Apple Developing Redesigned 2018 iPad With Face ID, Slimmer Bezels and No Home Button

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 8, 2017.

1. ravenstar macrumors member

Why do you suppose an infrared light source would cause eye damage? Just because you can't see it, doesn't make it unsafe.

2. TheMacDaddy1 macrumors member

I thought for sure FaceID was going to be a fail. I am surprised how well it works, really surprised. I have had no issues in landscape. Even if I did it would not bother me to turn the phone to unlock it. Then again I almost never use my phone in landscape for what I do with it.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2017 ---
    IMHO if you going to buy any tablet, the iPad is the only real choice. A month ago I got a Samsung Tab 3 from work. At first I was excited about it, but after only a week, I went back to my iPad Air 2 for everything not work related on a tablet (consumption). The fit and finish is just better in terms of hardware and OS.

3. AZMecha macrumors member

AZMecha

C'mon 2018 WWDC & iPhone Event..... Yay or Nay for a Updated Mac Book Pro with Face-Id......

4. longhorn2004 macrumors newbie

The more I think about it, the more I am sure this is just for the 12.9 Pro size and either making the screen area larger or shrinking the larger 12.9 size. Don't see the new 10.5 form function changing much.

5. RedCloud2017 macrumors newbie

I'd buy OK with removing the home button but I'm not sold on round corners or small bezels on tablets.

Regardless, I'll wait for an iPad with OLED hopefully in 2019.

6. borntrouble macrumors regular

borntrouble

Please tell me you aren't serious about this.

7. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Not sure what you mean

8. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

9. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

They JUST added touch-ID to the macbook. Things are getting very fragmented very quickly. Not cool.

10. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

11. randomplaydo macrumors member

Welp, looks like I'm waiting another 6-8 months before buying the 12" ipad pro. I've waited two years, so I guess another half year won't kill me.

12. Supermacguy macrumors regular

There is no reason to remove the bezels. I WANT SOME BEZEL area so I can grab my device without always touching the active screen part. Does no at Apple consider the real life use cases people put their devices through?

13. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

when should we expect the update for the regular iPad, the one that replaced the iPad Air 2?

14. ksnell macrumors 6502a

ksnell

Have you used FaceID yet? I have to tell you it is way better than I thought it would be.

15. Greenmeenie macrumors regular

Greenmeenie

Everytime someone talks about the importance of bezels i really cannot understand it. Whenever i hold my ipad in portrait or landscape mode, i NEVER even touch the bezels. I just press my palms into the sides(edges of the ipad) and support the back of the ipad with my fingers while i type and navigate with my thumbs. I really don't see how anyone would ever even touch the bezels. So to me, the bezels are completely non essential and wouldnt be missed at all.

16. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

I second. The Face ID and redesign iPad is what I have been waiting for. Glad I did not buy the most recent released iPad Pro. I know something better is coming up :)

17. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Well it's my only other computer besides my iPhone X so I'll always have an iPad. I'll for sure sell and upgrade next year though.

18. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

The question I have is how they're going to handle gestures. iOS11 just introduced new gestures for the Dock and multitasking. If they're going to avoid confusion, swipe from below is going to be the new Home gesture like it is on iPhone X. So, what happens to the Dock, multi tasking and Control Centre? They're going to have to change gestures on the iPad, yet again.

I think that dragging from below will still bring up the Dock and dragging further will shrink the app window and throw it back to the Home screen like on an iPhone X. Holding it for a second will then pop open the multi tasking window with Control Centre as we it is in iOS11.

19. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

I'm sure they will come up with something intuitive. What you describe is probably pretty accurate though. For me, it's not too difficult to adapt fairly quickly.

20. farewelwilliams, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

wait what? Face ID does not work at all in landscape. i've reset FaceID many times, it just doesn't work in landscape.
    and the point isn't using the phone in landscape, it's using iPad in landscape. i use iPad more in landscape compared to portrait because of the keyboard cover.
    doesn't look like so. which would be a huge problem on the iPad.
    i'm talking about using FaceID on the iPad. no Face ID in landscape mode would suck on the iPad

even then, i've had to rotate my iphone to use FaceID in several landscape situations (apple pay in safari, games with in-app purchases, viewing a locked note, etc...)

21. iAK macrumors member

iAK

That's what I wish the iPhone X looked like!

22. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Well, i'm in the "I like the bezels on the 12.9 and use them". I can't imagine trying to hold it without them. Lucky for me we go a long time without upgrading around here!

23. vvs14 macrumors regular

vvs14

Slimmed down iPad mini? Its literally 6.1 mm thin. Unless you mean slimming down the bezels.. That would be cool. :)

24. WinterWolf90 macrumors 6502

Will buy if it’s true. I just price doesn’t go insane.