Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

For those who participated in the beta, did it run better that the GM?(differences in speed/battery)

• Yes, betas were better.

Votes: 54 24.8%
  • No, same performance, or GM is better.

Votes: 164 75.2%

• Total voters

adham7897

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
I've been using the iOS 11 betas since the first one, and immediately updating when a newer one is released.
My iPhone 6 was slow on the first one, but the third beta showed iOS 10-like performance.
Now, I had amazing performance and battery life on the last beta (the one before the GM).
IMMEDIATELY after updating to the GM I noticed lag and very bad battery life.
I just can't understand how betas can be BETTER than the final release.
Does that mean Apple is intentionally slowing down older iPhones?!
At least also slow down betas next time, so that you don't get caught.
**Don't tell me the GM is "still indexing", I installed it the moment it got released to bets testers.**
I also saw some other users saying the exact thing, that betas are running better the the final version.
I would like MacRumors to do speed, battery tests, and write an article about this, just to see what Apple could respond.

adham7897

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Some people have some issues with the final or the GM or betas while others don't. Some have some issues with some but not other betas or final versions. Etc.
The GM is slower than OLDER betas every year. Happened to me on iOS 10..
Can't be a coincidence.

Reactions: Rivvvers

Jake2017

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
I've been using the iOS 11 betas since the first one, and immediately updating when a newer one is released.
My iPhone 6 was slow on the first one, but the third beta showed iOS 10-like performance.
Now, I had amazing performance and battery life on the last beta (the one before the GM).
IMMEDIATELY after updating to the GM I noticed lag and very bad battery life.
I just can't understand how betas can be BETTER than the final release.
Does that mean Apple is intentionally slowing down older iPhones?!
At least also slow down betas next time, so that you don't get caught.
**Don't tell me the GM is "still indexing", I installed it the moment it got released to bets testers.**
I also saw some other users saying the exact thing, that betas are running better the the final version.
I would like MacRumors to do speed, battery tests, and write an article about this, just to see what Apple could respond.

I am totally with you on this one. Just made a post on this. My iphone 6 plus, is crippled by this "upgrade". Its one of 2 things, incredibly slobby programing, or programmed hardware "death" to nudge the consumer to get new gear even though i got mine less than 2 years ago.

I am incredibly disapointed by this, Apple is taking a giant piss on their trusted followers, and I will really consider what route to take in the future. Apple products are to darn expensive for a 2 year product cycle.

I have been a firm believer in the Macbook Pro line of computers, precisely for that reason. They are to expensive compared to pc counterparts BUT they tend to last longer. For the Iphone it seems more and more that the opposite is the truth....

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
edit: no idea. it seems they open up at the same speed once you have the app open in the background. not really sure what the issue is

adham7897

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
I am totally with you on this one. Just made a post on this. My iphone 6 plus, is crippled by this "upgrade". Its one of 2 things, incredibly slobby programing, or programmed hardware "death" to nudge the consumer to get new gear even though i got mine less than 2 years ago.

I am incredibly disapointed by this, Apple is taking a giant piss on their trusted followers, and I will really consider what route to take in the future. Apple products are to darn expensive for a 2 year product cycle.

I have been a firm believer in the Macbook Pro line of computers, precisely for that reason. They are to expensive compared to pc counterparts BUT they tend to last longer. For the Iphone it seems more and more that the opposite is the truth....
100% agree.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
100% agree.

I agree as well. If you've been iOS long enough, it's obvious it slows down. Philosophy might change with the X though. A phone that expensive will be expected to last which might be evidenced by the big jump in performance in the A11. They may be giving it that 3-4 year headroom people would expect from a $1000 device. Just speculation though.

