Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the discontinuation of the iMac Pro, Apple also appears to be discontinuing Space Gray "Magic" accessories that it sold separately alongside the iMac Pro. The iMac Pro was the only Space Gray Mac, and Apple designed special matching accessories for it.

magic-mouse-space-gray-discontinued.jpg

The Space Gray Magic Mouse 2, Magic Keyboard, and Magic Trackpad all now say "While supplies last" in small wording at the bottom of each product listing, which means that these accessories will be available for a limited time.

magickeyboardspacegray.jpg

When existing supplies of the Space Gray Magic Mouse 2, Magic Keyboard, and Magic Trackpad are exhausted, Apple will only have these accessories available in a silver color option.

magictrackpad.jpg

Following the 2017 release of the iMac Pro, Apple began offering standalone versions of the Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse 2, and Magic Trackpad 2 for customers who purchased the iMac Pro and wanted matching accessory options. Now that there is no longer a Space Gray iMac Pro available, Apple apparently does not plan to continue making the Space Gray peripherals.

spacegraymagicmouse.jpg

The new M1 iMac comes in seven different colors, complete with matching trackpads, mice, and keyboards, and right now, those accessories are only available when purchasing one of the new iMacs. It is not known if Apple eventually plans to sell the colorful Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, and Magic Keyboards on a standalone basis, but it's a future possibility. The iMac Pro accessories did not become available for purchase separately until several months after that machine was released, so we could see colored accessory options in the coming months.

Article Link: Apple Discontinuing Space Gray Mac Accessories Now That iMac Pro is Dead

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Best looking keyboard they’ve made. I assume they’ll be back when the 27” iMac comes out.
I agree, it's a really nice looking piece of hardware. I always wished they would release the smaller Magic Keyboard in Space Gray but for whatever reason they never did. I'd have bought it in a flash because the white keys get pretty dingy over time.

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Ugg, that probably means no space grey pro desktops with black bezels in the future? I prefer space grey over silver. I don't want a party decoration as my work machine....
They could absolutely still put out a space gray iMac Pro. The keyboard was bound to change if nothing else because they're doing TouchID in the new iMac keyboards.

It'll probably also those same weirdly rounded off corners the new iMac keyboard has. Not a fan of the look, myself.

SamRyouji

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
Hopefully this is the sign of darker version of iMac Pro (or whatever). Space Black / Jet Black / Slate, everyone? I personally would love to see Slate from the iPhone 5 series make a comeback.

Branmonkey

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2016
Englewood, CO
Glad I have these and decided to just use a beautiful monitor with the M1 Mac Mini... I worry too that we're moving to more colors with white bezels... I think those will be great for kids and education settings but not so much for pros. Hoping I'm wrong and the M2 iMacs are back in a variety of styles / ranges.

twolf2919

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014
I agree, it's a really nice looking piece of hardware. I always wished they would release the smaller Magic Keyboard in Space Gray but for whatever reason they never did. I'd have bought it in a flash because the white keys get pretty dingy over time.

Exactly my sentiment. I have no use for the numeric pad. The space gray keyboard/mouse would have gone great with my space-gray, (normally closed, under my external monitors) MBP.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Dang. I should have purchased the space gray magic mouse to go with my MBP instead of the silver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.