Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Denies Reports of Mac Pros Emitting Toxic Fumes

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Earlier this week, a report posted to a French newspaper claimed that and odor being emitted by some Mac Pros could actually be toxic fumes.
A scientist quoted in the article says the odor contains several toxins, including benzene. Prolonged exposure to benzene raises the risk for diseases, including cancer.
An Apple spokesperson spoke to Macworld and stated that they have not found any evidence to prove this claim, but states they will continue to investigate it.

A strange startup odor has been noted by some Mac Pro owners on Apple's discussion forums.

Article Link

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
....one reporter in france.

Apple says they havent found evidence, BUT are still looking further into it.

I've looked and i really cant find any more sources for this claim, but its not like apple is just saying FU its fine.

Comment

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
Yeah, this is strange. Hope there really is not a problem.

Now a Mac is a lot like your car!

Try smelling the air coming out of the tailpipe of your car and let me know how it smells... It just might be toxic... Maybe.

Comment

celavato

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2005
A strange startup odor has been noted by some Mac Pro owners on Apple's discussion forums.[/url]

That thread ended in December 2007 so I hope this issue applies only to the previous generation. We have two 2008 Mac Pros with a third en route. No smell as far as I can tell.

Comment

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
There is always somebody trying to find something bad about some product so that they can sue.

A Mac Pro without any failed parts will not release any fumes.

Quite frankly, if some french moron is continuing to use a computer that has a toxic smell coming from it, then that person probably needs more fumes. Personally, if I smell fumes coming from a computer.... I turn it off.

Comment

MacTheSpoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
I think all computers release electronic-ish smells.

The only thing really making my Mac smell is the odor from this story.

Comment

TCM333

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
has anyone taken apart a mac pro, rolled it and then smoked it... The Toxic fumes are awesome... they made me much snappier

Comment

flir67

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2005
cheap thermal compound possibly? coming from pc modding crowd years ago, I guess its possibly today.

maybe its time for some artic silver thermal compound. not pushing any product but that stuff works....

if anyone is up to doing it yourself here's the link

http://www.arcticsilver.com/

but what ever you do, if it smells bad coming from a computer that can't be good, get some fresh air going into that room

Comment

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
So, Macs are not as "green" as Apple wants people to believe they are?

you and i both know that apple promised to go more green by the END of this year. There hasnt been any change in the macpro as far as im aware of.

Comment

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
There hasnt been any change in the macpro as far as im aware of.

So, then the Mac Pro should be updated before the end of this year then if Apple fulfils their promise of "environmental green products".
The Mac Pro can be a lot "greener".

Comment

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
So, then the Mac Pro should be updated before the end of this year then if Apple fulfils their promise of "environmental green products".
The Mac Pro can be a lot "greener".

id actually expect it just a little late, say macworld?

Comment

Wayne s

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
UK
We in the Western world are big on recycling, you know the stuff, paper,wood, glass and PLASTIC...much of the plastic is contaminated with things such as paint and oil, ie paint tubs and oil bottles. The list of plastic "receptacles" is endless.

Much of this plastic waste is shipped from all over the world into Asia, where it is then recycled. What's it recycled into?

Toys, for your kids.
PC's
iMac's
Anything and everything, who cares its cheap.

I remember about 25 years ago and toys where die-cast, metal, they would last for years.

Then came plastic toys, if they broke you could by this wonder glue, or super glue and fix them. You try using super glue on some of the cheap plastic toys you get now days and they melt.

Comment

dzhiurgis

macrumors member
May 29, 2007
That's called marijuana people! Where do you think these fractals are coming from? Apple goes greeen.

"Yes it blends. iSmoke. Don't breathe this."

Comment

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
This has nothing to do with the computer being more or less 'green'. It's a computer. It has electronics inside of it, which have a smell. Go to FutureShop and stick your face inside a newer display PC, and you will smell *gasp* electronics!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.