Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Let me get this right. You 100% made up the fact that someone illegally downloaded music. :eek: I say 100% because nothing from the disclosure in this case has even hinted at illegal downloads. Then based on something you made up, you also decide to support Apple 100%.

Totally legit.:rolleyes:

haha... good call. but now, maybe we should cut him a little slack. I suppose it's possible he could be completely unaware that other "legal" music purchase/download sites exist besides apple's! There might be a rock somewhere big enough to live under :D

Oh come on, be nice, at least I choose a nice rock to live under. To the point, I was completely aware of the other legal services and what the article about. But I choose to put a little bait, and I am not disappointed to the least.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
So what is the problem here? Users expect Apple to support music that was purchased from other stores? Why would Apple do that? Do users expect Ford parts to work on a Chevy? A fake K-cup in a coffee maker? The wrong cartridge in a printer? Lots of companies insist on using their parts and consumers accept that as reasonable - why pick on Apple? Is it because they have the deepest pockets?

Wow. You took a bad car analogy and made it worse with other bad examples.

You might be thinking, why would this guy say my car analogy is bad?
Maybe because car parts, whether from Ford or any other manufacturer, actually do work on cars manufactured by other companies. Thousands of Ford and Chevy motors are running in Toyotas, Nissans, Dodges, etc. Not only motors but other parts as well. So there's that.

Keurig only recently DRM'd their latest coffee maker (like dumb asses since the DRM was defeated in short order). Before that, you could use any K-Cup type of coffee pod you wanted to use. Buy an older model and you still can. An incorrect printer cartridge won't fit in a printer simply because of the shape. An offbrand cartridge configured for said printer will fit, run, and not void the warranty since it's illegal for a printer manufacturer to even claim it will.

Lot's of companies want you to use their products, but they can't force you.

OT: Rogifan said it best. The security director should have never even opened his mouth. That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard. Whether Apple did it intentionally or not remains to be seen. I've no dog in that fight. We didn't want to confuse you with too much information. Thanks Augustin. :rolleyes:

daftpunker909

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
Isn't this not a apple centered forum and news site? If someone wants to hate on Apple why do they feel the need to do it on Macrumors?

Simple solution. Leave #

I like Apple, but I don't like hardcore fanboys who prefer to defend the terrible practice of a company against the (rightful) demands of fellow users. Just because it's an Apple forum it doesn't mean you have to defend them at all costs. It really is not a mutual relationship as Apple wants nothing but your money.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
In the mid 2000s I never downloaded music from iTunes and never had an issue putting my songs on my iPod :confused:

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
Oh come on, be nice, at least I choose a nice rock to live under.

haha.... and i just noticed that 69Mustang's location says "between a rock and a hard place"... so i guess maybe he's living under a rock too ;)

----------

In the mid 2000s I never downloaded music from iTunes and never had an issue putting my songs on my iPod :confused:

I was thinking this too. And i never got any kind of error message telling me i should do a restore. But it's been so long now, i can't remember what all i did. I just know i would remember if my music all got deleted!

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
Apple seems so warm and fuzzy on the surface. It's why I switched a year ago from Google, who wears its evil out for all to see. It took me the better part of a year to figure out Apple is MORE EVIL than Google. They are excellent at hiding it. Evil is like that you know.

Evil ? I doubt you have any idea what the word truly means.

It's good ole American profiteering. All corporations do it.
Or do you think Coca Cola puts CFS, aspartame and other "goodies" in your yummy soda to benefit your health ? Or big pharma, or the fast food industry ? If anything, "the system" is evil.

This lawsuit is mostly about profiteering for the lawyers and their companies and less about "justice". As are the majority of litigations in the US. You don't see this type of lawsuit in countries like Norway or Switzerland.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
This is utter BS. All the years I used iPods aproximately 0% of my music came from iTunes and I never had a problem.

