Apple Design Chief Jony Ive to Speak at WIRED's 25th Anniversary Event in October

thepixelpusher

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2015
Dimension C-137
Perhaps you need to review this Fiscal 2017 revenue pie chart and remind me why they should focus more on the Mac: https://g.foolcdn.com/editorial/images/466825/apple-stock-segment-revenue_large.png

I tried looking for gross profit margin by product details but could not readily find it. However, I suspect that the Mac line is not any more profitable in terms of margin than other product lines. To be fair, Apple only needs to be good enough in the desktop space to make not breaking the ecosystem of the phone, tablet, AppleTV etc. a consideration when deciding on what to purchase for those few that are still buying bulkier hardware. Sure, they could put some of their mountain of cash to work to move those offerings forward but at the end of the day what is going to be the ROI? Even Microsoft is getting a third or less of their revenue from PCs. The fact is simple, from a financials perspective your thoughts are outdated.
You're not reading my posts! The app store market spreadsheet at one time was miniscule and a meager market, but Jobs had the vision and innovation to develop and nurture it towards greatness. That approach is lacking at Apple. And who is to say laptops and desktops cannot be innovated to grandeur?

Reactions: Doc Evils

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
Problem is, he’s a like a prima donna gone off the rails now that the orchestra conductor is no longer around.
I could not agree more.

I have reached a point that I personally will not buy a Mac again after 15 years of owning Mac's. I blame this guy more than anyone for "form over function" Mac's we have today. I seriously regret buying my 2017 15inch Macbook Pro I got last November. The 2018 Macbooks are worse IMHO. Cost continues to go up and logical features just keep getting stripped away, and we get lame features like the touchbar??

PickUrPoison

macrumors 601
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
You're not reading my posts! The app store market spreadsheet at one time was miniscule and a meager market, but Jobs had the vision and innovation to develop and nurture it towards greatness. That approach is lacking at Apple. And who is to say laptops and desktops cannot be innovated to grandeur?
The new Mac Pro will be out sometime in the next 6-18 months. I’m not sure it will be innovated to grandeur, however. But I do think it will reflect what Apple thinks the Mac Pro should be.

iMac update is expected shortly, and there’s even a Mac mini update expected. A design change isn’t expected for iMac afaik, and who knows if we’ll see any new handiwork from Mr. Ive with the refreshed Mac mini, should there actually be an update; the rumor is CPU updates so it might be in the current enclosure. Of course, you might not appreciate Apple’s efforts on these platforms either.

The VR hardware will be released when Apple can bring their vision to reality, and I’m sure Ive’s design prowess will be in evidence. But you will continue to hear very little about it, probably right up until release day.

DaveP

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
"In 1993, WIRED made a bold prediction--that technology would radically change our world."

Actually that's about the least bold, most obvious prediction ever.

thepixelpusher

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2015
Dimension C-137
The new Mac Pro will be out sometime in the next 6-18 months. I’m not sure it will be innovated to grandeur, however. But I do think it will reflect what Apple thinks the Mac Pro should be.

iMac update is expected shortly, and there’s even a Mac mini update expected. A design change isn’t expected for iMac afaik, and who knows if we’ll see any new handiwork from Mr. Ive with the refreshed Mac mini, should there actually be an update; the rumor is CPU updates so it might be in the current enclosure. Of course, you might not appreciate Apple’s efforts on these platforms either.

The VR hardware will be released when Apple can bring their vision to reality, and I’m sure Ive’s design prowess will be in evidence. But you will continue to hear very little about it, probably right up until release day.
I've been a strong supporter of Apple right up until they no longer supported their Pro content creators and let that market slide to competitor WinOS. I want to stay on MacOS, but to stay competitive I may not be able to be and that saddens me. I want to support Apple, but they walked away from me first and I will not walk over that cliff with them.

Reactions: Elgaard

PickUrPoison

macrumors 601
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I've been a strong supporter of Apple right up until they no longer supported their Pro content creators and let that market slide to competitor WinOS. I want to stay on MacOS, but to stay competitive I may not be able to be and that saddens me. I want to support Apple, but they walked away from me first and I will not walk over that cliff with them.
For some, they find their users are more satisfied and productive with Macs. Others find the PC to be a better platform. It’s rarely a function of hardware cost, which any difference is typically a fraction of a billable hour monthly, over the machines usable life. It’s mostly about which platform runs the software that’s most optimal for the workflow, and that varies depending on the tasks to be performed.

You need to use the platform that best meets your requirements. If that’s not Mac, it’s not. No one expects you to continue using a platform that can’t meet your needs. Don’t take it personally, it’s business. On your part, and Apple’s.

Last edited:

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Do you really think Steve just let him do as he pleases to the point of firing anyone who argued with him about his design choices (see Scott Forstall, another man Steve relied upon)? Because that’s what’s happening under Tim Cook.
When did I said that? lol
In any moment I said whatever Jony did was the final say or gospel. Read it again. smh

loby

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Honestly, no one knew what was going to happen.

