Apple Developing Redesigned 2018 iPad With Face ID, Slimmer Bezels and No Home Button

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 8, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is working on a new high-end 2018 iPad that will adopt many of the design elements from the revamped iPhone X, reports Bloomberg. The new tablet device, which is likely to be a "Pro" model, will reportedly do away with the Home button.

[​IMG]
    iPad Pro render via Benjamin Geskin

It will feature slimmer edges, a faster processor, a custom Apple-built GPU, and built-in support for Face ID, allowing it to be unlocked with a facial scan much like the iPhone X. With Face ID, there's no need for a Touch ID Home button.
    While the new 2018 iPad is said to be adopting many iPhone X features, Bloomberg's sources do not believe it will feature an OLED display. Instead, it will continue to use an LCD, likely because Apple suppliers are still working on ramping up OLED production. Samsung continues to be the only display maker capable of producing OLED displays suitable for an iPad, but technical and financial constraints will prevent Apple from adopting OLED at this time.

[​IMG]

A new version of its Apple Pencil and new "software tools" for using the stylus are also said to be in development alongside the new iPad model.

According to Bloomberg, the revamped iPad is expected to be released "a little more than a year" after the prior iPad Pro update, suggesting it could see a launch sometime around September. Apple refreshed its iPad Pro lineup in June of 2017 at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

[​IMG]

Today's rumor is in line with prior reports from reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who previously said he believes iPad Pro models set to be released in 2018 will come equipped with a TrueDepth Camera and support for Face ID.

Article Link: Apple Developing Redesigned 2018 iPad With Face ID, Slimmer Bezels and No Home Button

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

they better fix Face ID working in landscape mode

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I would be more than happy to resort to Face ID. I think this will also be nicely expanded into the iPad line. But it would be nice to see an OLED dislay eventually as well.

4. zhang96 macrumors member

5. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Yup. That’s a biggie. ;)

6. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

7. raskar macrumors member

raskar

8. lockerc18 macrumors 6502

9. questionmark32 macrumors regular

10. archvile macrumors 6502

archvile

3rd complete remodel of iPad Pro in 3 years, here we come!

11. Bruce Patterson macrumors regular

Why would anyone buy an iPad anymore - so lame

12. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

Definitely not an OLED, there's no available part out there that meets their required spec - yet.

13. profets macrumors 601

That would be amazing. I’d love to see it with OLED and a stainless steel frame but I’m not holding my breath.

14. Ayemerica macrumors 65816

Ayemerica

Ok I love my X, but an iPad shouldn't have a notch.

15. jgbr macrumors 6502a

Because getting rid of Touch ID on what is suppose to become their laptop replacement ultraportable really makes sense for user profile management. Duh.

16. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

Seems trivial to just rotate the data 90 degrees... Only "issue" would be the person would have to shift their face to the left or right.

17. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I agree...Not sure why people on here are now 'liking' the Notch. I swear if any other company had a the Notch, they'd say it's the ugliest thing ever.

18. SamRyouji macrumors member

SamRyouji

This news hits the nails for me to postpone my plan to take current gen iPad Pro this holiday season.

Would love to see improvements of faceID and screen techs for next iPad Pro.

PS: I wholeheartedly agree with Ayemerica said. They better give the iPad full thin top bezel instead of tiny notch.

19. Will.O.Bie macrumors 6502

Will.O.Bie

Time will tell, my friend. I was thinking of the same thing with the 12.9 inch iPad Pro. Then, hopefully, onto the Mac line. My only worry is the price starting point of these future line of devices.

20. TimeSquareDesi macrumors 6502

TimeSquareDesi

21. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

Maybe they 1) don't want to support multiple users beyond education (where FaceID won't be used on kids) 2) Will simply have you accept the lower security of having multiple recognized faces or 3) will require a passcode if you want multiple users

22. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

23. jasonklee macrumors 6502a

jasonklee