Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMan0z

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2018

Apple will discontinue its physical Photo Books printing service later this year, as spotted by 9to5Mac. Using Photo Books, macOS users can choose from pictures taken on an iPhone or iPad, synced to the Mac Photos app, and build books, cards, calendars, and prints that are then mailed to them.

apple-photo-books-mac.jpg

Now, a new message has been spotted in the Photos app on macOS 10.13.6 and states that final purchases for the built-in photo printing service will need to be placed by September 30, 2018. Afterwards, it appears that Mac users will have to opt for third-party companies like Shutterfly to craft physical books made from their digital photos.

Apple explains that users can integrate these third-party services into Photos with a Photos Project Extension downloaded from the Mac App Store. With these extensions, apps like Shutterfly can integrate photo printing services into Apple's own Photos app so users don't have to leave the app to build their photo books.

9to5-photo-books.jpg

Image via 9to5Mac

For classic landscape-style books, Apple sells softcover books starting at $9.99 in a medium size, and increasing to $49.99 in hardcover and extra large size. Calendars are $19.99 each, cards start at $0.99, and posters for panoramic shots are also available for $12.99-$17.99. These prices should remain intact until the service shutters in the fall.

Article Link: Apple Discontinuing Physical Photo Books Printing Service Later This Year

I am running MacOS High Sierra and I receive this message. But my friend uses a 10 year old MacBook Pro, with OSX El Capitan, and his Photo's app doesn't prompt him with this message. It takes him straight to the wizard for him to start his project. Does this mean he can use the native Apple print services forever (After September 30, 2018?)

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
I am running MacOS High Sierra and I receive this message. But my friend uses a 10 year old MacBook Pro, with OSX El Capitan, and his Photo's app doesn't prompt him with this message. It takes him straight to the wizard for him to start his project. Does this mean he can use the native Apple print services forever (After September 30, 2018?)

I find it very unlikely.

David0518

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2018
New York

He might be able to still make projects but there will no longer be a printing service after September 30th. So, if your friend tried to checkout it would likely result in error. Your friend is better updating his MacOS and downloading one of the extensions for Apple Photos. I'm currently using Motif myself, I highly suggest that extension for printing photo books and calendars.

manni

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
While I think some of the Tim-bashing on this forum can get out of hand I believe this particular area is really down to the difference between Steve and Tim, or more particularly, between Steve and any accountant like Tim put in charge of Apple.

For the blunt, sad truth is that whoever was put in charge after Steve was always going to answer to the board and have to justify everything on hard financial grounds. Steve often spoke about how much he loved photography as an art and how he wanted Macs to be the best for it. By all accounts they never made much money from Aperture but Steve was determined that Apples would have the best software for photography.

If this is something that isn't making much money Tim will cut it. At the time that Aperture was canned I was genuinely shocked. I had put tens of thousands of photos into my Aperture library, major life events and all the way through had felt that I could trust Apple to never stop at least supporting the app so I could use them. But in retrospect I shouldn't have been shocked, Cook was just doing what any other man in his position would have done. You could replace Cook with any other CEO from any other major company and he would just do exactly the same thing. The point is Steve was unusual, seems pointless to blame Cook, he is just doing his job, making as much money for the company owners as possible.

And it's worth remembering that Apple's most financially successful periods always came when Steve wasn't there. Apple made huge money in the 80s after Steve was forced out as they could milk the product lines he had created. And after his death Apple has made more money than ever before as they could do things that Steve wouldn't have allowed - cutting everything related to photography, letting things like the MacMini stagnate so badly it is embarrassing, even little things like using a silver home button surround to save presumably $1 for the red iPhone. Combined with the wonderful liens and eco-system Steve created it has allowed Apple to hit $1 trillion.

Many of us here are sad about these things but I suppose shareholders will be happy.

nathanrobo

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2018
Kettering, Northamptonshire
I've been rebuilding two classic cars and photographing each part of the process. I've loaded the pics into two projects. The first will be complete ready for printing in a few weeks - but unfortunately not in time for the Apple deadline.

Can anyone explain whether and how to print these books using 3rd party apps without having to reformat / configure the albums.

As a footnote, I've bought Imacs, Macbook Pros, Mac book Airs & Iphones, a Time Capsule and Ipads over the years. With pricing, the number of failures and decisions such as this one, I have to say that my reasons for choosing Apple products are quickly diminishing. Especially with my kids turning to Android products and constantly telling me that Apple no longer has the edge :-(

Shame the decision makers, no longer care about the views of their customers.