Reactions: Rivvvers

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I agree as well. If you've been iOS long enough, it's obvious it slows down. Philosophy might change with the X though. A phone that expensive will be expected to last which might be evidenced by the big jump in performance in the A11. They may be giving it that 3-4 year headroom people would expect from a $1000 device. Just speculation though.
It seems like it's more of a question of it being slowed down on purpose on older devices vs. it's not being something intentional and simply something that comes with the territory for at least some (even with newer devices) when there are major x.0 releases involved.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Wait, you mean new software doesn't run as well on older hardware? No way. Come on. This silly argument is pushed around every single year. Its not a conspiracy theory. Newer software uses more resources than older software, therefore older hardware cannot keep up. iOS 10 vs. iOS 11 on my 7Plus was pretty much identical besides the occasional stutter from bugs. Even my Air 2 running iOS 11 is running just fine compared to iOS 10, again minus the polish that iOS 11 will eventually get.

jhall8

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2017
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Wait, you mean new software doesn't run as well on older hardware? No way. Come on. This silly argument is pushed around every single year. Its not a conspiracy theory. Newer software uses more resources than older software, therefore older hardware cannot keep up. iOS 10 vs. iOS 11 on my 7Plus was pretty much identical besides the occasional stutter from bugs. Even my Air 2 running iOS 11 is running just fine compared to iOS 10, again minus the polish that iOS 11 will eventually get.
Agreed! Also, this one of at least three threads on this topic. #TheDepartmentOfRedundancyDepartment

adham7897

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Actually, the last beta ran very well on "older hardware" but the GM didn't..
Read before you comment.
I said the last beta had good performance and battery life. I didn't say iOS 11 is bad, I said the GM is.
Explain to me how the last beta ran so well but the GM couldn't. I don't see "new features" between these two, so explain it.
If iOS 11 is slower due to new features like you say, then betas should be slow as well, since they contain these features.
[doublepost=1506378330][/doublepost]
It's been solid since beta 4 for me.
Are you on the GM right now? Or a previous beta?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Read before you comment.
I said the last beta had good performance and battery life. I didn't say iOS 11 is bad, I said the GM is.
Explain to me how the last beta ran so well but the GM couldn't. I don't see "new features" between these two, so explain it.
If iOS 11 is slower due to new features like you say, then betas should be slow as well, since they contain these features.
The "explanation" is that there are people who have had the opposite experience, or didn't really have any issues with the latest beta or the GM/final, etc.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Read before you comment.

I had nothing but problems with the betas. Check my post history. I was very vocal. GM is night and day over the betas.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Read before you comment.

Except that reasoning is flawed because as betas progress more and more features/background processes are added or turned on; meaning it is common that older devices bog down more than newer going up the scale from older to newer.

Experiences also vary widely between beta versions if you've kept up around here in the past few years. Betas are always a very poor baseline to judge anything.

There is no conspiracy here, OS versions progress as optimized first for newer hardware and if possible compatible with older hardware the best that Apple can. If not possible to a certain degree or level that Apple chooses and is comfortable with giving to the public, then upgrades for that device is dropped. It is the natural progression of technology.

If there was some uber conspiracy here EVERYONE with an older device would see the slowdown which simply does not hold up against the evidence (users posting, voting, etc)

Is iOS11 optimized for a 3 year old iphone 6? Of course not, no one would deny that. But go see what a 3 year old Android device runs in terms of official support (not rooted). Say a Galaxy S4, Note 3, or LG G2 all from 2013 same as the iphone 6. Android 5.0.1, and Android 8.0 is rolling out to the newest devices. Would you rather have some iOS11 features/support or left back on say iOS9?

Last edited:

JohnnyW2K1

Suspended
Jan 27, 2016
London, UK
There is no conspiracy here, OS versions progress as optimized first for newer hardware and if possible compatible with older hardware the best that Apple can. If not possible to a certain degree or level that Apple chooses and is comfortable with giving to the public, then upgrades for that device is dropped. It is the natural progression of technology?

How do you explain the video above?

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
How do you explain the video above?

Based on the phones having even different wallpapers, how are we sure they are using the exact same setup? A clean phone vs. one with various apps running and almost full in storage will behave differently. When trying to compare specific hardware or software, you have to isolate the variables. Doesn't look like the case here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.