Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thinkcatgame

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2016
I think this design can be used on iPad mini, and maybe Apple Pencil can support the new version of iPad mini as well.

nextuser

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2016
I don't see the iPad as an individual, personal device. To me it's more of a special purpose, kiosk style device. So with that in mind, Face ID doesn't make too much sense. Perhaps if Face ID were capable of identifying multiple people it might work but only in certain situations.

I just think their iPad strategy is not well thought out. There's nothing that's actually "Pro" about the iPad, adding a Pencil or a faster processor doesn't make it a Pro device. However, if they would focus more on audio/video then they could make the iPad a legitimate Pro device. Imagine adding an actual Pro-quality microphone, or a Pro-quality camera lens, and being able to control it from iOS.

The iPad has the potential to be the ultimate music creation device, but sadly the audio latency has been getting worse and worse with each release of iOS.

Apple doesn't seem to understand the iPad. Document creation (like Microsoft Office) is a solved problem and works best on the desktop with an actual keyboard. Being able to run a word processor on the iPad doesn't make it Pro.

Reactions: moonlit

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
The resale value of which will be in the toilet next year, following the new normal at Apple. Just ask the iPad Air 2 and the 9.7" Pro. If history is any guide, the X is next.

5 months in and my 10.5 is worth more than I bought it for at launch. I'm not too concerned about resell value.

Steve Expat

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2016
I just think their iPad strategy is not well thought out. There's nothing that's actually "Pro" about the iPad, adding a Pencil or a faster processor doesn't make it a Pro device. However, if they would focus more on audio/video then they could make the iPad a legitimate Pro device. Imagine adding an actual Pro-quality microphone, or a Pro-quality camera lens, and being able to control it from iOS.

The iPad has the potential to be the ultimate music creation device, but sadly the audio latency has been getting worse and worse with each release of iOS.

Apple doesn't seem to understand the iPad. Document creation (like Microsoft Office) is a solved problem and works best on the desktop with an actual keyboard. Being able to run a word processor on the iPad doesn't make it Pro.

Sorry, but this comment is the opposite of reality. iOS OWNS the music creation/audio production market with CoreMIDI, AudioBus and AUv3. There are so many unique synths and audio content creation apps out now, and it’s still growing rapidly as Apple brought Audio Units to iOS. AudioBus 3, Cubasis 2, Notion iOS, Symphony Pro 5, and synths by Moog, Korg, and Aurturia, plug-ins by Liquidsonics, Audio Damage DDMG, and I’m just scratching the surface. Every week a new Music app is released that ups the game. It’s an amazing time to be a musician on the macOS and iOS platforms. And there’s the amazing Lemur and Composer Tools Pro.

iOS 11 added immense value to the workflow for composing and audio production. New hardware interfaces, keyboards and other devices continue to come out that give the iPad Pro an important role in step with desktop computers.

Not to mention the macOS-like Dock in iOS 11, the USB 3 Lightenting port, 120Hz refresh rate, 32 Watt USB C charger (which should have been included), and the Apple Pencil that allows me to compose orchestral music in Notion iOS.

And let’s not forget the fastest SoC on the market today with advanced GPUs on the way for the next gen A series SoCs.

Android is nowhere in this picture. And many of the excellent music production applications available for iOS just wouldn’t work in the mouse based world of macOS. For the first time in many years I’m having fun again because of the innovation by Apple and iOS developers in the music and audio production market.

Apple understands the iPad Pro. The pro market is making sure of it. I surely don’t want the Finder in macOS to become a touch screen device, but it seems like Apple has decided to quietly go in the other direction by finding ways to carefully make iOS for the iPad Pro a Finder like macOS device with the Dock, Files app and CoreMIDI, Metal 2 and AUv3 leading the way to the future of professional touch screen tablet, gesture, stylus and other wired and wireless I/O devices.

I like it. Apple, under Tim Cook has never been known to shock the world. They just keep plugging away, heading in the right direction. It’s already happening, but in another couple of releases as Apple slowly adds key components, (while moving away from others - Lightening port), the iPad Pro is going to push the low priced Mac Books aside. Easily.

Forget the eye candy - smooth bezels, (ho hum). Keep an eye on the core technology. That’s where the iPad Pro will surprise the nay sayers. I’d say the sales growth is an indicator of that.

tanyet

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2013
Oh I don't know, only because it's the best manufactured tablet on the market that does everything my laptop can do and more. It's the best device I own in my household.

I love the iPad as much as anyone (I have 3) but it hardly does everything a laptop can do.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
All this priority on small bezel - nobody at Apple cares about ability to put it into a protective case and still be able to swipe from screen edge for certain functions, nor about inadvertent screen touches/commands for those of us who grip our slippery Apple product firmly with one hand constantly throughout the day? Why does the Quest for Zero bezel seem like a really bad & unnecessary priority for so few?

