Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
Sigh... you do what you can, right?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 11.22.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 11.22.20 AM.png
    84.3 KB · Views: 358

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Bean counters as CEO’s only look at the bottom line. Cut was does not make money.

For the riches company in the world, they can’t take a hit on a service? Sometimes the little things stand out to make a company great, not the stockholder quarterly earnings meeting...

You're assuming though that it is a widely used service. I'd be more willing to bet that it is not.

Reactions: rhett7660

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
I hate what Cook has done to Apple
He has destroyed a legacy for a lousy few dollars extra profit when Apple has more money than any other company
Cook is the anti-Apple!

Reactions: Dana Beck

shep456

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
This is very sad. A few years ago, with Aperture, a top-class app, one could compose a photo book with great flexibility and precision, and readily get it printed at a high quality. i have made a bunch of 100-page large-format hardback books, with page layout and photo sizes varied from page to page at my will.
The elimination of Aperture was the first sign that Apple was dropping any interest in serious photographers. The elimination of these books is the last step.
I had actually been using workarounds for several years in order to continue to exploit my hard-learned Aperture skills: I, and many others, made Aperture work in new OS's up to High Sierra, and (in a more complex procedure) could convert a book composed in Aperture to pdf's and then use Photos to print it. The book design options in Photos are severely dumbed-down and not a patch on Aperture's design flexibility, but the printed books from Photos with transferred pdf's were almost as good as the Aperture ones (there was a slight decline in color quality).
From the very beginning, the Mac has attracted creative and visually-oriented people. The deliberate cancellation of Aperture and Photo Books shows how far the present management at Apple have drifted from their core supporters and enthusiasts. Simplified (dumbed-down) apps for the masses are the way they want to go, it seems. Forget creativity and quality.

Last edited:

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
You're assuming though that it is a widely used service. I'd be more willing to bet that it is not.
Actually, I am assuming that it is “not” a widely used service...

I am saying that just because a service is not used, to save money it is cut. Understandable when you are a struggling company trying to cut costs to survive, but the richest company in the world?

Apple has been cutting many things that they deam “not widely used” like server, Automator scripting development and other services that “some” use but not “profitable” to continue due to cost vs profit.

The “bottom line” should not be always the final decision in all things if you are on the top. Profit is the number one motivator at Apple now a days. Nothing wrong with profits, but if you have enough “cash” at hand that exceeds nations..it does not still have to be the driving force on all decisions.

Just like removing the black silk screen wipe cloth that use to come with the Macs. A “touch of class” that is gone to save a few pennies...

Apples “now” motivator: profit and politics

This is what I am referring too..

Reactions: Manzanito

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Oh pants. I've been making about a dozen different photo books for years as I have time. I guess this means I need to finish them pronto. I've seen a few peoples Apple books and they're very nice.

Reactions: Sasparilla

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
If anyone can help....

The article seems to state that we have a few more months to order our final books.
But I can’t seem to create one anymore (Photos/Mojave).
Anyone know how to create one with the current state of software?

RocksterX

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
Everyone.

Apple never produced these products on their own although they defined the products and standards. If you have ordered a book from Apple Photos before, then you know what a product from Mimeo Photos is like. In fact, you will see that the products match up identically.

The big change here is that Apple is no longer going to be in the middle, and as a result, you can get the same products you are used to (see above) as well as more while companies like Mimeo and many others add in their product lines as well.

GuillaumeB

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Just behind you
Well clearly Mimeo is totally ruled out. They have you believe it'd cost $1.49 to order a print... just like Apple’s service. But in truth, they ask for a minimum of 25 prints !. Seriously pisses me off
ZLZKG3s.png

Last edited:
Reactions: shep456

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
You'll still be able to create calendars after September 30. Mimeo Photos and other extensions offer photo products including cards, calendars, and photobooks.

Thanks for that and the link. I haven't tried it yet, but I like the fact that it is integrated into Photos.

I've been doing these photo books since they came out. Like one of the people above, "Highlights" of each year for the kids. And a copy of it for the spouse for her early-in-the-year birthday. Ditto calendars and Christmas cards too. I wasn't sending cards, by my wife likes to do so, so I've been using Photos to do it (with Photoshop).

