Apple Drops Prices on USB-C Adapters

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 4, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

To make it easier for customers who purchased a new MacBook Pro to make the transition to USB-C, Apple has dropped the prices on all of its USB-C adapters by $6 to $20.

The simple USB-C to USB Adapter, formerly priced at $19, is now $9, while the more expensive USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter, formerly $69, is now available for $49. Even Apple's newly released Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter has seen a price drop from $49 to $29.

[​IMG]

A full list of prices on the adapters in the United States is below:

- USB-C to USB Adapter - Was $19, now $9
    - Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Was $49, now $29
    - USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Was $69, now $49
    - USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter - Was $69, now $49
    - USB-C to Lightning Cable (1m) - Was $25, now $19
    - USB-C to Lightning Cable (2m) - Was $35, now $29

Apple is also dropping the prices on all third-party USB-C peripherals available from Apple,com and Apple retail stores. USB-C accessories will be discounted by about 25 percent, with some accessories, such as SanDisk's USB-C SD card reader, seeing a steeper $20 discount, dropping the price from $49 to $29.

Apple's price cut on USB-C adapters and accessories may assuage customers who have been dissatisfied with the high price of the MacBook Pro coupled with the need to buy a wide range of adapters to use the new notebook with older peripherals. Apple's lower prices also make its adapters more competitive with the wide range of third-party adapters available on the market. Apple explained the pricing cut in a statement that was given to The Verge:
    Apple did not mention a solution for customers who have already purchased adapters to use alongside their new MacBook Pros, but recent purchases can still be returned to the Apple Store and repurchased at the new lower price.

Update: According to MacRumors reader Philip, Apple will refund the price difference for customers who have already purchased adapters for their MacBook Pros. Customers who still have orders pending will also automatically see a price drop.

Article Link: Apple Drops Prices on USB-C Adapters

2. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

3. Derekuda macrumors 6502

Derekuda

HAH!! New Macbook Pro selling well... MY @$$!!!! I bet this is some sort of tactic to help people rationalize buying a Macbook because its "not that much more" for a few adapters.

4. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

they have milked enough money from the early adapters... ahahahahahhaha

5. PieTunes macrumors regular

PieTunes

A price drop on the new MacBook Pro itself would have been a great way to help people move to the latest technology and peripherals, as well as accelerate the growth of this new ecosystem.

6. Menopause macrumors 6502a

Menopause

From insanely overpriced to surprisingly overpriced. Thanks Tim! ☺️

7. vertical smile macrumors 68000

vertical smile

Someone called this in a thread a few days ago.

Well, I am sure this is really good news for many people.

8. jjjoseph macrumors 6502

Do you ever feel like somebody is watching you!! Apple has stayed MUM about the MacBook Pro Backlash, this is their official comment.

9. LukasValine macrumors regular

LukasValine

Apple should really include some of these in the box. It would definitely make the transition less jarring.

10. arggg14 macrumors 6502

11. Derekuda macrumors 6502

Derekuda

Does anyone else feel like it's complete bull crap that that Apple embraces USB-C on macs, but still forces lightning port on the phones when the standard for all new phones is in fact, USB-C.

12. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

And shipping has slipped to 1-3 months on some critical dongles...

It just works! In the Spring! Merry Christmas!

[​IMG]

13. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

14. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Throughout the end of the year? If they realize that this is such an issue, they should make it permanent.

15. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Good move. The story becomes about pushing the transition to USB-C instead of trying to profit from it.

16. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

The iPhone 7 is a month old. USB-C is this month's connector. You need a dongle.

17. 2457282 Suspended

This is good news for all those that buy a portable device and then want to chain it down and connect a million things to it. Hurray!!!

/s

18. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

Lipstick on a pig. Reducing prices on dongles won't change the fact that their computers are trash.

19. flyinmac, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016

flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

It's a start. Ideally we wouldn't need so many adapters to plug in daily use items.

But, one can easily see that Apple is hoping that reducing the adapter prices will help them sell more MacBook Pro machines, which have a greater profit per unit.

Their reasoning is pure PR spin. They now realize that they've made some huge tradeofffs with the design, and hope that if they sell us the adapters cheap enough, that it won't hurt the computer's sales too much.

Sadly, this update makes it very easy to envision plugging an adapter into the computer, and another adapter into that adapter, followed by another adapter, which finally enables your device to be plugged in.

20. jjiangweilan macrumors 6502

jjiangweilan

Ok I am going to return the one I ordered days before

21. Derekuda macrumors 6502

Derekuda

Sorry, but if your not using wireless by now, i have no sympathy for you. DO you also wash your dishes by hand instead of using a device called a dishwasher?? LOL :p

22. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Agreed! If they claim USB C is the future, then support it on all Apple devices. We'll probably see it on an iPhone when "USB D" is about to be released. :D

23. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Wow, saving Apple customers literally dozens of dollars. This is huge!

Still more expensive than buying third party attachments. And the white color doesn't go as well with either the laptop or the attachments. I'd suggest people still buy a third party dongle/adapter.

24. Greg B macrumors newbie

I received my USB-C to USB two days ago from them. I wonder if they'll refund me the difference?

25. Duane Martin macrumors regular

Duane Martin

I wonder if those of us who ordered a couple cables when we ordered our new computers on the first day will get a refund. I will follow up with Apple and let the forum know.

BTW I have made my living in film and television for over 20 years, seen a lot of changes in formats, cables, and connectors, and am really looking forward to my new MBP. Hopefully Avid will get support for Media Composer in Sierra before my computer arrives.