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Slimmed down iPad mini? Its literally 6.1 mm thin. Unless you mean slimming down the bezels.. That would be cool. :)
That's what I mean. Probably not happening, but one can dream.
[doublepost=1510345816][/doublepost]
If they get rid of the home button ..... and not add the notch, they will introduce a 3rd way to navigate an idevice..... a mess
I mean make the FaceID components not stand out or something.

Reactions: MH01

nextuser

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2016
Sorry, but this comment is the opposite of reality. iOS OWNS the music creation/audio production market with CoreMIDI, AudioBus and AUv3. There are so many unique synths and audio content creation apps out now, and it’s still growing rapidly as Apple brought Audio Units to iOS. AudioBus 3, Cubasis 2, Notion iOS, Symphony Pro 5, and synths by Moog, Korg, and Aurturia, plug-ins by Liquidsonics, Audio Damage DDMG, and I’m just scratching the surface. Every week a new Music app is released that ups the game. It’s an amazing time to be a musician on the macOS and iOS platforms. And there’s the amazing Lemur and Composer Tools Pro.

Yes Android is not even close to being a contender, but that's not the point.

A lot of the audio guys are clinging to Snow Leopard because it is the most stable platform, and are being forced to upgrade because of plugins not supporting Snow Leopard. Every time a new version of OS X comes out it seems that something ruins the latency. Look at a bunch of the prosumer recording units, they usually have drivers going back to Snow Leopard because they know that the audio guys still want to run Snow Leopard.

Same issue with iOS, go to http://superpowered.com/latency you can see the latency getting worse over time

I'm not talking so much about music apps, but actually recording with a pro microphone/preamp/converters hooked up using the Camera Connection Kit, or possibly the lightning interface. It would be so nice if this were more robust.

Apple just doesn't care about pro users anymore

congressbeta

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2017
Because getting rid of Touch ID on what is suppose to become their laptop replacement ultraportable really makes sense for user profile management. Duh.

Makes sense, you can always have support for multiple faces and it could automatically log into that person’s profile. Would be awesome.

LarryC

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
North America

Apple is working on a new high-end 2018 iPad that will adopt many of the design elements from the revamped iPhone X, reports Bloomberg. The new tablet device, which is likely to be a "Pro" model, will reportedly do away with the Home button.

benjamingeskinipadprorender1.jpg

iPad Pro render via Benjamin Geskin
It will feature slimmer edges, a faster processor, a custom Apple-built GPU, and built-in support for Face ID, allowing it to be unlocked with a facial scan much like the iPhone X. With Face ID, there's no need for a Touch ID Home button.While the new 2018 iPad is said to be adopting many iPhone X features, Bloomberg's sources do not believe it will feature an OLED display. Instead, it will continue to use an LCD, likely because Apple suppliers are still working on ramping up OLED production. Samsung continues to be the only display maker capable of producing OLED displays suitable for an iPad, but technical and financial constraints will prevent Apple from adopting OLED at this time.

benjamingeskinipadprorender2.jpg

A new version of its Apple Pencil and new "software tools" for using the stylus are also said to be in development alongside the new iPad model.

According to Bloomberg, the revamped iPad is expected to be released "a little more than a year" after the prior iPad Pro update, suggesting it could see a launch sometime around September. Apple refreshed its iPad Pro lineup in June of 2017 at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

benjamingeskinipadprorender3.jpg

Today's rumor is in line with prior reports from reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who previously said he believes iPad Pro models set to be released in 2018 will come equipped with a TrueDepth Camera and support for Face ID.

Article Link: Apple Developing Redesigned 2018 iPad With Face ID, Slimmer Bezels and No Home Button

Can a user choose to not use the facial I.D. feature?

roadkill97006

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
Beaverton, Oregon
All this priority on small bezel - nobody at Apple cares about ability to put it into a protective case and still be able to swipe from screen edge for certain functions, nor about inadvertent screen touches/commands for those of us who grip our slippery Apple product firmly with one hand constantly throughout the day? Why does the Quest for Zero bezel seem like a really bad & unnecessary priority for so few?
I think that the 'no bezel’ people are more about show than hard use. I’m having enough trouble keeping from popping the dock up while attempting to scroll in 11.1. I can imagine the problems I’d have with no reasonable place to grab the thing without my thumbs inadvertently getting on the screen. I haven’t the dexterity to text with my thumbs while clamping the iPad between my palms as one person said, particularly in landscape mode, and that sounds quite tiring for long term use.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Curious to see mockups of a bezel-less 12.9" iPad Pro. If they could get it close to the current 10.5" iPad Pro size, I'm ALL THE WAY IN.

Reactions: NewPilgrim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.