Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
1. Shame on Apple for doing this if it is true.

2. Why does it take THIS long for someone to throw a fit about an issues ?

It's not taken this long the lawsuit is from 2005 and is just now getting to trial it's spent 10 years winding it's way through the justice system.

Under a rock? I wish. I live with 3 women (wife and two daughters). That is definitely between a rock and a hard place. :D

/wife reads quote over shoulder

/smacks back of head:eek:

I feel that except I only have one daughter, but I add a mother-in-law to the mix :eek:

copykris

Suspended
Sep 25, 2009
home
Online streaming is good for people like me who have a wife that requests christmas music while we do the tree stuff. I don't have a ****ing christmas music, nor do i want any. Stream away!

put this on your list:

0886975732326.jpg

sorted!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Google does not sell personal information to advertisers. That would be stupid and destroy their revenue source.

Instead, they sell anonymously targeted ad slots... just like Apple does with iAds.

Except that Google does this on a scale that is 100 times bigger, and Googles business entirely relies on selling ads, and therefore Google absolutely cannot be trusted with any private data, because my personal information is what allows Google to make money.

----------

You are correct, the title is misleading... That said, this statement from Apple is utter crap : "Farrugia also said the company's efforts to delete music acquired from third-party sources was done in an effort to protect consumers from hackers and malicious content"

What are the bets that this is not what Farrugia said, but how someone interpreted what he said?

----------

IF I recall correctly, Samsung tried spoofing the iPod USB ID in an effort to connect iTunes to its own iPod clone. Apple might have had to do for your protection. Or maybe not.

That wasn't Samsung, that was - forgot their name, HP bought them out then closed them down later. They were run by some ex-Apple employee, could be Rubinstein?

Every USB device has a built-in ID that identifies the manufacturer and the model. I'd say that if iTunes detects a USB device that identifies itself as an iPod made by Apple, but it also detects that this device is _not_ an iPod, then you would suspect that there is some nefarious purpose where someone tries to hack into your computer and it is 100% correct to shut that device off. You wouldn't want until the news comes out of hackers breaking into Macs using faked iPods.

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
Title: Apple Deleted iPod Owners' Songs Downloaded From Competing Music Services Between 2007 and 2009

Corrected Title: iPod Owners' Songs Downloaded From Competing Music Services Between 2007 and 2009 Didn't Sync to Their iPods

Durrr! It's click bait how else do MR make money from you!

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
GUISE,

This is NOT about Apple deleting music that you didn't get from iTunes. Like music you ripped from a CD or music you downloaded from Napster or Bittorrent or whatever.

This is about Real Networks (of RealPlayer fame) reverse-engineering FairPlay (Apple's DRM scheme) and applying it to music they sold you. That made the music look as if it came from the iTMS, enough that the iPod could play it while still being encrypted with DRM which Real was required to do back then. (Normally, iPods could only play DRM-encrypted files from the iTMS).

*That* is what rubbed Apple the wrong way. Not that you got your music from some other source than Apple's iTMS. iTunes started out *without* the store, remember? (In fact, iTunes started its life as a product called SoundJam.)

Google 'fairplay harmony' for some more info.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Statements like these drive me nuts. What is evil about about seeking to make a profit. If investors could not make a profit, they would not risk their money. There would be no company. We would have no products.
I go to work daily... for profit more than anything else. Am I evil? You likely have a job and go to work. To make profit. Are you evil?

Personally it really should be about HOW a company makes their profit. I'm not a fan of "It's just business" type of thinking as that tends to mean someone is being an *******. Honestly making a profit is fine. Being greedy to the point it has a negative impact on people is not so good.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If this lawsuit is successful what's to stop someone from suing Apple because they can't install whatever they want on their iOS device (without jailbreaking) and have to go through the App Store?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Sneaky. Was this noticed at the time? I had no idea this was occurring and I've downloaded music from near enough everywhere.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
The WSJ article makes it sound like a bogus 'error' was generated when iTunes detected 'foreign' songs, caused users to rest their iPods, and then deleted foreign songs during the reset. If the story is true, that is the kind of crap corporate behaviour that rapidly loses people's trust. (Anybody else getting sick of the boogie-man hacker/terrorist being used as an excuse to limit our freedom and privacy when we use digital devices?)

