Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today removed the iPod nano and iPod shuffle from its website and online store around the world, and it has since confirmed the iconic portable media players have been discontinued. Apple continues to sell the iPod touch with updated pricing and storage, including a 32GB model for $199 and 128GB model for $299.

ipod-nano-generations-800x486.jpg

For now, it appears the iPod nano and iPod shuffle are still available to purchase at many Apple Stores and other resellers, but that likely won't be the case for too much longer. In the United States, the latest iPod nano started at $149 with 16GB of storage, while the iPod shuffle cost $49 with 2GB of storage.

Beyond new colors and storage capacities, Apple had last updated the iPod nano in October 2012 and the iPod shuffle in September 2010. Apple last updated the iPod touch in July 2015 with an A8 chip and an 8-megapixel rear camera.

Apple introduced the iPod shuffle in January 2005, followed by the iPod nano in September 2005. In total, there were seven generations of the iPod nano, and four generations of the iPod shuffle.

ipod-shuffle-generations-800x442.jpg

iPod sales had been declining for several years. Apple reported 2.6 million iPods sold in the fourth quarter of 2014. Since then, Apple has grouped iPod sales under its "Other Products" category in earnings results. iPod sales peaked at 54.8 million in 2008, compared to 14.3 million in 2014.

The success of the iPod, first introduced in 2001 by the late Steve Jobs, helped Apple reestablish itself as one of the world's most successful technology companies at the turn of the millenium. But, after the iPhone launched in 2007, the iPod nano and iPod shuffle became increasingly niche products.

Update: "Today, we are simplifying our iPod lineup with two models of iPod touch, now with double the capacity starting at just $199, and we are discontinuing the iPod shuffle and iPod nano," an Apple spokesperson told Business Insider.

Article Link: Apple Discontinues iPod Nano and iPod Shuffle

Last edited:
Reactions: KingSH007

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I wasn't an Apple user back when the Nano launched, but I remember it was the first Apple product that seriously impressed me and made me want to get Apple Stuff. RIP Nano!

Edit: Remember when analysts were all worried that the iPhone would cannibalize iPod sales? And Steve Jobs said "If you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will."

Last edited:

zakool21

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2010
They were basically giving them away through the iPod replacement program. It's clear there was limited market for them ever since larger-capacity iPhones became commonplace.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Damn, I actually really dig the iPad Shuffle. It's very handy when running or at the gym. I'd say the Apple Watch would fill the roll, but if you're like my girlfriend who doesn't have an iPhone but still likes the portability aspect, the iPod Shuffle is the perfect little design.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I have two iPod Shuffle at home, last time I used one of those was at the beach (I don't like using smartphones there).
I was surprise they still sold them actually

Reactions: styymy

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Good thing I saw this.
Just ordered another one in case mine goes Kaput!
I love these little guys for the gym.
Sorry to see them go.

Reactions: Martie! and Huck

stan1028

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
I think that both the iPod models that which is really portable, being replaced by the Apple Watch. (And of course the iPhone)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.