Apple Design Chief Jony Ive to Speak at WIRED's 25th Anniversary Event in October

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Apple's never going to change till this clown and the current ringmaster as gone.

Not saying their products are bad, but there is no imagination anymore.
These people lack it.

I hope I'm around to see them go, fresh new blood come in and change things around.
Trouble is, I'm afraid new blood will never be allowed to do that as they will be molded into emotionless creatures before being given the helm in the future.

Oh how I wish for an exciting Apple.

TimmeyCook

Suspended
Jun 20, 2018
Of course. Apple continues to make record profits despite consistent negative feedback of their products.
Feedback by whom?

People that were not going to buy anything like Apple is offering! People stuck in the Apple-hating bubble.

Ive and Co. are so deep into their ego and severely out of touch with reality. They didn't understand the pro market's needs when they redesigned the MacBook Pro, they completely misread the market for the Mac Pro, the HomePod is not performing the way they anticipated, and they've completely backtracked on the Apple Watch being a high-end, fashion accessory. They clearly have no idea what to do with the Mac mini, and it makes zero sense that they're offering a MacBook Air, a MacBook and a MacBook Pro, or an iPhone SE, a 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus and X, each with completely inconsistent interactivity.
That's why Apple completly owns the smartphone industry, the laptop industry, and the wearables industry in REVENUE AND PROFIT.

Meanwhile, Microsoft has simplified their offerings with quality hardware that receives glowing reviews, and has focused on innovating within the professional community.
Ahahahahahah!

The Microsoft Surface line is the worst in terms of reliability according to ConsumerReports, they are ugly, they don't sell and people that bought them feel the buyers' remorse.

Frank Dalton

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2015
Oklahoma Territory
Negative feedback only from the few here and elsewhere on forums, they have record sales every year so that says something.
The irony is almost too rich to handle. In the mid-1990s I had protracted debates with people who swore that Microsoft’s record sales numbers were to be taken as proof-positive that Windows was the bee’s knees of operating systems.

That logic didn’t hold water then and it doesn’t now. You can have a great product that sells in record numbers or less than stellar numbers, just as you can have something like Windows 95 sell in record numbers.

Sales numbers may correlate with product quality but one does not necessarily have to be caused by the other.
[doublepost=1532636591][/doublepost]And lest anyone think I hate everything Jony Ive does these days, that’s not quite true. I love his iPhone hardware work, with the exception of that ridiculous notch crap on the X. But what I have come to detest is his incursion into software design. He needs to stay the hell out of that. I also strongly dislike his attempts to iPhonize the Mac.

EdT

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
someone ask him why iMacs have to be thinner
Just to inflame the situation I think that someone needs to INSIST that iMacs do need to be thinner.

No, I don’t really think iMacs need to be any thinner.
[doublepost=1532637713][/doublepost]
They need to go on drug rehab at Apple with the terrible design decisions of late.
“with the terrible decisions of late”.

Your sentence had 1 word too many.

TimmeyCook

Suspended
Jun 20, 2018
The irony is almost too rich to handle. In the mid-1990s I had protracted debates with people who swore that Microsoft’s record sales numbers were to be taken as proof-positive that Windows was the bee’s knees of operating systems.
Last time I check, Windows is still that.

Apple didn't win then, Apple isn't winning now. Sure I prefer myself macOS, and I think that macOS is better, but Windows sells more by being "just good enough" to run Chrome and MS Office and DirectX games.

The only thing that happened was that Apple grew bigger by selling iPods and now iPhones.

Reactions: jjhny and arkitect

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Of course. Apple continues to make record profits despite consistent negative feedback of their products.

Ive and Co. are so deep into their ego and severely out of touch with reality. They didn't understand the pro market's needs when they redesigned the MacBook Pro, they completely misread the market for the Mac Pro, the HomePod is not performing the way they anticipated, and they've completely backtracked on the Apple Watch being a high-end, fashion accessory. They clearly have no idea what to do with the Mac mini, and it makes zero sense that they're offering a MacBook Air, a MacBook and a MacBook Pro, or an iPhone SE, a 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus and X, each with completely inconsistent interactivity.

Meanwhile, Microsoft has simplified their offerings with quality hardware that receives glowing reviews, and has focused on innovating within the professional community.

Apple really needs fresh blood who has lived in the reality and understands how people truly use their products.
I think it is you who needs to get out of the echo chamber that is macrumors and see how people are really using their devices. They wouldn't continue to sell in record numbers if they received "consistent negative feedback". This pro market you speak of is very small in the grand scheme of things. They offer different lines of MacBooks and iPhones because they need to have more than one $1700 computer and one $1000 phone. It is year one of face ID and that redesign, obviously there is going to be some fragmentation between older versions and new.

How did they completely misread the market for the Mac Pro? The new one hasn't even been released yet...
I doubt they imagined HomePod would be a runaway success right away.
They pivoted on Apple Watch to meet what the market demanded.

Reactions: artfossil

thepixelpusher

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2015
Dimension C-137
He doesn’t necessarily have to be fired, just demoted and made to report to someone who will tell him “no” when he trotts out a piece of self-indulgent stupidity.

Though I suspect the above would cause him to choose resignation, which is fine, too.
Someone tell him his form over function is killing the Apple lineup! Or do the press and attendees just kiss his ass everytime he shows his face!

Last edited:

Frank Dalton

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2015
Oklahoma Territory
Last time I check, Windows is still that.

Apple didn't win then, Apple isn't winning now. Sure I prefer myself macOS, and I think that macOS is better, but Windows sells more by being "just good enough" to run Chrome and MS Office and DirectX games.

The only thing that happened was that Apple grew bigger by selling iPods and now iPhones.
This doesn’t in any way address the point I was making.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Yeah sure...

Jony Ive and the team he manages is the most successful industrial design studio in the world.

With their products, everyday products, being represented in the very best museums of the world.

Notwithstanding copied and emulated by multi-billion dollar companies like Google and Samsung.

But this is MacRumors, excellent designers and CEO's we have here...
Yep.
Steve saw him as the man to lead the design team. Right there is enough reason to believe on the guy.
Yes, he deserves criticisms here and there but his body of work is pretty impressive. I think most of Apple's issues (pro users lack of support) do not come out Jony but the overall direction of the company.

thepixelpusher

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2015
Dimension C-137
Negative feedback only from the few here and elsewhere on forums, they have record sales every year so that says something.
No it says nothing! Apple is a bit like parents taking care of their favorite popular child that gets the best grades and letting the other children starve and die. Not cultivating their other children's life to grow, develop and flourish, but die!! Does that make sense?? Look, I was there from the start of Apple, maybe you weren't. I see them declining in innovation and milking their successes to death, to the detriment of their other product lines. My problem is I use those other product lines for my business, so it affects me by staying under MacOS. Even if you are a millennial, surely you've seen that gaming has totally left the Mac for the WinPC OS!!! Unacceptable, especially since we have VR and AR coming into existence that needs beefy hardware. How can you not see that Apple isn't using their money/success in those popular lines to support their other less popular lines like laptops and desktops!!?? Apple is iPhone and iPads all the time!

Last edited: