Apple Delays iPhone 6 Plus Battery Replacements Until March-April Due to Limited Supply

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Dan Holmstock macrumors member

Dan Holmstock

[​IMG]

2. deferredAnon macrumors 6502

deferredAnon

Not slower, but throttled. Big difference.

3. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

It's not like we could reserve the Genius Bar until March anyway.

4. rplat macrumors newbie

5. vicviper789 macrumors member

and i will be. i enjoy my headphone jack a little too much

6. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

Surely Apple will give us a rain check if the batteries are OOS on Dec 31, 2018.

7. gugy macrumors 68030

Hummm, I have an appointment to replace my wife’s 6S next week. So far, I have not heard anything from Apple. I guess I should call to make sure I won’t go there for nothing.

8. Mr Fusion macrumors 6502a

Mr Fusion

I see what you did there. Take your like.

9. 78Bandit macrumors 6502

78Bandit

I was going to get my 6 Plus battery replaced this month. Guess that won't be happening. My phone has slowed down to the point I can't even scroll through my contact list to make a call without the stuttering resulting in an inadvertent press on some random number. Launching OneNote, which I use frequently, takes a minimum of 15-20 seconds.

I can understand why people replaced their phones. If I didn't know the throttling was introduced last year and my phone tested fine at the Apple store I would very likely have just bought an 8 Plus over the holidays when they had $300 discounts at Wal-Mart. I'd pay just to avoid the frustration of dealing with a device I use daily not working as expected.

10. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

How convenient. Why get a $29 battery in 2 months when you can have the revolutionary $1000 iPhone X right now!

11. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

It needs an Apple battery in it

12. Macalway macrumors 68020

I like Apple stuff, but being an iPhone 6 user who spent $1000+ on an X because the 6 inexplicably became unusable, i'm thinking they owe me around $200, which I think I may just get when they are succesfully sued.

But the really amazing thing is just how lame the scam was. So lame, i'm thinking it wasn't even a scam, just a very expensive blunder

13. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

And we can only blame Apple, everyone wouldn't be freaking out and having to guess if Apple had communicated these things before, but now it's left to "the media" and Apple's apologies

14. mmaggion macrumors newbie

15. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

The iphone 6s were less than 1 yr when people started having sudden shutdowns and about 1 yr old when Apple released the iOS update with throttling.

You think throttlegate happened last month?

16. gaximus macrumors 6502a

Throttled makes it slower. A truck throttled to 60 mph, is slower than a truck not throttled that can go 70 mph. So you would still be "enjoying a slower phone"

17. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

You obviously don't understand what throttling a CPU means.

18. kagharaht macrumors 6502a

Probably because you have people who don't even need it demanding a battery. So now all the batteries that are needed for legit customers are gone.

19. deferredAnon macrumors 6502

deferredAnon

The difference is something throttled has been slowed down on purpose, it's a verb.

20. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

Do you really think they have any incentive to be in a hurry?

21. Ant2369 macrumors member

Ant2369

People seem to forget the 6/6 Plus were released over 3 years ago and mass production of the phone and parts was probably stopped around the time the 7 was released with just enough made continuously for necessary repairs and swaps. They need to totally re start production for a battery on a 3 1/2 Year or phone. It’s not like there are thousands stock piled somewhere.

22. Will do good macrumors 6502a

Will do good

Apple didn't "seem to find new ways these days to crap on the customers", they ran out of ONE battery model because of supplies and demand. They didn't look for new way to screw it's customers.

23. itsmilo macrumors 68010

itsmilo

What ISNT delayed when it comes to Apple? Hard to root for them these days

24. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

Seriously!

First, apple slows down the CPU. Now they are slowing down the battery replacement program.

They are turning into the Government!
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2018 ---
    But the software is so well written a 3 1/2 year old phone can run it!

25. jarred125 macrumors 6502a

The whole thing is so dumb and Apple is 100% at fault for it. The media is going to do what the media is going to do, but the fact is Apple hid a problem from customers. They were called out on it and offered an "apology". When Apple starts to learn from their mistakes then they can get a pass, otherwise this is the type of thing that should be expected.

Also, take a look over at the apple subreddit and look at the stories of Apple "geniuses" still CLEARLY not understanding what the issue is and telling customers batteries wont fix the problem, they should buy new devices, etc. Apple STILL has problems with this, one would think their own employees would have received training to help on this matter but it seems that is not happening in all cases.