Apple Delays iPad 2 Launch in Japan Following Earthquake and Tsunami

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 15, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reuters reports that Apple has delayed the launch of the iPad 2 in Japan following last week's earthquake and tsunami that have devastated significant parts of the country. The iPad 2 had been scheduled to debut in Japan as part of a broad international to over two dozen countries on March 25th."We are delaying the launch of the iPad 2 in Japan while the country and our teams focus on recovering from the recent disaster," said Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris.Apple has yet to announced a rescheduled Japanese launch date for the device.

The delay comes as Apple continues to accept donations via iTunes to support aid efforts by the American Red Cross in Japan.

Meanwhile, Digg founder Kevin Rose yesterday shared an email from a friend in Japan relaying Apple's efforts to support its customers and employees in the aftermath of the earthquake. In the hours after the earthquake, the company's retail stores served as point of connectivity to allow people to gather information and contact friends and family, while the company also allowed employees and their families to temporarily seek shelter in the retail stores and offered to assist those attempting to return to their homes.

Article Link: Apple Delays iPad 2 Launch in Japan Following Earthquake and Tsunami

2. applefan289 macrumors 68000

3. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Understandable, there's more important things for the Japanese than iPad's at this time.

I hope Apple joins other companies and donate money to Japan (if they haven't already).

4. GeekLawyer macrumors 68020

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    The story relayed by Kevin Rose is actually touching.

Good on Apple for being so kind to its employees in the wake of the disaster.

5. jeffereyj macrumors member

future shipments reduced?

will the disaster affect Apple's ability to keep manufacturing iPads?
    i'm assuming there's like a 2-3 month delay anyway from when they're made and when they actually show up in stores....?

6. mikeapple macrumors member

mikeapple

As much as I love the iPad... its basically a Tech Toy... and I'm pretty sure that a delay of a toy for grown-ups is the least of Japan's worries.

I'm guilty of coveting my tech possessions but this tragedy has made me take some time and realize whats more important. PEOPLE

7. LaDirection macrumors 6502

My girlfriend is asian, I can't stop thinking about the japanese people and the horrors they are going through. Stuff like iPads and iPhones are cool but that's not what life comes down to.

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Japan's searching for loved ones, the USA is searching for iPads :eek: - yeah, really nice...

:rolleyes:

9. simmstar macrumors member

I think I read somewhere that you are able to donate via iTunes....
    Anyone read that also?

10. cvaldes macrumors 68040

Yeah, lots of people read it. Some of them are actually using iTunes to make donations.

11. HBOC macrumors 68020

yes you can donate via iTunes.

Looks like many Japanese companies are donating, as I am sure many more will follow:

From Endgaget:

"As a tech publication, we're obviously focused on the impact recent events will have on Japan's vast consumer electronics industry -- an industry that has responded with millions of dollars in cash, equipment and services to help with the relief effort. Thus far, Canon, Panasonic, and Sony have each pledged ¥300 million ($3.67 million) in donations. Sony is also matching employee contributions as will Mitsubishi who's donating a whopping ¥500 million ($6.1 million) in aid. On the equipment side, Sony is donating some 30,000 radios to relief efforts while Panasonic is providing 10,000 radios, 10,000 flashlights, and 500,000 batteries. NEC, Kyocera, and Epson are each donating ¥100 million in funds, computers, and telecoms and IT equipment.

12. vartanarsen macrumors 6502a

Does Apple keep 30% of the donation in iTunes?

13. mrcrlee macrumors regular

Honestly, from a business and public relations perspective, it makes perfect sense:

1. Regardless of the truth, people would see Apple selling something so hot as the iPad as irresponsible.
    2. A large portion of the people in Japan probably don't have the money/inclination to buy one right now.
    3. The inventory can be used elsewhere.

It's really a win-win for Apple.

14. LaDirection macrumors 6502

No, 100% goes to the red cross.

"Donation amounts range from $5 to $200, and the entire amount is sent to the American Red Cross."

15. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

16. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Agreed. That was a great article attached to the end of an article that only exists due to devastation and disaster. Great on Apple's part - they went from a store that sells technology, to entirely forgetting that for a while. They became a hub for people to reconnect in a time of turmoil. :) Awesome news, and very nice that Apple reacted so quickly to be so selfless.

Weird to see Apple act selflessly, actually, and very nice.

17. cvaldes macrumors 68040

I don't think anyone knows for sure at this point how the disaster in Japan will effect every industry and product as the situation is constantly changing. For sure, Apple sources NAND flash and DRAM from Japanese factories and these events will not help.

You are wrong about the lag. These products are on store shelves within days or a couple of weeks (channel partners). My guess is that Apple normally maintains a two-week inventory at its own retail stores, with channel partners having 30-45 day stock.

Hence, Apple can release new products and there is rarely leftover old product. In many cases, Apple lets the channel run dry shortly before they announce new product.

Managing the supply chain is one of COO Tim Cook's competencies and one of the main reasons why Apple is so profitable.

18. Mistrblank macrumors regular

Anyone else think this?

I'm all for them wanting to help people and think it's a great story.
    But did anyone else think when reading this, "An Apple store with all of that glass is not a place I'd want to be in a country still experiencing aftershocks above 6 on the Richter Scale?"

19. dadoftwogirls macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

This would be news, how? I mean look a the country. Heartbreaking. Does anyone really think they give a crap about the iPad 2 showing up right now?

20. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

when we have disasters, do they stop their life?

No. I do wish the best to Japan, but yes I check on my iPad tracking daily.

21. fishmoose macrumors 68000

It may be relevant to stockholders, Japanese Apple fans and other people for their own reasons. Basically, if you don't like the headline don't read the story ;)

22. Micjose macrumors member

Love to hear that apple can help its own employees and people from outside. Now those macs, ipads, and iphones are worth using in the store. :)

23. shartypants macrumors 6502a

shartypants

I imagine Japan's infrastructure, including delivery, is under a big strain and I'm sure Apple doesn't want to disrupt any relief efforts. Its also not a very happy time for a product release. Smart decision for Apple.

24. clibinarius macrumors 6502a

It is nice to see them react so well, but selfless? Not quite; Apple is trying to expand its market share in Asia, where it faces heavy competition on cell phones and computers (Sony). Apple doesn't do much hiring either in Japan compared to Korea.

While I think people at Apple are genuinely concerned and I'd be shocked if they didn't have a lot of Japanese Engineers that we've never heard of, remember, if a corporation is doing something against their best interests for revenue, that's a moral wrong. You can learn that in any business law class.

I'm more interested in the material Apple is giving to Japan than donations (Japan doesn't need money-it has the money. It needs goods to spend their money on). By supplying shelter and services, it is doing a lot more than a lot of charities and should be commended for their right thinking.

25. johneaston macrumors regular

Earthquake, tsunami, nuclear meltdown...

They don't also need the disappointment that is the iPad 2, so good on Apple.