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
Statements like these drive me nuts. What is evil about about seeking to make a profit. If investors could not make a profit, they would not risk their money. There would be no company. We would have no products.
I go to work daily... for profit more than anything else. Am I evil? You likely have a job and go to work. To make profit. Are you evil?

Really? Someone's comment about an insignificant story that will be forgotten next week, is driving you nuts ? You might want to examine what's the root cause of such reactions.

Sure, nothing evil about making a profit! Or for companies to exist. Unfortunately, since the birth of "The Corporation" (good Canadian documentary btw) the behaviour of corporations has changed. There's a lot more predatory behaviour today and amassing of insane amounts of wealth by an increasingly smaller amount of companies and their directors. It's also not a level playing field.

There was a time before "corporations", where people made products for people.
The industrial revolution indoctrinated workers onto assembly lines to pump out mass products and we've all heard about and ridiculed how cubicle culture isn't really inducing happiness and creativity. In fact, mental illness and its effect is on the rise everywhere. It's not one or another persons comment that should be doing that.

Some of us have quit the grind and opted for an alternative lifestyle (no, I'm no tree hugger :) ) with less profits and less consumption. I for one am a lot happier than when I was grinding away with 16hrs days in Silicon Valley.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Well that's just because the leftist communist BS that is ruining everything is going full bore at Apple and is at the root of everything wrong with that company lately, and this country as well.

Communism? Perhaps people have to read the dictionary definition

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Apple seems so warm and fuzzy on the surface. It's why I switched a year ago from Google, who wears its evil out for all to see. It took me the better part of a year to figure out Apple is MORE EVIL than Google. They are excellent at hiding it. Evil is like that you know.

Because Google is so honest, why didn't they tell anyone that their datacenters were being tapped by the U.S. Gov? Look the other way? Plausible debiabliity is still honesty, right?

Edit: Never seen so many fake likes and 'fake' Apple fans on macrumors.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Hey guys, I want to wear my tinfoil hat but I'm afraid that it might contain spying equipment, and the government probably also has full control over the national tinfoil reserves.

What should I do? Is there a garden-grown alternative?

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Because Google is so honest, why didn't they tell anyone that their datacenters were being tapped by the U.S. Gov? Look the other way? Plausible debiabliity is still honesty, right?

Edit: Never seen so many fake likes and 'fake' Apple fans on macrumors.
Perhaps because they didn't knew?

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
As far as I understand the law in the US actually forbids companies to tell anyone about these wiretappings. That's why they are likely to happen in Apple's datacenters too without Apple being able to talk about it.

It's also why Apple's push of products with built-in end-to-end encryption is a good thing.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I just can't wait to pay 16 bucks for slow wifi on my next flight just so I can listen to music.

----------

Or PRSI

All you need to do is hit that offline playlist mode (Spotify) and you'll have your tracks downloaded to your device :)

----------

I'd rather pay once for what I want and keep what I just paid for forever. And do so offline.

Spotify has an offline mode. And hey, if you listen to your songs over and over again then you're all set.

----------

I won't stream. I am not going to pay $120 for a year and have nothing to show for if I stop paying. If I stop buying music from iTunes for a few months, I still have access to my library.

That's true. It's the same with leasing a car though too. It's not for everyone, but if you always want to get the latest music, you can do so and have unlimited access so long as you keep paying a minimum per month. For me, it's cheaper to stream music than to purchase every track I like.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
It is obviously possible that badly written software that moves music to an iPod might damage things. Worst case, it might make the iPod incapable of playing any music. So what is Apple supposed to do?

I'm concerned that all the software I use is badly written.

If only Apple would delete it all for me.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013

Evil?

Evil is not removing songs from an iPod.

There are far more sickening things going on in our world than that.

Last edited:

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012
my entire library consists of, maybe, 2% of actual purchased music from iTunes. I've owned multiple iPods since 2001 and every iPhone and never has any of my non-iTunes obtained music been deleted, disappeared or did I ever have to restore or reset to factory settings.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
No! Not like with the patent thing. Please don't post every update, I don't care. Just make a sticky on the top of the front page or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.