Apple Design Chief Jony Ive: iPhone X Will 'Change and Evolve' Over Time

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 9, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple design chief Jony Ive recently sat down for an interview with design, architecture, and fashion magazine Wallpaper* to discuss Apple Park, Apple's newest campus in Cupertino, California which he had a hand in designing, and the iPhone X, Apple's newest device.

The iPhone X, Ive says, was designed to serve as a vessel for software, with a design that melds into the background. Apple's design team has always aimed to "get design out of the way." "We try to define a solution that seems so inevitable that it does recede," he said. In the future, Ive believes the iPhone X will offer capabilities it doesn't have now because software is always evolving, something he finds intriguing and fascinating.

[​IMG]
    Ive declined to comment on Apple's future product plans, but he said his design group is "absurdly curious and constantly looking for alternatives." Some ideas are "beyond the technology" at the moment, but exist to "galvanise the development of technology." Reflecting on the past, Ive says that looking back on the past 25 years, what Apple has learned is more important and precious than what's been designed.
    Ive is described as "giddily excited" about the new campus and its enormous ring-shaped main building and the potential it has to change the way Apple employees work by bringing them together. Design studios that are currently physically disconnected will be able to come together, so industrial designers can work with font designers, sound designers, motion graphics experts, and so on.

Ive says Apple Park has been designed to be inherently flexible and reconfigurable, with Apple able to "very quickly" create large open spaces or lots of smaller private offices. "The building will change and evolve," says Ive. "I'm sure in 20 years' time we will be designing and developing very different products, and just that alone will drive the campus to evolve and change."

[​IMG]
    Wallpaper*'s latest cover, designed by Ive​

There were rumors suggesting some Apple Park employees were dissatisfied with the open office design at Apple Park, so much so that Apple vice president of hardware technologies Johny Srouji insisted his team work at a different location, but the Wallpaper* piece mentions several times that office space within the main building is configurable, with teams able to choose individual offices or open spaces.

Apple will, however, maintain its culture of secrecy. "The way that we work is quietly," said Ive. "We are conspicuously different in that and it is an important part of who we are."

Ive's full interview with Wallpaper* is well worth reading and offers further discussion about the Apple Park campus and the attention to detail that went into its design. It also looks further at the various elements of Apple Park, including the Steve Jobs theater, the landscaping, and the configuration of the building.

Article Link: Apple Design Chief Jony Ive: iPhone X Will 'Change and Evolve' Over Time

2. brian3uk macrumors regular

"Get design out of the way" says the notch as it juts into your photos and videos.

3. NOV macrumors 6502

NOV

I already imagine iPhone XI presentation: we managed to make the Notch 0,2mm smaller compared to the X model.

4. scrapesleon macrumors regular

scrapesleon

so the era of phones is over its down to software updates the AR glasses will be its successor

5. dmx macrumors 6502a

6. naturalstar macrumors 6502

The iPhone X, Ive says, was designed to serve as a vessel for software, with a design that melds into the background. Apple's design team has always aimed to "get design out of the way." "We try to define a solution that seems so inevitable that it does recede," he said.

So a receding hairline actually was the inspiration for the notch!

7. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

8. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

This won't stop the Notch haters on Macrumors about complaining about It. Even though it's not the most aesthetically pleasing, the technology behind it is incredible. And it has a lot of potential in the future and how it will expand from here.

9. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

10. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

Wallpaper - I imagine a magazine read by many on this forum :D

11. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I chuckle at the caption that he "designed" the magazine cover.

12. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Won’t minimizing the notch over time create more problems with screen shape fragmentation in the App Store?

13. camnchar macrumors 6502

camnchar

Headline should have been JONY IVE EASILY ENTERTAINED

14. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

iPhone X will "change and evolve" over time with the addition of 2 new Animojis, a breakthrough Animoji Karaoke app, and a redesigned Apple Notch™ 2.0

15. -BigMac- macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

Hahahaha!! Apples design doesnt meld into the background!!! The notch is proof of that. If they wanted a vessel for software, they would have gone for a screen design similar to Samsungs S8.

Thanks for the laughter Ivosss!!!

16. DhobiWanKenobi macrumors member

DhobiWanKenobi

I just want the numbering to stop. Let’s leave it at iPhone X, and update the model every year. Much like your MacBook or your iPad.

17. rpat701 macrumors member

18. madKIR macrumors 6502

oh, those iPhone 8 owners = haters LOL
    I don't even see that notch at all on my iPhone X. Keep telling that to yourself while enjoying your 2014 bezels haha

19. busuan macrumors newbie

Rushed to read hatred and bigotry. Not disappointed.

20. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The Numbering is not going to stop for the iPhone. The numbering for the iPhone is crucial, its a reminder there is an annual cadence of iPhone releases. When Apple sells new phones, they have to have a way of showing the other iPhones aging in the line up.

21. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502

BaltimoreMediaBlog

This is code words for "HO HO HO! We're working feverishly to get Touch ID under the screen!" :D

22. 1Mac7 macrumors newbie

1Mac7

23. CristianM macrumors member

CristianM

I got my 6S, you know what else I’m enjoying? An extra £1k in my pocket. You know what I’m missing? A slightly nicer display and some animated emojis I’ll never use. Sounds good to me.

24. Shark5150 macrumors 6502a

Shark5150

This guy always speaks in riddles. Frustrates me. Tons of fancy words giving the casual reader any substance or direction.

25. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

How Many times does this need to be debunked? Apple is not going to implement touch ID under the display, as Face ID is clearly their future.