Apple Drops Prices on USB-C Adapters

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 4, 2016.

1. alexbragdon macrumors newbie

I think they messed up and applied the 25% third party discount to all USB-C devices. Including the new 4K UltraFine.

Attached Files:

2. DaveOP macrumors 65816

I ordered this, got an email saying it was going to deliver in early December, and then it arrived two days ago. YMMV

3. ABCDEF-Hex macrumors 6502

ABCDEF-Hex

Just ordered the LG 4K -- $524.00
    Thunderbolt adapter - $29.00

4. MallardDuck macrumors regular

Bingo. if they'd rolled them back to last years prices, I'd probably have re-ordered. But they aren't worth the increased price.

5. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I'm cackling!!!!! That gave me a much needed laugh. It's so true though.

6. Labeno macrumors regular

Labeno

This is not Apple like. I wonder if they are not getting the expected MBP sales and the dongle price reduction is just an experiment to see if it increases MBP sales. I had my heart set on getting a new MBP but the price is just ridiculous. Looks like computers are becoming a niche product which may mean prices will never come down. Hopefully they allow iPads to be used for software development someday.

7. Kulfon macrumors regular

I seriously believe that dongles and adaptors is a very signifficant business for Apple. Customers just hear a Marketing BS on how important they are. Milking the same cow to the absolute maximum!

8. lyngo macrumors 6502

9. DaveOP macrumors 65816

Yeah, because nobody uses these in an enterprise environment, where we have to plug into multiple networks/domains and having a few hard wires is much easier.

10. tennisproha macrumors 6502a

It should really be free, considering how much you're paying for the MacBook. Just like the lightning to 3.5mm adapter, they should have a USB-C to all others adapter and include it for free.

11. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

This should of been included in the box.. Apple feels a little guilty by dropping the price.. A company this greedy can't have a viable future

12. iGeek2014 macrumors 68000

Here in the U.K. the discount is good through December 31, 2016.

13. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

They've reacted precisely because of forums like this. This forum is typical of most reactions to this launch.

14. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

Rossman is awesome, i've watched many of his videos. I'll give this a look, but i expect him to tear Apple a new one.
    You say that as if my complaints aren't warranted.

15. Kulfon macrumors regular

Well, the price is ridiculous only in case of Apple.

16. TSM macrumors member

Card slot: cumbersome.
    Dongle lot: nice to foster.

17. pmas76, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016

pmas76 macrumors member

I purchased the following on November 1, 2016 from Apple.com and paid the following:

$19.00 - USB-C to USB Adapter (Now $9.00)
    $49.00 - Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter (Now $29.00)
    $49.00 - SanDisk Extreme Pro SD UHS-II Card USB-C Reader (Now $29.00)

I just got off the phone with 1-800-MY-APPLE. I asked for the sales department, explained the situation of the price reductions, gave them my web order number...within 5 minutes they gave me a credit back to my credit card for the $50 difference.

I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE THAT ALREADY PURCHASED THESE OVERPRICED DONGLES TO CALL NOW!

18. protoxx, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016

protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

Throwing a bone.

"Special pricing on this item for a limited time. Discount reflected in price.*"

19. HappyMacGuy macrumors member

But its a chained laptop with reduced ram capacity so you can run around with all of you dongles on the go! Hmmm, quite a bit of contradictions here. Someone needs to get their strategy straight.

20. NMBob macrumors 6502a

DongleBook Pro.

21. Tork macrumors regular

Tork

Order it from somewhere else -- Amazon has a bunch of them in stock.

22. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Ahh, only on MacWhiners TM where even price cuts by Apple are viewed with negativity and skepticism.

23. vjl323 macrumors regular

The problem is that when Apple replaced the 30-pin iPod/iPhone/iPad port/cable, with the Lightning one, they stated that Lightning would be a 10-year commitment, much like the 30-pin port. There were headaches for iOS device owners in having to change to the new standard, so I think the 10-year comment was meant to help folks realize that accessories they bought that featured the Lightning port, could be used for 10 years.

While I find it frustrating that iOS devices don't use USB-C either, I understand why Apple hasn't changed it.

24. Soni Sanjay macrumors 6502

Soni Sanjay

But I thought Apple was having a great strategy?
    This is panic mode on. Apologists were wrong yet again.

25. mongobongo macrumors member

This.

Yes!

If the iPhone 7 was USB-C it would have solved a few problems. Namely being able to plug it in out of the box (they could have included a USB-C to USB-A adapter for everyone else). Then the headphones would have been compatible too. Not to mention the convenience of being able to charge your phone at maximum speed with your MacBook Pro charger.

The worst part is that Apple have now locked them selves in. Imagine the outrage from everybody that bought lightning headphones if they would decide to switch to USB-C for iPhone 8.