Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has added banners to its United States website and iTunes Store in an effort to encourage its customers to donate to those affected by Hurricane Harvey.

hurricane-harvey-apple-donations.jpg

Similar to past relief efforts, users can choose to donate $5, $10, $25, $50, $100, or $200, and Apple will transfer 100 percent of the proceeds to the American Red Cross, which is providing relief efforts for people in the path of Hurricane Harvey. All donations will be processed as normal iTunes purchases through a connected Apple ID.

Apple CEO Tim Cook tweeted about the donations early this morning, as rescue workers in Houston and other parts of southeast Texas attempt to help residents trapped in their homes by "catastrophic flooding." Harvey made landfall late Friday night as a Category 4 hurricane and has since been downgraded to a tropical storm, which is expected to stay in the region over the next few days.

Prayers for Texas and all those affected by #HurricaneHarvey. Join us in the relief effort by donating: https://t.co/QLBMFOjaDG - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) August 27, 2017
Apple is known to create donation pages across its various storefronts in the wake of natural disasters. In the past, Apple has collected Red Cross relief funds for the British Columbia Wildfire, Hurricane Matthew, the 2016 Louisiana floods, the 2015 Nepal earthquake, and many more.

Article Link: Apple Accepting Donations for Hurricane Harvey Relief Efforts

Reactions: DEXTERITY

zaphodb3

macrumors member
May 3, 2015
They say that one is lucky if 50% of the money one donates gets to the cause. That is why I prefer to donate "stuff" instead of cash.

This isn't a foolproof method either. For one, it's hard to be sure whether 'stuff' gets to the people who need it most just like with cash resources, unless you're hand-delivering it to someone in need. For another, an organization has a better idea of what's urgently needed *now*, and money is a more flexible donation in serving changing needs.

norbinhouston

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Houston
Thanks for the help. I can’t describe how devastating the flooding is in Houston. Most went to bed last night thinking we survived Harvey just fine but then it started raining. So a lot of us were surprised to find water in our houses when we woke up! Some one posted we got a years worth in 24 hours!

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
Before I donate, anyone know ther percentage the Red Cross actually gives out of every dollar?

I know from one disaster event in Japan where money was collected here in Austria, and I know from first hand that not one cent arrived in Japan.

For such disaster events here in Austria (Europe) the Austrian government does all the work, financing and management. No donations needed. I love my government for this. I don't see why privately held organizations should manage such events, it's just a big money machine tricking the gullible good hearted people. After all why do we pay up to 50% taxes???

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Red Cross is pretty good, not perfect at 90%: https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3277

That said, for a massive effort like this, the infrastructure of a huge charity like Red Cross is valuable.
Exactly. We're hurting down here in Houston and the Red Cross has already been able to set up at least one shelter at a local high school. I know there are better charities out there, but down here we just can't be too picky right now. It's already the worst flooding event in Houston's modern history, and we have several more days of heavy rain to go.

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
Not sure about the percentage of donations going to the actual cause but I know every time I see a report about a fire or other emergency affecting people there are Red Cross people on the scene offering help.....

A donation to the Red Cross is probably better than donating money to one of the Mega Churches.

to my point.....

Joel Osteen’s Houston Megachurch Blasted For Closing As Thousands Are Displaced

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...aa4e4b0821444c513d8?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.