Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
A subjective ranking from a spotty source. The reviews that emphasize more objective things rate the MBP higher.

Speaking of objective things, the new MBP 15" with 512 GB is $100 more than the comparable 2015 model, and for that you get by far the most significant upgrade in the MBP since the retina screen. Not a bad deal from that perspective.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
A subjective ranking from a spotty source. The reviews that emphasize more objective things rate the MBP higher.

Speaking of objective things, the new MBP 15" with 512 GB is $100 more than the comparable 2015 model, and for that you get by far the most significant upgrade in the MBP since the retina screen. Not a bad deal from that perspective.

Your comparison isn't any better. Apple is selling a 2 year old laptop at today's prices. That is inexcusable.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Your comparison isn't any better. Apple is selling a 2 year old laptop at today's prices. That is inexcusable.
Nonsense, unless you're referring to the 2015 MBP. Apple used the most up-to-date components available, which weren't available two years ago. Not an excuse, just a plain fact.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009

Yes, and flash/SSD prices are a fraction of what they were in 2012 (first rMBP). 256GB on a $2400 notebook?

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Wasn't comparing to 2012, of course. It's $2600 for the base with 512 GB, $100 more than the 2015 with 512 and dGPU was when it came out. The 2016 has a better screen, better speakers, better dGPU, better SSD, better battery life for light to moderate use, better external monitor support, better size and weight, Touch ID, and runs cooler and more quietly. That doesn't include the more controversial improvements: the touch bar, larger track pad, new keyboard (that's actually pretty popular), more powerful and flexible ports.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Yes, and flash/SSD prices are a fraction of what they were in 2012 (first rMBP).

Not all SSDs are born equal. Compare pricing of a Samsung 850 EVO SATA to a Samsung 960 Pro NVMe. Two completely different tiers in performance and pricing. Guess which one Apple uses in the 2016?

You might as well be comparing pricing for a 1TB 5400RPM HDD with a 1TB SATA SSD with that argument.

Apple don't use crappy SSDs in their machines.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think people who are looking to spend upwards of two to three thousand dollars are not happy with the Apple's offerings. Yes its subjective, but then so isn't buying decisions. People are not happy with the current model and the volume and veracity of negativity that has emanated due to this release has reached apple's ears. I don't know what they'll do about it, but clearly its a vexing problem for them, otherwise why would they suddenly hold a media powwow with some bloggers to try a positive picture on their desire to produce macs that are aimed at professionals.
[doublepost=1491907069][/doublepost]
Apple don't use crappy SSDs in their machines.
No, they're able to squeeze amazing speeds out of their SSDs, its like the touchpads they have the best in the market. I do seriously question the ginormous trackpad in the 15" MBP. I've seen too many people complain that it gets in he way more then it helps but the SSD, its definitely one of, if not the best.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
People are not happy with the current model and the volume and veracity of negativity that has emanated due to this release has reached apple's ears. I don't know what they'll do about it, but clearly its a vexing problem for them, otherwise why would they suddenly hold a media powwow with some bloggers to try a positive picture on their desire to produce macs that are aimed at professionals.

I think most of the complaints Apple were addressing referred to the Mac Pro/iMac. I'm not sure the MacBook Pro is a bad machine at all and most people using one think it's the best MBP yet. Performance wise, it's by far the best if you're using Apple's Pro Apps.

Mac Pro and iMac though, definitely overdue and it's good they had a media event to alleviate any concerns.

Reactions: Sanpete

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think most of the complaints Apple were addressing referred to the Mac Pro/iMac. I'm not sure the MacBook Pro is a bad machine at all and most people using one think it's the best MBP yet. Performance wise, it's by far the best if you're using Apple's Pro Apps.
agreed, but as reported in the news thread, it was the complaints of the MBP that finally pushed Apple to face the issues about the professional customers being very unhappy.

Apparently, the negative response to the MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, which many complained was not oriented towards pro users, was a major factor.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I love the new keyboard. After a day or two, I find it way better to type one then on previous rMBP. But the quality of the keyboard is complete trash. I have swapped two MBP15 models because of the stuck keys. And asked a refund at the end.