Reactions: Sasparilla

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Just in case anyone (like me) is still planning to meet the deadline, Mojave doesn't let you use the old service - directs straight to the App Store for plugins..

FireArse

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Just in case anyone (like me) is still planning to meet the deadline, Mojave doesn't let you use the old service - directs straight to the App Store for plugins..

FireArse

What is Mojave and what does it have to do with Apple cards?

David0518

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2018
New York
What is Mojave and what does it have to do with Apple cards?
Mojave is the newest macOS update. So, once users updated to Mojave they were unable to use the Apple Photos printing service. The Apple printing service is now officially discontinued though. I'm still using Motif and they're integrated with Mojave. I'm excited to see what they do now that Apple is officially done with their printing.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Mojave is the newest macOS update. So, once users updated to Mojave they were unable to use the Apple Photos printing service. The Apple printing service is now officially discontinued though. I'm still using Motif and they're integrated with Mojave. I'm excited to see what they do now that Apple is officially done with their printing.
LOL, what is wrong with me on Mojave? Anyway, on Mavericks I could not print out Apple cards as of 9PM PST on September 30th so they must have stopped it EST.

Sniffle

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2018
Damn.

This was one of those things Apple did that "just worked" so well too.

iPhoto, Aperture, and even the new Photos app all allowed for creating some really amazing gifts for friends and family.

I've made several over the years that people still talk about.

I guess Apple isn't seeing enough use to keep it going.

Apple keeps killing things I actually use and love. (Hypercard, QTVR, Aperture, comfortable and reliable laptop keyboards, MagSafe, AirPort, this)

I'll have to hurry up and order a few I was planning on making for people around the holidays before it's gone.

Damnit.
I agree. I have been away for several weeks and have made 2 books in a week since I returned as I saw they were discontinuing. Of all the apps they suggest, it appears only one is available for purchase in Australia. NOT HAPPY!!!

Reactions: kmm610

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007

kmm610

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2018

Apple will discontinue its physical Photo Books printing service later this year, as spotted by 9to5Mac. Using Photo Books, macOS users can choose from pictures taken on an iPhone or iPad, synced to the Mac Photos app, and build books, cards, calendars, and prints that are then mailed to them.

apple-photo-books-mac.jpg

Now, a new message has been spotted in the Photos app on macOS 10.13.6 and states that final purchases for the built-in photo printing service will need to be placed by September 30, 2018. Afterwards, it appears that Mac users will have to opt for third-party companies like Shutterfly to craft physical books made from their digital photos.

Apple explains that users can integrate these third-party services into Photos with a Photos Project Extension downloaded from the Mac App Store. With these extensions, apps like Shutterfly can integrate photo printing services into Apple's own Photos app so users don't have to leave the app to build their photo books.

9to5-photo-books.jpg

Image via 9to5Mac

For classic landscape-style books, Apple sells softcover books starting at $9.99 in a medium size, and increasing to $49.99 in hardcover and extra large size. Calendars are $19.99 each, cards start at $0.99, and posters for panoramic shots are also available for $12.99-$17.99. These prices should remain intact until the service shutters in the fall.

Article Link: Apple Discontinuing Physical Photo Books Printing Service Later This Year
[doublepost=1540494015][/doublepost]very, very sad news... i used this all the time, and loved the quality of the books... has anyone tried another service with similar quality books?

David0518

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2018
New York
[doublepost=1540494015][/doublepost]very, very sad news... i used this all the time, and loved the quality of the books... has anyone tried another service with similar quality books?

I have been using Motif and they use the same printing service that Apple did to print their photo books. They had some bugs they fixed with the Mojave update. I've really enjoyed using Motif since the application will find my best photos and get rid of any duplicates. It's easy to move pages around and it even has different themes to create the photo books.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I have been using Motif and they use the same printing service that Apple did to print their photo books. They had some bugs they fixed with the Mojave update. I've really enjoyed using Motif since the application will find my best photos and get rid of any duplicates. It's easy to move pages around and it even has different themes to create the photo books.
Thanks for posting... do you know if Motif will work with Mavericks/iPhoto on an older Mac?

SC54HI

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Using an iMac with OS 10.13.6.

I have a PDF of a previously printed book using Photos. I would like to have another copy printed. I do NOT want any changes but want the same photos, layout & text. I most certainly do not want to completely redo the book using a third party app or recreate it in Photos for export via a third party app. I do have a PDF of the book as created in Photos and would like to use that file.