The lighting and sound system glitched-out just before midnight at a celebration I was at, and the crowd started cheering.
No, some knew. It was all hype. Some things did have problems, but not the armagendon everyone "wished" for. Made for my job as a "fix" it at the time. Good old days when technology was in discovery mode, now...fashion design...

thepixelpusher

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2015
Dimension C-137
For some, they find their users are more satisfied and productive with Macs. Others find the PC to be a better platform. It’s rarely a function of hardware cost, which any difference is typically a fraction of a billable hour monthly, over the machines usable life. It’s mostly about which platform runs the software that’s most optimal for the workflow, and that varies depending on the tasks to be performed.

You need to use the platform that best meets your requirements. If that’s not Mac, it’s not. No one expects you to continue using a platform that can’t meet your needs. Don’t take it personally, it’s business. On your part, and Apple’s.
Tell me what market/consumer Apple has left? Just the Jitterbug users. People that want See 'n Say mobile phone and tablets. The toy user market. not serious business users like me, that's for sure. Apple abandoned the pro market and it wasn't for lack of money or interest. That Pro market pays dearly to buy Apple's top line hardware and got snookered when Apple walked away from really developing that.
[doublepost=1532660783][/doublepost]

Maybe Apple should be watching its rear view mirror on the competition coming up on them.

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors 601
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Tell me what market/consumer Apple has left? Just the Jitterbug users. People that want See 'n Say mobile phone and tablets. The toy user market. not serious business users like me, that's for sure. Apple abandoned the pro market and it wasn't for lack of money or interest. That Pro market pays dearly to buy Apple's top line hardware and got snookered when Apple walked away from really developing that.
[doublepost=1532660783][/doublepost]

Maybe Apple should be watching its rear view mirror on the competition coming up on them.
You’re being quite ridiculous, and sound like a cross between chicken little, a doomsdayer and a lover scorned. You’re reply is completely non-responsive to my post.

Once you trot out the YouTube vids with the “crazy face” thumbnails, I take it as an indication that there’s little hope of any intelligent discussion, so I’ll bow out and leave you to your ranting.

Frank Dalton

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2015
Oklahoma Territory
When did I said that? lol
In any moment I said whatever Jony did was the final say or gospel. Read it again. smh
“Steve saw him as the man to lead the design team. Right there is enough reason to believe on the guy.”

The implication being, of course, that since Steve Jobs picked him as his top design guy, we should de facto “believe in” him. My response to that implication is that while he was Steve’s lead designer, Steve certainly did *not* give him free reign.

But he has free reign now. Hence why we shouldn’t “believe in” him.

thepixelpusher

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2015
Dimension C-137
You’re being quite ridiculous, and sound like a cross between chicken little, a doomsdayer and a lover scorned. You’re reply is completely non-responsive to my post.

Once you trot out the YouTube vids with the “crazy face” thumbnails, I take it as an indication that there’s little hope of any intelligent discussion, so I’ll bow out and leave you to your ranting.
Thought so, you cannot refute the bad moves Apple made so you turn tail and run. Just like Apple ran from supporting it's Pro users.

loby

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Obviously, you aren't a business person or run a business. Apple has the money/resources to develop their other lines that may not account for the largest volume of their sales, but are important to the emerging growth markets in VR and AR, education and entertainment. Apple's hardware really cannot match that running WinPC in that Apple offerings are mainly closed systems with limited capabilities/expandability and shelf life. Apple is painting themselves into a corner that will lead them to drop all other product lines other than the iPhone/iPad because that is all they feed. Apple will then be forced to develop compatibility among the iPhone/iPads and WinPC just to maintain their market after they drop their desktops and laptops.

In my business in entertainment, all the pro users have migrated to Windows that do 3D and filmmaking, because robust and more powerful 3D hardware is plentiful for WinOS and editing with Premiere is far better optimized under WinOS too. I'm at a tipping point where I have to decide to stay on MacOS or move on myself due to Apple's dropping the ball on power users. Apple's products will devolve to little more than viewing screens to the content created on the WinOS platform.
Maybe in regards to the high end film and production, which really is a "little" segment in comparison to the mass that do amateur video to light pro level (like youtube), but overall there is no reason to drop their Mac line-up.

Apple knows that the defined "Pro" market (as you say) is really small in comparison in return on investment to profit ratio to the mid-user range segment (not worth it to them now). Any business will give that small segment to the Windows fans business' that will make cheap boxes that will overheat eventually (or become outdated) therefore producing a high turn-over rate...cannot make big profits on a small market, and Apple's agenda is now profit driven (probably for the old timer's retirement) instead of innovation first driven.

The profits are in the amateur to novice to semi pro segment and that is where Final Cut Pro X and Motion target, so it will be here to stay. Final Cut Pro X users ranged from amateur to Professional covering a larger range of users instead of focusing solely on the "Pro" market. So the Mac is here to stay and will not go away anytime soon.

Pros can still use Final Cut Pro X if they want, for their is no reason not too. It can handle what is thrown at it now, even with the Mac Pro 2013 in today's pro film demands (but not to the average user who always wants the latest and the greatest - trained by marketing to believe that the latest is always need and is the best - this keeps the wheel going around and people to buy).