She likes, it, they love seeing the photos of them as babies, grade school and they are much more durable than keeping them on their iPads or Macs since (as is often the case) many people don't back up. While we have the slideshows available on the Apple TV and the albums synced to the iPhones/iPads, it is nice to have something in your hand.

Last edited:

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
In case there is any question, Apple's vision for photography is for everyone to be taking photos on their phones and share them via the cloud to the iKrack devices that people stare at all day.

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I gave Mimeo a try. The book looked good, at least it did when the app actually worked. It constantly gave error messages that the page needed to be reloaded. I am using the latest Photos on a 2017 iMac using High Sierra so my hardware and software should be compatible.

Update. The problem was in my Photos library. The Mimeo extension looks promising.

Last edited:

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Uh...which ones?

Nearly all of them. Take HP Snapfish for example,

http://www.districtphoto.com/milestones/
District sold Snapfish to Hewlett Packard, but have continued to fulfill Snapfish orders and add new online and brick and mortar wholesale customers in all of our manufacturing platforms. A natural expansion of our capabilities brought a large school yearbook business and professional photo services to our portfolio. Today, District Photo is one of the largest direct-to-consumer custom product and photo fulfillment operations in the world.

Amazon Prime Photo is the exact same service.

This is why everybody sells identical mugs and canvases.

Last edited:

dlaleh

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2018
Sad as I would purchase dozens of books each year for my clients...over the years the quality improved and when these would be sent to the client they always commented on the fact that the presentation and quality matched the Apple brand...and sure there are others that have much higher end quality but as a good quick quality book, my clients couldn;t have been happier so now Apple is making my life and work harder...I guess I should have seen this when they killed Aperture and the freedom to design books in Aperture....sad to see...now I have to go out and spend more time to some other outsource...

It won't be as hard as you think to find a new alternative! Mimeo Photos offers the same Apple photo project experience and more without ever having to leave the Photos app on your Mac. They have a great and simple UI, plus countless preset themes, colors, fonts and layouts. They also have the same exact photobook sizes, materials, and quality as Apple's previous products.

I love Mimeo Photos and all they have to offer. They are consistently updating their app with great new features and their photobooks are products I can always count on to deliver.

Mac'dTheGuy

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2018
Worldwide
I couldn't find a 'Photos Project Extension' on the Mac App Store. (I'm not in the US) Were you able to find one? any recommendations for printing books? Thanks!

I'm outside of the US and I found 4. Tried using WIx.
[doublepost=1531965181][/doublepost]This is just sad if they really want to discontinue the service. This is one of the few things that makes Mac/Apple an amazing device yet they discontinue features like this and still no fix on their keyboard. #SMHV

Djangoh

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2016
NC
I wholeheartedly agree with an earlier poster that this feature in photos is one of the things that sets owning a Mac apart.
Over the summer, I have started to chronicle our life, putting together "family yearbooks". We will get the first set tomorrow and it will be as nice as all the other books and calendars I have ordered in the past. Whenever one of Apple's packages arrive, the whole house is abuzz with anticipation and excitement. The kids love them, my wife loves them, the grandparents love them - people love books.
Be different, Apple. Keep the books.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010

THIS IS TERRIBLE NEWS. Apple is constantly getting rid of services. What next? They just updated the iBook software for IOS. Does this mean that we cannot create books using this app? BTW, they suggest you use Shutterfly. Check out the Shutterfly app in the App Store. It has lousy reviews including those that say it doesn't work. What do you say about that Apple?

Apple will discontinue its physical Photo Books printing service later this year, as spotted by 9to5Mac. Using Photo Books, macOS users can choose from pictures taken on an iPhone or iPad, synced to the Mac Photos app, and build books, cards, calendars, and prints that are then mailed to them.

apple-photo-books-mac.jpg

Now, a new message has been spotted in the Photos app on macOS 10.13.6 and states that final purchases for the built-in photo printing service will need to be placed by September 30, 2018. Afterwards, it appears that Mac users will have to opt for third-party companies like Shutterfly to craft physical books made from their digital photos.

Apple explains that users can integrate these third-party services into Photos with a Photos Project Extension downloaded from the Mac App Store. With these extensions, apps like Shutterfly can integrate photo printing services into Apple's own Photos app so users don't have to leave the app to build their photo books.