Can you send a PDF of the existing book to Motif (or any other the third party apps) and have it printed? I haven't been able to get a straight answer out of Motif or Mimeo yet but would appreciate knowing what other experiences others have had with these services.

Thanks in advance

SC54HI

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Update: finally got a straight answer from Motif.

Cannot use the PDF or Photos file but have to recreate the entire book in Motif. They claim they are updating the software to allow a direct export of Apple projects into Motif's software. Will believe that when I see it.

Reactions: HeadphoneAddict

David0518

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2018
New York
Update: finally got a straight answer from Motif.

Cannot use the PDF or Photos file but have to recreate the entire book in Motif. They claim they are updating the software to allow a direct export of Apple projects into Motif's software. Will believe that when I see it.

Thanks for the update that is good to know! It's possible if enough people request or ask about it then Motif will make it a priority for their next app update.

Reactions: SC54HI

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
What a bummer, stumbled on this as I was getting ready to create a gift for the holiday. Had bought a good number over time and was really part of the Mac just worked advantage...

Have watched so much stuff killed over the years, but this one really makes me sad, really a gut punch. Check out the latest reviews of the Photos print plugin replacement apps in the Mac App Store...(sort by latest) they are horrible, like really horrible (all 3 - Motif, Mimeo & Mpix).

Seems like we might need to go to web services to get the quality and functionality that is equivalent to what we had with Apple's integrated solution, another bummer. Looks like Shutterfly is the cheap good one but AdoramaPix looks the closest to Apples old stuff (with a little bit more) and was the recent choice by Tom’s hardware reviewing photo printing:

https://www.adoramapix.com/

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-photo-books,review-2651.html

Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Follow-up question: I still use iPhoto (can't give up the manual event splitting and most recent at top sorting)... does this mean they are going to release a "new" version of iPhoto with the Print ordering pieces ripped out?
LOL! Yeah, no new iPhoto versions coming out. The print ordering will just stop working.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Ordered a calendar from Mimeo Photos right after Thanksgiving . Thought I'd give them a try for the Christmas calendars I send off to relatives and friends each year .I didn't care for their templates , preferring to use the Apple one I've been using the last 10 years . So I sent a PDF as per their instructions here :
https://import.mimeophotos.com
Had to use a retired white macbook (10.6.8) and iPhoto to do the calendar's composition as Photos/Mojave wasn't cooperative
Anyway , the calendar came back Monday , looks just like the ones I used to get from Apple , save for a Mimeo logo on the back page where no one will see it , and a logo on the sleeve the calendar comes in .Color rendition on the photos used was as accurate as in the Apple branded products , binding is the same , as is the quality of the paper used . Same price , too:( .
Gave them an order for more based on this experience .
No idea if their prints or books are of equal quality.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Will Mimeo make the layout of the actual calendar part just like the old Apple versions? When I use the Photos Extension, there seems to be no option to change the grid layout and fonts for the calendar portion of it. I know you mentioned if you use an old version of Photos that it would work but was hoping to use the extension with Mojave to get the same result as the old Apple calendars

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
I tried to use the Photos Extension .My experience was similar to yours . Looking at the templates , I found one that , with a small amount of modification , promised to come pretty close to what I had been using . But it wouldn't let me change background colors , or alter the picture layout on the months pages to what I wanted . The extension just fought me every inch of the way , so I said the hell with it and resurrected the old machine for the project . Life is too short to have to deal with non cooperative software , maybe we're dealing with version one and it will get tweaked to be more responsive .
Having said all this , judging from the quality of the calendar I got ,if you are able to use one of the templates in the Extension the results should be of the same quality as the old Apple stuff.

Robert1954

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2019
What a shame! I just found the service recently and quickly made a project and placed an order, and voilà! Done! And the person received it ASAP and said it was great!!!

I'm going to have to make all my project over the summer and get them out fast.

I’ve been making iPhoto books for 7 years. I just ordered my first book through mimeo and was stunned with how they jacked up the price. The very same sized book I used to get from iPhoto for $130. now costs $190. From mimeo. A disgusting money grab so now I have to find a new place to get my photo books printed. What a disappointment. Plus... their app is missing several important aspects that the iPhoto app had.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I’ve been making iPhoto books for 7 years. I just ordered my first book through mimeo and was stunned with how they jacked up the price. The very same sized book I used to get from iPhoto for $130. now costs $190. From mimeo. A disgusting money grab so now I have to find a new place to get my photo books printed. What a disappointment. Plus... their app is missing several important aspects that the iPhoto app had.

Welcome to the new Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.