Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in 2017, Sony was planning to launch the PlayStation Now cloud gaming service on mobile phones, according to a leaked document sourced from the Epic v. Apple trial by The Verge.

playstation-now.jpg

An Apple document referenced an unannounced "mobile extension of an existing streaming service for PlayStation users, streaming access to over 450+ PS3 games to start, with PS4 games to follow."

No such mobile device expansion ever materialized. PS Now is still available, offering PS4, PS3, and PS2 games that can be played on PS5, PS4, or Windows PCs, but there has never been a version for iOS or Android, nor has PlayStation made it available for the Mac.

Apple may have been discussing PS Now because at the time, it had started work on the Apple Arcade gaming service that ultimately launched in 2019.

Sony was early to cloud gaming with PS Now. It launched in 2014, years before its competitors were working on cloud gaming offerings. GEForce NOW followed in 2015 in a beta capacity, but Google Stadia didn't launch until 2019 and Xbox Cloud Gaming didn't come out until 2020.

It's not clear why Sony never followed through with a mobile version of PS Now, as the software would have launched before Apple introduced strict cloud gaming rules in the App Store with the debut of Google Stadia and Xbox Cloud Gaming. The Verge speculates that Sony decided it wasn't worth taking on Apple at the time, or that Sony may have decided to focus on console sales instead.

Sony does have Remote Play for accessing Sony games on various devices, but Remote Play requires a PlayStation console, while PS Now does not. Rumors suggest that Sony could in the future unveil an updated cloud gaming service to rival Xbox Game Pass, but it is unclear if the new service will come to mobile devices. If so, Sony will likely need to take the path that Microsoft and Google took, offering a web-based solution on iPhones and iPads.

Article Link: Apple Document Suggests Sony Considered Bringing PS Now Gaming Service to Mobile Devices

• Haha
Reactions: sinoka56

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Said no real gamer, ever.
Depending on if these deals ever went through or not... Imagine actually having a real use for all of that hardware power in that 13" iPad Pro, minus fumbling with touch controls of course

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
It's simple. Just bring PS Now to web browser just like Xbox xCloud and you can play all of their games on Mac without any issues. Yup, this happens because of Apple blocking them on App Store so they found a way around.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I'm getting real tired of Apple saying what I can and cannot put on a device I paid $1500 for.
If they want to give permission and demand a toll collection on everything I use on it, maybe they should give the hardware away.
you do know that you have choices, right? And you should know what you are getting into with Apple ...

kalafalas

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
California
Wouldn’t these companies prefer people buy their home consoles and use remote play anyway? That’s what I do, works really well, especially on my home network.

• Love
Reactions: rezwits

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Wouldn’t these companies prefer people buy their home consoles and use remote play anyway? That’s what I do, works really well, especially on my home network.
Yes, that's basically it. That said, those same companies know that mobile $$$ is now larger than console $$$.

Reactions: rezwits

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
WOW! they blew it twice!

once with Microsoft mobile games.

Now with Sony.

And the APPLE CAR keeps losing people, But Because Tim Cook wants his last major success to be an APPLE CAR......

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
First, it was Microsoft now it’s Sony lol. Said it earlier Apple gaming is way too good. Apple is untouchable. Apple gaming is on ? ?
If by "Too Good" you mean mediocre, FTP "Freemium" mobile junk you can only play for 2 minutes before you're bored to tears then yes.

If, however, you meant AAA-titles with high-quality graphics, endless replayability made by the best gaming studios on the planet then I'm sorry to inform you that your statement is laughably incorrect

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
WOW! they blew it twice!

once with Microsoft mobile games.

Now with Sony.

And the APPLE CAR keeps losing people, But Because Tim Cook wants his last major success to be an APPLE CAR......

Sounds like everything is working as planned.

When thinking about preserving the vitality and viability of the App Store, you ideally want to keep giving users a reason to go into the App Store. Game streaming apps run counter to that paradigm, because they have the risk of being mini app stores in their own right (ie: download app once, and then just go into that app because it has all the games you need and never go back into the App Store again). Kinda like how people used IE to download chrome.

Game streaming could fizzle out, or it could turn out to be the next big thing that Apple realises they cannot afford to ignore, but they will want it implemented on their terms nevertheless. My guess is that Apple isn’t just sitting on this matter, but what their final solution is, that’s the million dollar question.

DummyFool

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2020
They don't care about giving a great product to customers. That's the case with most companies that have a captive market that buys their product anyway.

For the record I do own a MacBook Air and a couple of iPads but I am also into windows.

Reactions: zwi

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
Not at all, I've bought everything from Xserves to iMacs to iPads and iPhones, probably easily 150k of Apple purchases over 20 years. But I am sick and tired of this bull----
There are many other options besides Apple for your money, and some open platforms at that. If your truly fed up with Apples’s Walled Garden, leave it (many have). Just be careful what you wish for. I love Apple for what it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.