If this story is not true, why hasn't Apple corrected the misinformation?

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
the typical "Apple can do no wrong" attitude from a selective few makes me chuckle a little.

I'm starting to see why some view Apple fanboys as somewhat a cult. :)

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
If the uPod were truly corrupted by side-loading music files then I could see a very valid reason for restoring the entire device. This would of course load the music again from iTunes but not the side-loaded music.

So did Harmony actually corrupt iPods? If not, this is a problem.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
GUISE,

This is NOT about Apple deleting music that you didn't get from iTunes. Like music you ripped from a CD or music you downloaded from Napster or Bittorrent or whatever.

This is about Real Networks (of RealPlayer fame) reverse-engineering FairPlay (Apple's DRM scheme) and applying it to music they sold you. That made the music look as if it came from the iTMS, enough that the iPod could play it while still being encrypted with DRM which Real was required to do back then. (Normally, iPods could only play DRM-encrypted files from the iTMS).

*That* is what rubbed Apple the wrong way. Not that you got your music from some other source than Apple's iTMS. iTunes started out *without* the store, remember? (In fact, iTunes started its life as a product called SoundJam.)

Google 'fairplay harmony' for some more info.

yeah, my iwhatever had music on it from amazon and emusic and it played and sync'd just fine

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
I don't understand. I had the original iPod (10GB version), the black iPod with video (60GB version) and a couple iPod Shuffles. In all cases, the majority of my MP3s were *not* purchased from iTunes. In NOT ONE iPod did my music suddenly vanish. It sounds more like "user error" (and/or having the iPod set to autosync with iTunes) than an evil Apple conspiracy, which everyone looking for a handout today will suggest.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I don't know what's worse.
What they did or their awful comeback:

classy

Glassed Silver:mac

While I don't necessarily disagree, I'll throw this angle out there - is it so bad that a company wants to protect its devices from possible malware etc.. so that the user experience is fantastic? ie. let's just say, hypothetically of course, that x user dloaded songs from a competitor and for whatever reason, there was a problem.

Would X user be smart enough to realize it was the file or would they blame the iPod? If it's the latter, would they then complain to other people on social media or person to person thus creating negative publicity about the iPod? ie. my iPod is crap b/c it won't play this song!

I may be stretching, but given the ridiculous possibilities of social media over amplification these days, I don't think it's that far out of the realm.

Apple are control freaks. We all know. Steve wanted the user experience to be perfect and he felt Apple knew how to make that work.

Regarding the actual lawsuit, I don't blame them one bit for wanting to protect something they were creating. I run a business, albeit a small one and if I came up with a service or idea which was going to put money in my bank for food on my table (much like having to report to a board of directors and keeping my shareholders happy), I'd do what I could to protect it.

Cheers,
Keebler

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
That's true. It's the same with leasing a car though too. It's not for everyone, but if you always want to get the latest music, you can do so and have unlimited access so long as you keep paying a minimum per month. For me, it's cheaper to stream music than to purchase every track I like.

And leasing a car is an even dumber financial move than leasing your music. At least with music, you're only out about a hundred dollars a year with nothing to show for it.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
So is Apple being accused of preventing DRM music from other sources from being played in iTunes or from being synced to the iPod (but still playable in iTunes)?

What is all this requirement to restore the iPod about? When you try and sync an iPod with iTunes that has DRM music from elsewhere or when someone tried to use 3rd party software to get DRM music from elsewhere onto an iPod?

This article is so vague..

InsoftUK

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2014
If Apple found guilty then Sony is in for it as well, with their tactics with Homebrew, and then Microsoft will be next, hoe far do you go.

