Apple Debuts Wireless 'AirPods' With 5 Hours of Music Playback

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 7, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced a new pair of wireless "AirPods," which provide up to 5 hours of music playback and high-quality sound through a "seamless and automatic connection" between devices. The AirPods include a rechargeable battery case that delivers up to 24 hours of battery life.

[​IMG]

The AirPods connect instantly with a single tap and switch between iCloud-connected Apple devices on the fly. Playback is controlled by dual-optical sensors that "know when you are listening" and will pause music automatically when taken out. A double tap on the buds invokes Siri, allowing the user to select and control music, change the volume, check battery life or perform any other Siri task. This functionality is enabled by an ultra-low power Apple W1 chip inside, which also delivers higher quality audio, claims Apple.

Each AirPod also has an additional accelerometer that detects when the user is speaking, while a pair of beam-forming microphones focus on the sound of the user's voice and filters out external noise.

[​IMG]

The AirPods come with a Lightning cable for charging the case, and will be available to buy from late October in stores and online at a price of $159. The earphones require Apple devices running iOS 10, watchOS 3 or macOS Sierra.

The company also showcased a pair of new, lightning-connected EarPods at the media event in San Francisco. These wired headphones will be included in the box for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, along with a Lightning-to-3.5mm headphone adapter.

Article Link: Apple Debuts Wireless 'AirPods' With 5 Hours of Music Playback

2. Jmausmuc macrumors 6502a

Jmausmuc

Will they also connect to each other right though your skull?

3. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

These remind me of Apple's original Bluetooth headset for the original iPhone - I have one lol but this looks cool.

Wonder how much they'll cost? And with dual microphones, are they noise cancelling?

My only problem with these is if they retain the shaped of the EarPods exactly. Mine have a tendency to fall out of one ear due to it's shape - it's annoying but it's okay since the other EarPod will keep them from falling out entirely, and I can just plop the failen one back in.

If it happens here I can see it not going so well...

4. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

They look cool, but also look like they'll fall out with any sudden movement.

5. LovingTeddy macrumors 68000

LovingTeddy

Bull ****.

First of all: it is crappy design. Look at that two thing sticks out.

Second: If I go to a field trip, 5 hours play back is too short. I still remember people mocking Samsung when they released their Bluetooth headphone.

6. Mr. Donahue macrumors 6502

Mr. Donahue

Hahahahaha! A dongle adapter? I don't believe it! What a joke! It must be. They actually did that? Oh man that sounds so backwards

7. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Definitely will be buying this, I use my headphones a lot and constantly they breakdown down because of wire damage

8. navier, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

navier macrumors regular

navier

Frivolous lawsuit because someone got injured inserting the micro-side in the ear in 3... 2... 1...

9. Traverse, Sep 7, 2016

Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I gotta say, these caught my attention more than anything else so far. I'm a little disappointed at the 5 hours of battery life, but the battery case was a great idea.

EDIT: $159!? NOPE :eek:

10. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

I wish the wireless AirPods would come with the iPhone 7! That said, they still look great; maybe will be a bit weird getting used to the design, but looks like it'll be great!

I'm curious about the price; and I guess they will be compatible with iPhone 6?

11. jozeppy26 macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

So Apple buys Beats, markets Beats, hires their executive team, then designs their own headphones

12. scaramoosh macrumors 6502a

5 hours is useless, I work 9 hours and need 12 hours per day...... I'd rather the 3.5mm jack, I don't need stereo speakers built into the phone, I don't even need one speaker, they're small and crap and I only ever have my phone in vibrate... I never use the built in speakers.

13. navier macrumors regular

navier

I mostly agree, but a simple speaker for notifications and calls is necessary ;)

14. DiceMoney macrumors member

That adapter looked so clumsy, 5 hours not enough, also this things looked like they so can easily get lost.

15. scaramoosh macrumors 6502a

I never hear the speaker, I just go by the vibration from my Apple Watch.

16. navier macrumors regular

navier

I haven't thought on that :p

17. bbfc macrumors 68040

A dongle for what?

18. russ99 macrumors member

Very interesting. If I can switch devices without the annoying bluetooth juggling, it will be great.

I'll have to checkout the wireless Beats with the same tech.

19. HopefulHumanist, Sep 7, 2016

HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

Guys, it's 5 hours of continuous playback. If you put them in the charging case when you're not using them, you can get 24 hours of playback. Not saying it's the best but it does seems manageable. I'll definitely check them out when they launch but I'm worried they won't be comfortable. They look just like the EarPods and those things are uncomfortable as hell.

20. gorkt macrumors 6502a

gorkt

I have a few questions.

1) How long do these take to charge?
    2) How do they stay in your ear?
    3) Are they sweat-proof/water proof.

I like the easy connectivity and I am inclined to think that the Apple Wireless will be tuned to the phone and avoid some of the pitfalls that other wireless headphones have.

21. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

Wow, I expected a much higher price from Apple, especially since this is the only hiccup free wire free wireless headphones in the world right now. These are priced to move people. I hope I can get mine without much delay.

22. dustinsc macrumors regular

Why is that backwards? Every change in connector has required a dongle adapter until peripherals catch up. A dongle on something that already has a cord doesn't seem like that big a deal.

23. Rigby macrumors 601

The automatic pairing looks nice, and I like the small storage case. But no sound insulation or active noise cancellation make them useless on airplanes and in other noisy environments. 5 hours runtime isn't great either. Disappointing.

24. pcmacgamer macrumors regular