Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So, basically same whine as the 100 people before hummm.

The first Apple watch was not even rated to go under the shower (or waranteed) yet, many people used it 18 months even swimming.

Water damage is not the same as other types of damage, you have very little way of knowing how it occurred.
That's why they can't cover it; doesn't mean it suddenly is likely it would fail from it. Apple tends to overengineer these kinds of things (though its harder to do so with the phone than the watch).
And yet apparently Apple covered liquid damage with the fist generation of Apple Watch.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Reactions: paul4339

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
You know what else is magic? Not being able to plug your new iPhone 7 into your new MacBook Pro without a dongle.
Can't you just use a USB-C to lightning cable?

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...4e73dd4cfa39513f6850f966e455a5e1ebffe2c7008f8
[doublepost=1478208650][/doublepost]
What I still dont understand.
I had Sony Xperia Z1 Compact and I took underwater pics with it 2 years long.
It had IP58 and I had no problems at all.

iPhone 7 has IP67, isnt that much better?
And we are not allowed to take underwater pics with it?
WHY? :confused:
Liquid ingress of 7 and 8 seem to be pretty similar, but I think 8 is a little better.

7 Immersion, up to 1 m depth Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion). Test duration: 30 minutes - ref IEC 60529, table 8.
Tested with the lowest point of the enclosure 1000 mm below the surface of the water, or the highest point 150 mm below the surface, whichever is deeper.

8 Immersion, 1 m or more depth The equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under conditions which shall be specified by the manufacturer. However, with certain types of equipment, it can mean that water can enter but only in such a manner that it produces no harmful effects. The test depth and/or duration is expected to be greater than the requirements for IPx7, and other environmental effects may be added, such as temperature cycling before immersion. Test duration: Agreement with Manufacturer
Depth specified by manufacturer, generally up to 3 m

(The first digit is dust protection, the second digit is water. I actually think the iPhone should be marketed as IP64 though, since liquid ingress of 4 = splashing, which is really all it should be exposed to).

Last edited:

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Reactions: 44267547

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
One lemon doesn't disprove anything. A normal unit will be de facto waterproof.
There have certainly been more than one like that, and will likely be more, just like there will be plenty that won't really be affected by liquid. I guess the question is whether or not to truly treat it as such and have a device that might not be perfectly sealed in one way or another and have it damaged and then basically be on the hook for getting it replaced.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
There have certainly been more than one like that, and will likely be more, just like there will be plenty that won't really be affected by liquid. I guess the question is whether or not to truly treat it as such and have a device that might not be perfectly sealed in one way or another and have it damaged and then basically be on the hook for getting it replaced.
I'll take my chances and treat it as rated.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Probably the best Apple spot in a decade. Gorgeous cinematography.

Apple does this so well. When Apple was releasing the Jet Black iPhone 7 commercial, where the actor takes a picture on the hill over looking the city at night, it was showing the reflection of the lights from the city off the back of the Jet Black model. Pure marketing genius to show the new sleek Jet Black color.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
There is nothing that states it is not. If you read the entire AppleCare warranty there is nothing that states it is not covered. The word liquid is not even mentioned. Therefore it is covered. Under law for something not to be covered it must be excluded in the fine print. That and also I have had a watch replaced for suspected water damage. There was a blob that developed under the screen. Others in the Apple Watch forum have had the same expierience. No cost replacement.

So it's not covered for liquid damage then, same as iPhone.

=Alb=

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
"Liquid damages not covered by warranty".
Ahaha! This Cook's Apple is a joke!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
So it's not covered for liquid damage then, same as iPhone.
Did you not read what I said. It is covered. Under law, for something not to be covered, it must be excluded in the fine print. It is not excluded, therefore it is covered. Also, as I said, there are many here that have had Apple Watches replaced for water damage, myself included. The world liquid is not mentioned in the AppleCare T/C for Apple Watch, meaning its covered. It would have to specifically say, "water damage is not covered".

It is 100% covered.

Reactions: decafjava

gpooley

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2016
Terrible ad. Thought is was a Dos Equus ad. Old White Man with an iPhone trying to impress young women. Is that all the innovation Apple has left?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Terrible ad. Thought is was a Dos Equus ad. Old White Man with an iPhone trying to impress young women. Is that all the innovation Apple has left?

You joined today and your first post is bashing Apple.. You might be in the wrong forum. Clearly the point of the ad was to advertise water resistance and stereo speakers. Also, last time I check innovation isn't measured by ads.

Reactions: bobob and decafjava

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
"practically magic"

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHH!!!!!!! can't believe this!! stereo speakers!!! indeed the future is now!! WOW!!!!

this is awesome!!, it's fantastic and very impressive the way Apple, the fantastic and impressive presents the new and better than ever iPhone 7 which is amazing and resistant to the wonderful and amazing water.

the claim could be "we should do this at least in the in the first iPad, but we didn't maderfukers"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.