Apple Developing Redesigned 2018 iPad With Face ID, Slimmer Bezels and No Home Button

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 8, 2017.

1. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Lower the price....... come on... :p

2. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

You try to do the face id setup...and.....(SNAP)...you broke your neck. LOL. :D

3. longhorn2004 macrumors newbie

Makes one wander since the 10.5 is a new form function whether this rumor only applies to the larger 12.9. Since the 10.5 debut sales of the 12.9 probably have slowed, what better way to rejuvenate sales of the larger Pro Ipad.

4. roadkill97006 macrumors newbie

roadkill97006

I think it’s a ploy to sell more keyboards and stands. I’ve been paying attention to how I wind up holding my IPPro and I need a bezel at least on two sides.

5. augustya, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

How many of you guys are OK with the fact that the next year's iPad Pro I mean Apple is giving bringing all the goodies to the iPad Pro model like Face Id, No Home Button, Slimmer Bezels. But not an OLED Display How many guys here are ready with this Trade Off that you have to manage ? I wish they could have also included OLED Displays aswell next year with all the good things that are planning to bring. Glad I didn't pull the trigger this year.

6. Sakurambo-kun macrumors 6502

Sakurambo-kun

iPad releases are so late now they're in danger of being an entire generation behind the iPhone. Unless these can skip the A11 entirely and go straight to the A12.

7. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

I guess I’m glad I got my iPad when I did but if they go the same route with the iPad then this is my last iPad.

8. rkanaga macrumors member

The cheapest iPad won’t get Face Id

Why?

One word: education. It doesn’t work with kids!

9. pika2000 macrumors 68030

I can see the 12.9 iPad Pro getting faceID and less bezel. It is mostly designed to be used on a desk, thus those things can improve the experience. However, the smaller iPads might be hampered without bezels as some bezel is good usability for holding the tablet. And faceID (and FaceTime) has issues on an iPad, where users are looking at odd angles when the iPad is in landscape mode.

10. MrCrowbar macrumors 68000

MrCrowbar

It'll scan the parent and then automatically recognize the children that have facial features of both their parents. If you're adopted or not your dad's, it'll bring up an according notification. And an iAd for 23andMe.com. :D

11. canadianreader macrumors 6502

canadianreader

Can you unlock iphone X in landscape mode ?

12. Kobra macrumors regular

Kobra

The design makes sense on a new mini, not so sure about it on a larger ipad though. Love my mini 4 and would love it more if it had pencil suport.

13. mariodrumblue macrumors newbie

YES

Sorry that’s not true. Maybe if you just use the laptop for email or browsing, then your statement is correct conditional on what you do with it . But any laptop “can” do a lot of things that an iPad cannot do. I use my laptop to analyse data and simulate mathematical models with software that could not run on an iPad. But I love the iPad for other things. They’re just different tools

14. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

You're incorrect and Yes, it is true. You can't speak for everybody's situation on your insinuation based on how they use their iPad for laptop and email. I can easily convert all my files, PDFs, desktop programs, work related files, shares documents, etc over to iOS and use it seamlessly on my iPad. As matter of fact, my iPad and my laptop share almost exact same programs, which can entirely be completed on my iPad if need be.

15. Neepman macrumors regular

One does have to hold it.

16. richinaus macrumors 6502a

I suggest you re-read what he said and your reply as you are incorrect. Yes it can do a lot of similar tasks but in no way does it replace a laptop in all situations. I have a load of apps on my MBP that are no way even closely replaced on an iPad.

On topic, I am looking forward to the update as described. My iPad Pro 10.5 is one of my most favourite apple devices in a long time. Super fast, great size and weight etc. It can only go from strength to strength.

17. RuffyYoshi macrumors regular

RuffyYoshi

I'm down with this, just please no notch this time...

18. Relentless Power, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Wrong. You are not in a position to make a statement that you don't fully understand everything that I do on my laptop and iPad, which You seem to be under the same delusion , As I commented that you (And the other member) can't speak for everybody's situation, as its variable. Every program that I run on my laptop can be converted over to my iPad. That's a fact. So I am correct in the fact that I'm saying that based on my needs and experiences, my iPad can you everything I require it to. It's just your situation doesn't align with mine.

19. Tech198 macrumors G4

neato ..... tagline "The long wait is finally over" an increase of the 10.5 inch

20. MVMNT macrumors member

How will a Pro iPad not have dual cameras? Massive oversight there.

21. dfs macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2017 ---
    Yes, 3D touch. And while we're on the subject, let's have Qi charging too. I already have that for my iPad Air, created by a cheap third-party sender and receiver picked up on Amazon, a standard aluminum stand, and a bunch of tape (duct tapeto fix the receiver on the back of the iPad, double-sided to attach fix transmitter onto the stand). It works and I love the convenience, but it's godawful slow. about the same as using a USB cable attached to a Mac, because it seems that all the Qi gear currently available is 5v, which works well for smartphones, whereas tablets ideally need 10v. So that's what Apple needs to give us, 10v implementation plus a charging mat or stand large enough to accommodate a tablet-sized device.

22. gatearray macrumors 65816

The resale value of which will be in the toilet next year, following the new normal at Apple. Just ask the iPad Air 2 and the 9.7" Pro. If history is any guide, the X is next.

23. Lershac macrumors regular

Bezels are too thin for gripping as it is. I constantly inadvertently touch something on the display on the 10.5 now.

24. rp2011 macrumors 6502a

rp2011

Love my 12.0 iPad but it can do with a smaller footprint. Also, now that I have the iPhone x, anything but Face ID seems like a downgrade. Face ID is amazing and a far better solution than touch ID in real-life use where certain apps have prompts that ask for your fingerprint for authentication and log-in. That's all a thing of the past.

25. SAIRUS macrumors 6502a