Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple planned to introduce a new $49 Apple Pencil this year that was compatible with iPhones, but scrapped the plans at the last minute, claims a sketchy new rumor coming out of Asia.

apple-pencil-red.jpg

According to a Weibo post, shared on Twitter by DuanRui, Apple allegedly intended to release the new Apple Pencil, codenamed "Maker" (or, more likely, "Marker") at its September 2022 event, and even went so far as to mass produce over one million units of the accessory, only to can its launch at the eleventh hour for unspecified reasons.

To cut costs, the device allegedly lacked pressure sensing technology or a rechargeable battery, and instead utilized an onboard chip to power the stylus through the iPad or iPhone screen, similar to how Samsung's S-Pen stylus works.

At $49, the unreleased Apple Pencil would have been significantly cheaper than the first-generation and second-generation Apple Pencil models, which are priced at $99 and $129, respectively.

Unfortunately, the source of the Apple Pencil rumor has no track record, so the claims need to be taken with a large pinch of salt. Furthermore, this isn't the first time we've heard rumors of an Apple Pencil being developed to work with iPhones, none of which have come to fruition.

Still, a battery-less Apple Pencil would pair well with the latest tenth-generation iPad, which comes with a USB-C port and requires an ungainly $9 Lightning dongle to work with the first-generation Apple Pencil. Again though, why Apple would kill plans for an accessory that had entered mass production is unclear.

If it really was a thing, and so many units were manufactured by Apple, then past history would suggest some units will eventually be leaked. Would you welcome an Apple Pencil for iPhone? Let us know in the comments.

Article Link: Apple Ditched Plan for $50 Apple Pencil With iPhone Support at the Last Minute, Claims Sketchy Rumor

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SFjohn

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
Yes, there are times during conversation/discussion with peers I feel like if I had a pencil or something I would've drawn things to explain them better. I use my finger which is very bad for writing/drawing on such a small area.

And yes, Samsung made the write decision to include one with their phone. Its neat.

Shirasaki

macrumors G5
May 16, 2015
Cancel the release at the last second while also enter mass production? Tim Cook would never do this unless he's completely blind about this decision.
This rumor is more fake than others. It just doesn't make sense. For example, if this thing enters mass production, why we never heard about any leak or see any sort of "unreleased" hardware about that pencil? If airpower prototype can be leaked, it wouldn't be hard to leak those pencils if there are thousands of them.
Just imagine what our ancestors – writing in cuneiform on clay tablets – would make of our modern glass tablets and silicon-powered styli! 😯
The modern capabilities are amazing, but the original essence is still there.
Because we never truly revolutionise how we do certain tasks, just do the same tasks a bit differently or more elegantly.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2004
I use my iPad Pro for everything dialysis related. All my notes about medications, blood pressures, fluid intake, etc goes into Goodnotes, which of course bounces to my iPhone via iCloud. I use the Goodnotes on my iPhone when I go grocery shopping, but that’s about it. I would have little or no need to ’create’ on my iPhone. So no, I would pass. just don’t need it and wouldn’t use it.

Tom

Last edited:
Reactions: RogerDoger2801

_apple_apple_

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2021
I think it's better to make the machine fix what you draw with your finger; by exposing bezier curve handles and/or automatically fixing penmanship. It already does the near-polygon-shape correction, just a couple more enhancements like that will make a stylus unnecessary.

I do wish you could do offset drawing though so your drawing tool is not visually in the way, or maybe draw in the air above the front-facing camera...

*EDIT*

I'm referring to non-art use cases; for art you definitely need something like the Apple Pencil.

citysnaps

macrumors G3
Oct 10, 2011
I'm sure the pencil idea was kicked around in early days. I'm happy it never came to fruition.

Similarly no doubt it has come up again from time to time. And I'm still pleased it never gets any traction.

darngooddesign

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Irrelevant example since it was never mass produced.

Not sure why people keep bringing up AirPower as a viable product. It was obviously canceled because MagSafe uses magnets for alignment, that and they couldn't get it working, so there was no reason for Apple to make a "place things anywhere" charging pad.

Last edited:

Koni17

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2016
If this is indeed true, someone would have for sure found hints of the device in one of the iOS beta versions.

Reactions: PauloSera
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.