9to5-photo-books.jpg

Image via 9to5Mac

For classic landscape-style books, Apple sells softcover books starting at $9.99 in a medium size, and increasing to $49.99 in hardcover and extra large size. Calendars are $19.99 each, cards start at $0.99, and posters for panoramic shots are also available for $12.99-$17.99. These prices should remain intact until the service shutters in the fall.

Article Link: Apple Discontinuing Physical Photo Books Printing Service Later This Year
[doublepost=1532010110][/doublepost]
Read the article and still confused... Does this definitively mean that they aren't going to do the cards anymore either, or just the books?

I've made one of these cards every year around the holidays for the last nine years using the same template. It's kind of a tradition. Really sucks if the cards are going too.

I found Apple's book and card options and quality noticeably better than similar products through Shutterfly, etc.

Follow-up question: I still use iPhoto (can't give up the manual event splitting and most recent at top sorting)... does this mean they are going to release a "new" version of iPhoto with the Print ordering pieces ripped out?

Shutterfly app has horrible reviews in the App Store.
[doublepost=1532010200][/doublepost]

I USE IT ALL THE TIME. WAS A GREAT SERVICE. APPLE SUCKS!

PrestoPhoto

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2018
Raleigh, North Carolina
Hey, I plugged you guys on the other page! I've been printing PDFs from Photo on Presto Photo for a few years now. Love the price, love the quality.

My only real complaint is that there is no real customization of the spine to match the Apple Books. The Apple Books I print have a black spine with a white Serif font. On Presto, they seem to pull a color from the cover image and have a black San Serif font. The OCD part of me wants the new books to match my old books, but I don't see any way to match it on Presto. Any plants to do more custom spines in the future?

Also, will Presto Photo integrate printing directly into Photo if Apple is going to open it up to third party printing through Project Extensions? Would love to not deal with the whole uploading a PDF thing if possible.

It also kills me a little inside to have to pay $10 to remove the watermark on the back of the book... just saying.

Hey there!

We are so glad that you've enjoyed working with us, we definitely appreciate your support :)

When you upload your PDF, you're automatically re-directed to the Cover Preview page. On that page you actually have the option of changing your background color, which will change the color of the spine. You're also able to change the spine text color as well as the font used on the Spine. We don't have all of the fonts that Apple used for their books, though we do have ones that are comparable :)

We've visited (and re-visited) the idea of creating an App for integration for years. Dishing out the funds to not only create, but also maintain an app is a bit too pricey for what we'd ideally like to do. If worst comes to worst, we'll likely re-visit the idea. Though at the moment, we don't have plans to do that.

In regards to the logo, we offer a Professional Membership for those who want to logo removed from all of their orders, forever!

If you ever have questions when creating on our site, just send us a quick email or hop on Live Chat and we'll be happy to help :)

Thanks again for your support of PrestoPhoto, it means so much to us!
Warm Regards,
MJ

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
It won't be as hard as you think to find a new alternative! Mimeo Photos offers the same Apple photo project experience and more without ever having to leave the Photos app on your Mac. They have a great and simple UI, plus countless preset themes, colors, fonts and layouts. They also have the same exact photobook sizes, materials, and quality as Apple's previous products.

I love Mimeo Photos and all they have to offer. They are consistently updating their app with great new features and their photobooks are products I can always count on to deliver.
Do you know if they offer their services overseas? Europe, specifically.
[doublepost=1532554077][/doublepost]This company keeps losing its soul one little piece at a time.

It was great importing your photos into aperture, develop them, compose a book and order a print all right inside one app.

Now all Tim cares about are emoji and watchbands, it seems.

dlaleh

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2018
While it is unfortunate news that Apple is discontinuing its photo printing services, Mimeo Photos offers identical design themes, products, and templates with the best quality. For years, Apple has partnered with Mimeo to print our photo projects. I have created a few photobooks this summer with Mimeo Photos and only have good things to say! https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...ducts-formats--themes-globally-300690646.html
[doublepost=1533222928][/doublepost]
Do you know if they offer their services overseas? Europe, specifically.

Yes they do! Mimeo Photos delivers globally so you can absolutely order from Europe!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.