500K units could even be produced this year, specifically because the screen manufacturing capacity is at best 1 million units (so 500K headsets).

This is both a Tech, and Apple News story so I’m not expecting any journalism to have actually occurred so I’ll leave this thread to all the “hot takes” to contribute nothing to a discussion 🤷‍♂️

Tomasulu

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2015
Zuckerberg chuckled and said I told you so. The Vision Pro is like the gold Apple Watch. Doesn’t mean a cheaper version won’t be successful and you’d think they’d announced one alongside the pro.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
Do Apple still not realise that not all of their customers are billionaires.
There was a study which I can’t find and it was questions put to million at/billionaires on what they thought was the average household income.

Most of them said something ludicrous like $200k

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
I don’t get how a “supply chain analyst” (in this case, grifter) can predict more sales than can physically be made in the first place. Multiple sources reported long ago that only ~500K units could even be produced this year, specifically because the screen manufacturing capacity is at best 1 million units (so 500K headsets).

This is both a Tech, and Apple News story so I’m not expecting any journalism to have actually occurred so I’ll leave this thread to all the “hot takes” to contribute nothing to a discussion 🤷‍♂

My instinctive challenge would be to ask why an industry estimate of the manufacturing capacity for the panels should be more reliable than industry estimates for Apple's sales targets?

Based on the levels of proof some here want to see, has this been officially confirmed? If not, what is the evidence to suggest the former is more accurate than the latter?

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
I can't understand Apple's expectations here. Apple seems to be trapped in its own bubble. AVP is just another VR headset without a killer app.
A VR headset is something you buy, use a few times and then leave in the corner for years.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH

This is both a Tech, and Apple News story so I’m not expecting any journalism to have actually occurred so I’ll leave this thread to all the “hot takes” to contribute nothing to a discussion 🤷‍♂️
As said previously, this assumes manufacturing of those screens began on January 1st, which considering that the device became available for purchase on February 2nd, is almost certainly not the case. Sony had likely begun mass manufacturing of those screens sometime last year. By the time the AVP started shipping, Sony may have already produced a couple hundred thousand screens. Based on supply chain, moving 700-800k units in 2024 isn't out of the question. Now based on demand, that figure becomes kind of laughable.

Last edited:

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Would someone have the guts to ask Tim about it at the next share holders meeting?

This was supposedly Tim’s legacy device … it’s fallen flat.

Have never seen an ad on TV for it or on a YouTube ad. Just a bizarre rollout for what they seem to think will be a revolutionary device.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
Price is not the issue, it’s the lack of a use case.
Both are connected issues. If few people have the device, there will be fewer developers making apps and content for the people who do have the device.

People using a $3500 Mac benefit from a relatively large user base that is possible because there are also Macs that are available for under $1000.

Apple tries to sidestep the content issue somewhat by making it compatible with iPad apps, but for a VR/AR headset to really succeed, it needs apps that take advantage of its strengths.

Last edited:
Reactions: vipergts2207

Gumbeaux

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2022
It’s too expensive, it’s big and cumbersome, and there are no must have apps for it.

It’s basically a beta product that targets a very niche audience.

Apple is hedging its bets on AR/VR becoming popular, but I don’t think it is outside of a few gamers and the tech community.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
Neither of them remotely compare to the iPhone.
Tim Cook didn't follow up the most popular and profitable branded product of all time with something even bigger and more profitable. Fire him!!

If Jobs were still around, he would have made 3 or 4 products by now that each bring in more revenue and profit for Apple than the iPhone.

frownface

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2020
$3500, US Only, no killer apps.

1. Reduce the price dramatically.
  2. Make it available worldwide.
  3. Release Apple branded game controllers for it.

#3 probably won't happen since apple have gone all in on their pinchy hands UI and have too much hubris to just go with controllers like all the other low cost competiors that don't require a massive array of sensors

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
It’s absolutely an inflection point in the industry.
Absolutely. But no credit to Tim Cook. Apple Silicon is a result of two key acquisitions made by Steve Jobs => 1) PA Semi and 2) Intrinsity

I'll give Tim Cook credit for two major products though: 1) Apple Watch and 2) AirPods

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Big, Heavy, Asspensive, Limited utility. By the time they figure out the features they want to integrate to sell it to us, it'll be three generations too old and not powerful enough to run the new OS. Been burned by half-baked overstuffed potatoes like this enough times already. For $4000, I can get a slip for my sailboat for an entire year here and compared to staring at another gui, I could do with the fresh air.

...and I'm a long-time AR/XR optimist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.