But actually professional jobs are at state when the kids and non-pro's now use the same gear and software, making the once small field more competitive, reducing the high salaries due to the saturating of the field with non-pro's who can do the same stuff. Don't need degrees or high specific training now days when you can just sit at home with the same gear and software as the pros and play awhile and learn how to do what they do...Really...a threat to the current "pro" industry. Final Cut Pro X tries to make it easier to use, while the Pros are really screaming...."Don't...it will make us not needed anymore...anyone can do now what we only could do before.." eh..."Indie" producers on the rise is proof..

If you keep up with Apple (and Macrumors has had articles on this before) they had hired a large team and probably also outsourced much to other high end marketing teams that do research to tell apple what sells and what does not, also what to focus on and what not too. Data mining and Google collections, including most browsers and even your Mac (Windows boxes 100%), collect, give data to find out what you do, what apps you use, and what you create.

It is scary now in that marketing companies will even know when you take a dump or leak, or grab a cup of coffee. I worked in marketing and the data that they have and collect (and is for sale to the highest payer) is crazy and that is how they make decisions now and not by "what if". No "hunches" like Steve use to do, but now collect and know the behavior of the user, and sell to that. Even their bad behaviors and addictions come in to their equation...just to make a "buck"...unfortunately.

I say all of that because Apple knows through their marketing sources and their data collecting, that most users fall in the mid-range of usage, this includes Content Creators and the "Pro" etc. So...they will focus on what the users will buy as far as what will sell, and not on the small segment that will buy occasionally, like the "Pro" market. This is probably why the higher end upgrades to the macs are so expensive...so the Pros or business that have the resources, will pay for the higher grade stuff that most don't need, but will buy anyway...because they are conditioned and trained by marketing that "more" is better...not "What is needed to do the work, and buy to that". So...therefore Apple then can cater to all. Very smart.

As long as people still like iPhones and the Mac...it is not going anywhere.

PickUrPoison

macrumors 601
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Thought so, you cannot refute the bad moves Apple made so you turn tail and run. Just like Apple ran from supporting it's Pro users.
I’m not here to refute or defend anything. But you’d rather rant than have an intelligent discussion. That’s cool for you, but it’s not something that interests me.

Like I said, choose the platform that best meets your requirements. If that’s not Mac, it’s not.

mikethemartian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL
Yeah sure...

Jony Ive and the team he manages is the most successful industrial design studio in the world.

With their products, everyday products, being represented in the very best museums of the world.

Notwithstanding copied and emulated by multi-billion dollar companies like Google and Samsung.

But this is MacRumors, excellent designers and CEO's we have here...
Any museums that include iPhones and Airpods in their collection are not likely to be among the “very best”.

Reactions: mrex

loby

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
I could not agree more.

I have reached a point that I personally will not buy a Mac again after 15 years of owning Mac's. I blame this guy more than anyone for "form over function" Mac's we have today. I seriously regret buying my 2017 15inch Macbook Pro I got last November. The 2018 Macbooks are worse IMHO. Cost continues to go up and logical features just keep getting stripped away, and we get lame features like the touchbar??
I also agree...but...Apple is catering to the newer user who are younger and don't need all of the functions anymore...

Is not the goal (as in society) to not do anything and let the "smart" whatever do everything for you? Turn on your lights, open your door, drive your car, monitor you heart...tell you when you are sitting to long...heck...even brush your teeth for you.... (i.e. the movie "Wall-e")

So no need for all of the extra stuff. Have "Siri" do it so you don't have to put the effort to type. Eventually have the touch bar be Siri controlled so you don't even have to look down to select or preform the option. No need for a USB drive or ports when iCloud will store it for you.

Everything is designed to move toward a "dumb" terminal with everything in the cloud. Old timer tech guys know what this is...but the new generation does not..this was the goal at Microsoft during the Gates Era, but it is now Apple's goal..."Big Brother" will do everything for you..

Is this not the reason why all of the Macs with each generation losing function over form...really?

mikethemartian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL
So what you are saying is that Apple should focus less on devices that number in billions and are growing year over year and focus more on legacy hardware that is becoming less and less important in people's every day lives just for the purpose of placating desktop gamers. That sounds like a winning plan.
The smart phone market won’t always be as hot as it is today.

macintoshmac

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
someone ask him why iMacs have to be thinner
Instead, someone should ask him why _only_ the devices he designs have to be thinner. Why isn't he thinning down as much as his devices?

Just kidding. He looks great. Long live Ive and his relation with Apple.
[doublepost=1532667502][/doublepost]
Samsung doesn't end with the galaxy line...

Oh god, that looks seriously ugly and reminds me of a mouth face a cartoon character called Pingu made. Only, Pingu looked cute while this looks seriously ugly. Kindly refrain from posting large images of ugly products. :p

Attachments

DQ11

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2018
Does this point to a October 12th 2018 imac release/announcement?