Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Because an ad isn't full of youthful Millenials you think Apple's target market is old people and not you? You must be a Millenial... ;)

If you make it long enough, one day YOU will be a "has-been".

More like targeting a different audience, seeing millennials are not buying the iPhone 7 in the numbers Apple had hoped.
guess you belong to a bunch of poor young wanna-bees.

Stating the obvious here, if this guy was a millennial (meaning in his prime) how surprising would it be to see him go up to the high dive and execute that dive perfectly? Or get looks from other young folk as he did so? It's the very fact that he is an old gent that makes everyone curious and worried as he head up and up those stairs. And it's his age that makes his perfect dive a surprise.

So, it's not about who the target market is, it's about the ad wanting to surprise you.

Do you really view the protagonist of this commercial as a "has-been"?

Heavens... First of all, the ad is full of youthful millennials, but they along with everyone else play the role of a spectator to Giovanni (and, pause for a minute, where the heck did he get AirPods already??? :D). Second, 'has-been' was a bit harsh, but I only meant it in the way that Michael Jordan is also a has-been, i.e. a one-time legend that is now well past his athletic prime.

All I'm saying is that this is a far cry from the marketing norm for most technology companies in general. When it comes to new tech, usually younger people are the target demographic, and I'm sure there are stats to back up the reasoning for that. Personally I appreciate the diversity of this ad, even if it is unexpected. No, the ad would not make sense with younger person as the subject-- that's not what I am saying at all.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Just out of curiosity, how would one cover liquid damage by warranty anyway? I mean, say it's rated to 2 meters, how could anyone prove that it wasn't used below 2 meters?

AFAIK, this is standard procedure. My dive watch is waterproof and advertised as such, but water damage is not covered by warranty. What IS covered by warranty is if I can prove to them that there is a problem with the watch that makes it not hold water, but the water damage itself is (theoretically) not covered.

The Apple Watch Gen 1 is rated the asme way as the iPhone 7 is and that is covered under warranty if there is water damage. Additionally, as I mentioned throughout this thread. Apple can use the barometer for water pressure and depth. They can have a diagnostic that runs a check on the barometer. If it was below 1m of water, then warranty would be denied.
[doublepost=1478181949][/doublepost]
It is water resistant, not water proof. Learn the difference.

As is the Apple Watch first Gen. That is water resistant, advertised as water resistant and if it breaks from water damage, it is covered under warranty. Don't tell me to learn the difference. I never claimed its water proof.

Reactions: C DM

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
The Apple Watch Gen 1 is rated the asme way as the iPhone 7 is and that is covered under warranty if there is water damage. Additionally, as I mentioned throughout this thread. Apple can use the barometer for water pressure and depth. They can have a diagnostic that runs a check on the barometer. If it was below 1m of water, then warranty would be denied.
[doublepost=1478181949][/doublepost]

As is the Apple Watch first Gen. That is water resistant, advertised as water resistant and if it breaks from water damage, it is covered under warranty. Don't tell me to learn the difference. I never claimed its water proof.
I did not know that. Poor show by Apple then - wonder why the change? o_O

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I did not know that. Poor show by Apple then - wonder why the change? o_O

iPhone is more expensive and more areas for water to leak. It makes sense. But its false advertising to say its water resistant, make it a selling feature that it is water resistant and then not back that claim with warranty. All it takes is a little water spilling on the device that has a defective sim card tray gasket and the phone is entirely ruined. That would be a manufacturing defect, not user error.

Heltik

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
USA
Apple should have made an ad of people partying to show off the stereo speakers.

Exactly, this advert left me bewildered by the reveal. I thought it was going to be about the camera and water proofing, or some dive app that captured his movements. I was really buying into the vintage look, with the "super cool grandpa" that understands tech and is physically strong and athletic, and then suddenly it became about the speakers, clearly being misrepresented as being far more space filling than they could ever be. And why the need for the character to put on the dramatic music, especially when his head is about to be submerged in water? He just moved from super-cool to a try-hard poser.

And yet they were so nearly there. To quote the late great: "you just baked a really great cake, and then used dog **** for frosting."

Last edited:

mattan_lines

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2016
Loudness does not necessarily mean good, so the example you gave is not qualifying the speakers as good imo.
Well how about this: The sound and the quality of sound on the iPhone 7 is significantly better than any iPhone Apple has ever made. Better bass, and a wider range of sound.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
So after watching this commercial I didn't realize that control center controls for music were in landscape on my phone. That's great, but I want APPLE MUSIC in landscape for when I am driving and using my iPhone as a GPS. When I glance quickly and change a track, it's in portrait.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008

I can't see anything that indicates the AW is covered under warranty for liquid damage. Link?

craigh1976

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2016
RVA
Not gonna lie, the speakers on the iPhone 7 are amazing... I turned it all the way up and started playing music and it woke the baby in the next room. GREAT sound and no more of that silly cupping the bottom of the iPhone to attempt to focus the sound towards you.
It's probably my favorite change from the 6s

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
The magic is Apple turning non-features into a marketing phrenzy that have people lining up around the block to pitch out their "old" iPhone 6s for a "new" iPhone 7 and thinking it was a necessary and noticeable upgrade.

An ad like this can be seen as Apple trumping up their product by saying "Hey, do you remember we released a new iPhone 7 right? Please buy it because it does something new, really, honest, it's magic, you will like the new iPhone 7 bigly".

