Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When Apple debuted its AirPods in September, the company said the wireless earbuds would launch in late October. Now that it's late October, people have been wondering if a release is imminent, but as it turns out, the AirPods are delayed.

Apple today told TechCrunch that it needs "a little more time" before the AirPods are ready for a public release, without specifying the reason behind the delay.

airpods-2-800x436.jpg
"The early response to AirPods has been incredible. We don't believe in shipping a product before it's ready, and we need a little more time before AirPods are ready for our customers," an Apple spokesperson said to TechCrunch.
Apple did not provide TechCrunch with updated launch information, so it is no longer clear when the AirPods will be available for purchase.

AirPods are Apple's premium headphone solution for the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus, which do not include a headphone jack. AirPods, powered by Bluetooth and an Apple-designed W1 chip, are entirely wireless with no cords between them.

They include advanced features like infrared sensors to detect when they're in the ear, beam forming microphones to reduce external noise, and accelerometers to respond to touch gestures.

AirPods have been in the hands of reviewers since September and have garnered largely positive reviews for the fit, the features, the simple setup, and the easy recharging.

Article Link: Apple Delays AirPods, October Launch No Longer Happening

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Very annoying but I'm glad they're not releasing a product that isn't up to their standards. (Hopefully they'll add the ability to change volume on the AirPods themselves?)

It thought it was a bit strange that we'd heard nothing at all from the September event up to now.

Perhaps I'll buy a Mac in the meantime!

Hopefully we're talking no more than a month. Could be a few weeks. Please tell us more tomorrow Apple!!

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
Mean while in Apple offices
"Damn it, did you see that Microsoft event! update the Macs NOW!!! screw the Ear pods".

I tease, it will be interesting to see what the adoption rate of these will be; whether they will gain better traction than the initial Apple watch launch. I found it odd they did not release these under beats (I thought that was going to be their default for headphone items).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.