Apple Drops Bing Search Engine Results for Siri and Spotlight in Favor of Google

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Roadstar macrumors 65816

Roadstar

Privacy concerns aside, I welcome this move. While I'm under the impression that Bing has actually become quite OK in the US, it's been more or less a disaster elsewhere. For after all, when searching for something, I'd prefer getting actually relevant results.

2. Tzuten macrumors 6502

Sure hope they don't buy it! They would rip out everything thats good about it, namely your privacy.

3. HackDaBox macrumors regular

HackDaBox

Yahoo! great news I love Google ( sorry I couldn't help it )

4. Tech198, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017

Tech198 macrumors G5

I find this kind of odd. Coming from a privacy first. I dunno what to think. but whatever it is, its probably a good move.

Just not a reason i can think of right now..

DuckDuckGo is designed to protect our privacy *more*.... That wouldn't mean it would 100%, but I would trust it more than Google. But Apple purchasing it,,, Not in your life, i can't imagine a world where Apple is no longer 'Apple.'

5. dazz87 macrumors 65816

dazz87

stop trolling............"More relevant search results than Google"

6. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

Quick test. Who said the following, Google or Apple?

We may collect information such as occupation, language, zip code, area code, unique device identifier, referrer URL, location, and the time zone where a product is used so that we can better understand customer behavior and improve our products, services, and advertising.

7. PizzaBoxStyle macrumors 6502

Agreed on that, but I'm still using Bing as my default search engine because of AMP.

8. allanfries macrumors 6502a

allanfries

Installed as per usual. However my messages quit shortly after. I did notice that Bonjour doesn't seem to be present anymore. Not on safari either. I recall it had something to do with iMessage in the early days. I assume its not relevant anymore. Other than that this update seems to be working OK. So far.

9. niji Contributor

niji

therefore Siri on mac using macOS High Sierra won't be able to used in China?
    was it either / or only Bing or Google before?

10. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

She used to give me a Wikipedia result of "the president", also there are many others who had the same results. Videos on YouTube too..

11. jovada macrumors member

http://ecosia.org! Ok, it's powered by Bing, but they're using their profits to plant trees!

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm not trolling, I'm simply more experienced than you when it comes to doing lots of searches.

Seriously try other search engines for once, I'm not the only one echoing this sentiment.

13. dazz87 macrumors 65816

dazz87

Okay you want a cookie?

14. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

No, just for you to stop accusing people of trolling on a subject you know nothing about.

15. dazz87 macrumors 65816

dazz87

i know some down right hate Google so much but please stop lying that bing is a better search engine than Google.............

16. fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

Finally. Bing's results suck. I only use it to search for Google.

17. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Translation: Microsoft was not willing to pay enough. Google was.

18. vault macrumors regular

Hopefully that means Siri and additional Spotlight features coming to more markets, as the Bing backend was the limiting factor. Google's "smart" features work pretty much everywhere, thanks to huge Android penetration.

19. Bacillus, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017

Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

You completely neglect that GoogleMaps is offering the geographic index/context to its vast resources that Apple will never have (the planet's largest infobases about businesses, architecture, important buildings, tourist attractions etc. etc.)
    While Apple certainly has its own pitch around graphical representation and travel, offering global information is not their core business, and they can't win. So better stay out.

20. thekeyring macrumors 68040

I think one of the reasons Siri feels so behind Google, is that when Siri displays web results it feels like Siri has failed.

If you ask Siri to "tell me about the new iPhone" it will recommend Apple's website and throw up a link. If you ask Siri to "tell me about the new Samsung phone" it will perform a web search which includes Samsung's website as the first result.

In a way, it gives you the same information. But web results in Siri feel like a "fail safe". Does Google Now distinguish between an instance of understanding vs not understanding at all?

21. Wonder Warthog macrumors member

Wonder Warthog

It's a shame you can't. I've been ditching everything Google, at least in my private life, since I've started to hate their guts more and more, but now it seems I'll be switching web searches off for High Sierra entirely. I'm not using Siri, so no loss there.

[​IMG]

22. decafjava macrumors 68040

decafjava

Just like Duck Duck Go, you can search Google through DDG and the search is encrypted and anonymized to protect your privacy and also (hopefully Siri will do the same) keep you out of the search bubble.

23. 0003939 Suspended

Yeah, I am kind of gutted to not have the option to opt out of Google's search. Meanwhile, I took the whole of Saturday painstakingly to migrate my emails out of Google, and here I have Apple forcing me to use Google with Spotlight search. I cannot say to ditch Spotlight search, after all this is the part of macOS I use to open apps.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2017 ---
    Well, I think Little Snitch can see the communication of Spotlight to which Google service they are using, encrypted one or not.

24. Wonder Warthog macrumors member

Wonder Warthog

Just uncheck the parts I marked red in the Spotlight preferences screenshot and you're good. Google search will only replace the parts that used to be powered by Bing, it won't replace ALL of Spotlight, only the online suggestions part.

25. bjoswald macrumors regular

bjoswald