Apple Delays iPhone 6 Plus Battery Replacements Until March-April Due to Limited Supply

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2018.

1. deferredAnon macrumors 6502

deferredAnon

So was Apple assuming everyone with iPhone 6/6S was simply going to upgrade from relentless throttling?

2. RedWing512 macrumors member

That's pretty much Apple in a nutshell since Steve passed.

3. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

Homepod? Oh, wait...

4. gaximus macrumors 6502a

But your original comment said that it wasn't slower. Something can be both throttled and slower.

5. Act3 macrumors 68000

major new iOS version is always released on time for a new iPhone, whether or not it is really ready

6. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

Shocking...

"And you want to be my supply chain guy... "

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

This is the true issue with regard to the iPhone batteries - how long after release will batteries be available? It's all very well saying the you could replace an iPhone battery, but it means nothing if there is no new battery with which to perform the replacement. I still use a 4S, on its second battery. The phone is fine and when I upgrade I'd like to use the 4S as a GPS device. The problem keeping old phones like this going, though, is that the availability of batteries dries up quickly after release. I have had to retire a laptop PC and some other devices that were in fine working order simply because the batteries were not available.

8. deferredAnon macrumors 6502

deferredAnon

Slower is an adjective/adverb.

Something that is 'slower' does not necessarily mean it has been slowed down or throttled.

9. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

I know. Apple didn't plan on so many being upset and wanting the $29 out. Apple figured everyone was SO IN LOVE with their tech they'd overlook it and upgrade. Problem is - the situation will continue for the 7 , 8 and beyond until customers start voting with their wallet and battery!

10. M.PaulCezanne, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018

M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

The stores in my area (Washington, DC) are dumpster fires with massive lines at all times during all days of the week. You’d think they’d just debuted a new product. None have batteries and the wait times are over a week now.

Just goes to show how many Apple customers are smart enough to not upgrade for relatively useless features.

Yes it sounds conspiratorial, but Apple is all too aware that the most useful apps (not necessarily the latest games) run just fine on a 6 without any performance problems and without “innovations” like 3D Touch. We know this too. The only restrictions are battery life and (now) Apple’s intentional slowdown. Might not be a conspiracy, but if it walks like a duck...

The truth is, if the iPhone battery were user replaceable, Apple’s revenue would be significantly lower over the last 5 years. Does anyone really believe they don’t know this and didn’t consider it when designing the device? And they certainly have no incentive to be highly responsive to those asking for new batteries (at least not until a court orders it).

In reality, I might end up deciding to keep my $29 battery replacement fee and instead upgrade to a new iPhone just to capture the current $125 trade-in value on my 6, but I would do this simply because I believe Apple will stop supporting the 6 before the end of 2018 for no real reason other than they want to. If not for that, I’d replace the battery and use the 6 until it (or I) kick the bucket.

11. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Why not just buy a new iPhone out of frustration? That's what Apple would strongly want from you in any case.

12. gaximus macrumors 6502a

You are correct, but something that has been throttled is slower.

The original comment to you was to "enjoy your slower phone for the next 4 months". and you commented that "it wasn't slower it was throttled".

If it has been throttled, then it is slower. <- your definition

13. ironpony macrumors regular

ironpony

14. deferredAnon, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018

deferredAnon macrumors 6502

deferredAnon

The phone is 'slower'(adverb) because it is 'throttled'(verb). It will be back to not being 'slower' once 'throttling' is reversed. Priority is placed on 'throttling' being the primarily factor behind the phone being 'slower'. Writing it otherwise implies there is no throttling because majority of things being slow or slower than before is not a result of being throttled, leading one to mistakenly assume the phone being 'slower' is due to natural time progress.

Therefore, the proper wording would be 'Enjoy your throttled phone for the next four months'.

I think I clarified enough on the topic. No need to fill up this thread with this discussion.

15. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

From Apple HQ a few weeks ago...

Tim Cook:
    "We won't be able to hit our sales numbers if everyone gets new batteries instead of new phones, but we can't delay all replacement batteries or it would look suspicious."

Apple Marketing Person:
    "The segment we want to target is those with an iPhone 6 Plus, because they already buy high-end devices & their devices are already 3 years old. They are most likely to upgrade to the iPhone X in the next few months."

Tim Cook:
    "Sounds good. Delay the iPhone 6 Plus batteries a few months and keep the other batteries flowing. And get T-Mobile to start offering BOGO on the iPhone X. We need to drive sales people!!!"

16. Starship67, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2018

Starship67 Suspended

Starship67

2nd star to the right and straight on til morning
    I guess you have never had to wait for a car part huh? Guess the dealer just tried to seek you a new car rather than wait.

17. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

I went to Apple with a relative that I had gifted (hand me down) an older phone to. The crowds of people there for battery replacement were insane. As we sat there they were testing a dozen people's phones around the tables and most were testing out as good batteries but people were getting the replacement anyway (for $30 why not). At that point they were already setting the expectation of two week plus wait times for the batteries to come in stock.

18. alphaod, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2018

alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Probably wasn't much stock to begin with and with the frenzy going on, demand definitely exceeding supply. I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't want to rush their suppliers like Samsung to make exploding batteries.

19. rootee macrumors regular

rootee

Or their phones are actually slow(er).

20. jlasoon macrumors 6502

21. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

They should’ve delayed the program for all iPhones

Judging from how horrendously they’ve been handling this : can’t disclose if they have in stock or not, people drive out and are magically told no stock after waiting to be seen, and the wait continues for follow up. And the appts cease to be available in most markets in the first place

Another Tim Cook fail. Surprise surprise

This Guy is a politician clown

22. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Lots of people who don't own an iPhone 6 Plus in here getting upset. Pretty funny.

"I'M MAD THERE'S AN ISSUE WITH A PRODUCT I DON'T OWN!"

23. Tsuius macrumors regular

That's NOT cool.
    I have an iPhone 6 plus and it is terribly slow after all the updates to iOS 11.2.2.
    Waiting till March or April is unacceptable!

24. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

I think it all started when they slowed down the CEO.

25. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

This thing is quickly turning into a cluster—especially with the stories about batteries catching fire in stores. Regular people don't know what any of this really means, but remember Samsung's issue. Not the same thing—not even close—but people are still freaking out.