There are a lot of other problems. Especially with external display and sleep (LG 5K). And a lot of graphic glitches. Some of them have been fixed obviously.

And battery isn't better then on MBP 2015. Not even close. I didn't have battery problems, but couldn't get pass 5.5h mark no matter how I used the laptop. My 2014 MBP can go about 7-8h without any problems. And the battery cycle count on that machine is more then 400.

Yes the screen is better. Yes the SSD speeds are awesome. But rubbish keyboard and a lot of 'small' glitches and problems = no go from me. Especially with the price tag that Apple wants. I have no problems in paying a premium price. I always use premium products, from kitchen sink, cars to my computing needs. But when I do pay premium price, I don't want to deal with these problems.

I never had to deal with those problems before. Apple needs to create a way better machine in the next update. In all fronts.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Yes, at how unhappy many people are with Apple's latest offerings.

For every user who is disappointed with the new laptops, there are at least five others who either like them or don't have a strong opinion. Its just became very popular to bash Apple, especially after they said that cylinder Mac Pro design was a dead end.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The negatively actually came out with the 2016 MBP, people were not happy about that at all. People have been complaining non-stop for 3 years about the new Mac Pro and apple didn't do anyhting

The people were also not happy with the retina MBP. Nothing has changed.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Evidently something has changed, as Apple has done an unprecedented thing, buy apologizing. Plus while some folks didn't (or don't) like the rMBP the volume and veracity of the negativity from many of Apple most ardent followers, and customers is something that took Apple by surprise. New models always leave some prior apple customers behind, but this release it seemed more of a ground swell, rather then some folks here and there.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
If from the start the mbp had no battery usage issues, or gpu glitches or some keyboard issues i think customers would be very happy. Only today i see the battery is on par with 9-10 hours, no more glitches no more blowing speakers thanks to bootcamp audio drivers

agaskew

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009

Well, Apple's ranking in this particular annual roundup certainly has. From first to fifth, ouch.

Fingers crossed that like the Mac Pro, Apple will sit down and think about how they can improve things on the MBP front.

Reactions: tubeexperience

niploteksi

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2016
agreed, but as reported in the news thread, it was the complaints of the MBP that finally pushed Apple to face the issues about the professional customers being very unhappy.

People keep typing professionally on them!

You are completely right and I agree that Apple has bee ignoring customers for years. Hopefully this will change

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Evidently something has changed, as Apple has done an unprecedented thing, buy apologizing.

That was about an unrelated matter though. They were talking about the design of the Mac Pro (I really like it still btw, but it makes sense that it can't support a more powerful GPU).

Plus while some folks didn't (or don't) like the rMBP the volume and veracity of the negativity from many of Apple most ardent followers, and customers is something that took Apple by surprise.

Again, that is not what I see. Whom I see complaining about the 2016 MBP are mostly people who are resistant to change or have unrealistic expectation often combined with lack of technical knowledge (remember the complains about no Kaby Lake CPUs in 2016 or omission of Nvidia graphics?). My perception might be wrong though. I certainly agree that 2016 models were fairly polarised. But they are also the most forward-thinking and risk-taking laptop to be released in the last few years, IMO.
]
[doublepost=1491914941][/doublepost]
Well, Apple's ranking in this particular annual roundup certainly has. From first to fifth, ouch.

That has more to do with subjective judgements of the website staff. I have no idea why they gave Apple low innovation scores (almost everything about the 2016 MBP is innovative), while giving companies like Dell high innovation scores (Dell literally didn't do anything new in last two years at least).

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
The current MacBook lineup and its pricing / value per $, is in the worst shape since Steve Jobs’s passing.

Exactly correct.

CPU ever-so-slightly faster, same RAM, same storage, worst keyboard ever, trackpad that can't reject extraneous input, emoji toy bar, 25% smaller battery, etc., and for what? To be thin?

What a complete joke. The only thing more pathetic are the shills still trying to defend the indefensible.

No surprise Apple fell. Surprised it wasn't farther.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.