Let's be sensible and look what happened, Apple restore the iPod as that is the easiest and simpler option for a user to understand, they restore and any music from the competitors is placed back onto the iPod via iTunes so everything is checked and safe. What the competitors did was to bypass the security to place songs on the iPod with their own software and who knows what state the iPod is in and what issue it had now that it has been hijacted and so Apple did the best thing, restore and make sure every song is safely placed back onto the iPod

These third party's did a bad thing, forcing DRM onto the customer by offering no MP3 or CD creating means so you had to use their software to place contents on a iPod by means of hacking it, at least with iTunes you can take your music to other third parts with no hacking.

mikef07

Suspended
Aug 8, 2007
Kind of a misleading title... its not like Apple went in and deleted those specific songs without the owner knowing (essentially like hacking). The iPod was restored, which coincidentally erases the entire contents of the iPod.

Except a company rep confirmed that they did indeed delete music to protect consumers so...

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
This entire lawsuit is ridiculous. If Apple doesn't want to support music purchased from other sources, it shouldn't have to. Can I bring suit against Sony because I can't play my Xbox games on Playstation? I think Sony is trying to form a monopoly on the video game market by not accepting formats purchased through other developers.

mikef07

Suspended
Aug 8, 2007
This is utter BS. All the years I used iPods aproximately 0% of my music came from iTunes and I never had a problem.

Ahh yes. Because something did not happen to you it could not have occurred. My house has never been robbed. It is BS if anyone ever says they have been robbed. In the end a court will not allow you to just make up stuff. If the plaintiff's lawyers say this happened they have to prove that it did indeed happen and that it was not an aberration, but a common practice that occurred.

----------

This entire lawsuit is ridiculous. If Apple doesn't want to support music purchased from other sources, it shouldn't have to. Can I bring suit against Sony because I can't play my Xbox games on Playstation? I think Sony is trying to form a monopoly on the video game market by not accepting formats purchased through other developers.

You could if you updated your PS4 and it erased your Xbox games in doing so.

leroypants

Suspended
Jul 17, 2010
Good thing iPods are pretty much dead now. Online music streaming is where it's at.

Online streaming is awesome, except for when i go over my data cap ever single month.

Online streaming is awesome, except for when take long flights a few times a month.

Online streaming is awesome, except for when i have a bad cell signal and i can't actually stream anything.

----------

isn't this not a apple centered forum and news site? If someone wants to hate on apple why do they feel the need to do it on macrumors?

Simple solution. Leave #

must....not....question....apple....ever...must....not...ever...say...a...bad...word...about...apple.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
Ahh yes. Because something did not happen to you it could not have occurred. My house has never been robbed. It is BS if anyone ever says they have been robbed. In the end a court will not allow you to just make up stuff. If the plaintiff's lawyers say this happened they have to prove that it did indeed happen and that it was not an aberration, but a common practice that occurred.

----------

You could if you updated your PS4 and it erased your Xbox games in doing so.

Except, how can they prove this happened? Are they going to go back in time, grab an old iPod and the same music files that they used and then stage the demonstration? Or, are they simply going to load up a current iPod with music from iTunes and Amazon and then reset the device, showing that all music has been deleted? In which case, that proves what exactly?

mikef07

Suspended
Aug 8, 2007
Except, how can they prove this happened? Are they going to go back in time, grab an old iPod and the same music files that they used and then stage the demonstration? Or, are they simply going to load up a current iPod with music from iTunes and Amazon and then reset the device, showing that all music has been deleted? In which case, that proves what exactly?

Rad my post two posts up

"In the end a court will not allow you to just make up stuff. If the plaintiff's lawyers say this happened they have to prove that it did indeed happen and that it was not an aberration, but a common practice that occurred."

I don't think people realize how court works. You don't just throw stuff at a wall. You claim something happens you have to be able to provide some type of proof.

SirCheese

Suspended
Sep 30, 2014
Fort Myers, Florida
iTunes content is licensed, not sold. Same with other services. Each user agreed to the license conditions.

Apple also had documentation on how to REMOVE the DRM from its music, how to rip from CD's, and more. If others are upset over licensing music from other services that did not allow the content's DRM to be removed, that's not Apple's fault.
What does any of this have to do with Apple deleting music that was purchased not from them? This alone should be a huge no-no.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.