Steve Jobs said Apple didn't need advertising to sell a product when it is done right, seems like there are a ton of new Apple ads coming out every few weeks these days....

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I can't see anything that indicates the AW is covered under warranty for liquid damage. Link?

There is nothing that states it is not. If you read the entire AppleCare warranty there is nothing that states it is not covered. The word liquid is not even mentioned. Therefore it is covered. Under law for something not to be covered it must be excluded in the fine print. That and also I have had a watch replaced for suspected water damage. There was a blob that developed under the screen. Others in the Apple Watch forum have had the same expierience. No cost replacement.

bkaus

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2014
iPhone is more expensive and more areas for water to leak. It makes sense. But its false advertising to say its water resistant, make it a selling feature that it is water resistant and then not back that claim with warranty. All it takes is a little water spilling on the device that has a defective sim card tray gasket and the phone is entirely ruined. That would be a manufacturing defect, not user error.

I agree! I'm guessing that the reason is that there is no way to tell if it was submerged to the specifications or submerged 100ft for days. But, it's bad deal to quickly look at the indicator strip by the lightning port and declare water damage.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Uh, but aren't there instances of iPhone 7/7+'s getting damaged? Not by the owners throwing them in, but by the phones just being placed in water for a minute or two.

EDIT: On top of that, Apple won't cover any water damages. Kind of comedic that this would be their ad.

My take on it is at least they are showing an accidental case of being exposed to water. Some other ads show phones being dunked or splashed with champagne deliberately. They should have to put a disclaimer on this ad that water damage isn't covered.

Haven't read the thread so my apologies if the gist of my post has been made clear already.

juan1982

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2016
Los Molinos, CA

Apple today shared a new television ad on its YouTube channel, designed to show off several key iPhone 7 and 7 Plus features, including the improved waterproofing and the device's speakers.

In the video, a man sets his iPhone to play dramatic music (La Virgen de la Macarena by Arturo Sandoval) while at the pool. He then proceeds to climb up to the high dive, jumping off as the music climaxes. The iPhone is splashed with water during the process, highlighting its water resistance.

The iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus are Apple's first iOS devices with superior waterproofing, offering IP67 water and dust resistance. The two iPhones can withstand being submerged in up to a meter of water for 30 minutes, and are resistant to splashes and accidental spills. Intentional water exposure is still not recommended, however, as Apple's warranty does not cover water damage.

As for the speakers, the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus include one speaker at the bottom of the phone and one speaker at the top of the phone, introducing stereo sound in the iPhone for the first time. The speakers put out twice the volume of the single speaker in the iPhone 6s and have been designed to offer superior sound in both landscape and portrait mode.

Apple has thus far produced several ads showing off the iPhone 7, highlighting features like waterproofing, the camera and its ability to capture low-light images, and its longer battery life. The iPhone 7 has also been featured in an ad focusing on the Messages Screen Effects available in iOS 10.

Article Link: Apple Debuts New 'Dive' Ad Focusing on iPhone 7 Speakers and Water Resistance

Apple today shared a new television ad on its YouTube channel, designed to show off several key iPhone 7 and 7 Plus features, including the improved waterproofing and the device's speakers.

In the video, a man sets his iPhone to play dramatic music (La Virgen de la Macarena by Arturo Sandoval) while at the pool. He then proceeds to climb up to the high dive, jumping off as the music climaxes. The iPhone is splashed with water during the process, highlighting its water resistance.

The iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus are Apple's first iOS devices with superior waterproofing, offering IP67 water and dust resistance. The two iPhones can withstand being submerged in up to a meter of water for 30 minutes, and are resistant to splashes and accidental spills. Intentional water exposure is still not recommended, however, as Apple's warranty does not cover water damage.

As for the speakers, the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus include one speaker at the bottom of the phone and one speaker at the top of the phone, introducing stereo sound in the iPhone for the first time. The speakers put out twice the volume of the single speaker in the iPhone 6s and have been designed to offer superior sound in both landscape and portrait mode.

Apple has thus far produced several ads showing off the iPhone 7, highlighting features like waterproofing, the camera and its ability to capture low-light images, and its longer battery life. The iPhone 7 has also been featured in an ad focusing on the Messages Screen Effects available in iOS 10.

Article Link: Apple Debuts New 'Dive' Ad Focusing on iPhone 7 Speakers and Water Resistance

What music app is that? It has landscape mode... Can't be the Music app right?

swajames

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2003
It's a nice commercial, but to use it in part to showcase water resistance and have fine print at the end excluding water damage from warranty repairs is almost asinine...

Reactions: jrbdmb

jrbdmb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
USA
I am a little worried if the best innovation of the iPhone 7 that is worth promoting is... water resistance - something the $20 Casio watch I had back in the 1990's delivered flawlessly.

Water resistant ... but don't actually let it get wet because we won't cover your sorry butt if it gets any water damage.

"Practically water resistant. Almost somewhat magic (limitations apply)."

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Water resistant ... but don't actually let it get wet because we won't cover your sorry butt if it gets any water damage.

"Practically water resistant. Almost somewhat magic (limitations apply)."

So, basically same whine as the 100 people before hummm.

The first Apple watch was not even rated to go under the shower (or waranteed) yet, many people used it 18 months even swimming.

Water damage is not the same as other types of damage, you have very little way of knowing how it occurred.
That's why they can't cover it; doesn't mean it suddenly is likely it would fail from it. Apple tends to overengineer these kinds of things (though its harder to do so with the phone than the watch).

Reactions: paul4339
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.